Antidepressants...

iusman

I am 24, i just lost my love 3 months ago of 6 years 3months, do to the grass is greener syndrome. I clanged for 2.5 months and finally decided its time to do NC, I have been doing NC for 1.5 weeks now, I seem to get worse every day, i miss her like crazy, im feeling extremely lonely, I just don't think i can make it thru this i think about her first thing when i wake up, and the whoooooollleee entire day till i finally fall asleep, next day is the same pattern, I have a SSRI called Paroxetine 20MG. I am thinking about useing this for a long term to help me get over this is this a good idea, i am aware there are withdraw symptoms but i plan on using it for like 1 year until i feel like i am safely over her and can stop.... any thoughts...

You don't want to take anything that makes you goofy but there is nothing wrong with taking meds to help get your mind straight so you can heal. Don't just take them and expect everything to be great in X number of months. They won't make all the pain go away but they will help you cope better and clear the cloud of lost love that makes us all see things that aren't there. They have helped me.

lost

have you gone to therapy? maybe you just need some professional guidance to get you through this hump, and not rely on pills to suppress the pain? i haven't taken any prescriptions, although i'm not against it by any means. but therapy has helped me enough to not have to prescribe to medication. just a thought...

If you have trouble clearing obsessive thoughts anti-depressants can be extremely helpful. Certainly in my case they helped me be able to have choice in my thoughts and function normally - concentrate at work, relate well to friends and family etc. Before I took them I obsessed over my ex for many months and may never have got better. It can take a month or so before they start to work. I don't believe they are addictive in any real sense. They don't make you happy. They just let you get yourself back, live without obsession and live normally....in my experience anyway.

yes it has been 3 months, now almost 2 weeks of NC and i am CLEARLY obsessing about her, it is extreme, there is not a SINGLE minute i don't think about her, i am really getting worried about myself, i think SSRI anti depressants are only option for me.... is it regular to obsess about your ex from the second you wake up to the very second that you fall asleep..... I think about her all day, i just cry and cry and cry more its the worst case of obsessing possible, i unconsciously think of her its like i cant control my thoughts. She has been in my life 1/3 of my life i guess this is why its so hard for me to accept its really over.

hey iusman, ssri's may be just the thing, or you might get some relief from cognitive therapy. I think I know how you feel and it can be unbearable after a time. Get along to a GP as soon as you can, or ask someone to make an appointment for you if you're not up to it. Tell the doctor exactly how you feel and how long you've been suffering and he will get you help - either by prescribing or referring you to other help. But the transformation can be amazing - you can get yourself back pretty soon. Just try it, please. Feelings and thoughts are chemical and can be helped chemically - just like any other physical difficulty. If you're not coping you need to see someone soon. Take care.

I went to my Dr. the 8 weeks ago to have my blood lipids checked. They of course ask if there has been any recent changes to your life, etc. I mentioned that I have 4 kids and recently separated from my wife of 13 yrs. He stated no less than 4 times, " If you need something to help you sleep at night, anxiety or for depression I can help". I felt like I went from a Dr office to a street corner with a dealer pushing me to buy. I told him no thank you. Went back 6 weeks later and after the consult and he threw me the same pitches again. I know full well the affects of long term anti-depressions medications. My mother has been on them for over 15 yrs and she is a completely different person, in a bad way. Emotionally unstable, black teeth from the medications removing her enamel, etc. IMO they should be used to treat short term depression along with other therapies but are not a long term solution.

I have found that eating right, exercising and taking high dose omega-3 fish oils help me so much.

Archived