Friendzone or not?

djcoma1200

So I met this girl about 2 years ago when she really briefly was hanging out with my roommate/friend. At the time I had a girlfriend. Nothing ever became of her and my friend. We were friends and would see each other out and make plans ever so often to party.

This last Xmas I had a short fling with one of her good friends but nothing really came of that, and it didn't end badly or anything like that. She ended up going to Finland for the Spring semester and we chatted here and there on Facebook while she was away. She got back and we hung out a couple times over this summer but it was just friendly, I didn't think of her as anything more than a friend at that time.

Well this last month or so we suddenly have been hanging out a lot. It all started one night when she came to the bar I DJ at and I was spinning some house music which isn't very normal for that spot. She came up to me and started raving about how she loves house music since her trip to Finland and then started giving me tons of compliments about how she loves what I play when I DJ and that I'm really good and she's glad I took over for the previous guy. I end up having a gig in Seattle (7 hours away) during the week of Halloween and she knew about it and ended up riding over with me and some friends because she had a job interview there.

That is when I first started liking her because we spent a lot of normal time together outside of the party scene which is the only way we really hung out before. It wasn't like me and her were 1 on 1 either. Since then she's come over a few times to after party after the bars with a group of us friends. One night she even slept in my bed with me but it wasn't more than cuddling.

So I really want to ask her on a date, but she is going to New Zealand for a year in June. I know because of that she isn't looking for anything real serious, which I'm not either, but that doesn't have to mean that there will be nothing between because of that, does it? I also can't tell if she thinks of me as a really good friend now or is actually attracted to me as I have become to her. With a lot of girls I could have figured that out by now but I could see it going either way with her. I also enjoy hanging out with her as friends so I am cool either way but this could definitely put a kink in the friendship because it will be awkward if she thinks of me as just a friend but I am willing to risk that.

What do you think I should do? Ask her out on a date or just keep things the way they are so not to make our friendship awkward? If I'm going to make a move on her I know I gotta do it soon or else the chance will be lost. Thanks for any advice u can give.

Oh I could easily probably find out what she thinks of me by asking her friend that I had a thing with for a short time and she would tell me no problem, but I also see that as a potential bad thing if it got back to the girl that I asked her friend about what she thinks of me. Should I take that route or not?

I think she's interested, I mean c'mon, she slept in your bed with you, she's obviously pretty comfortable with being somewhat physical.

at the same time, she's leaving in June for a year, so ask yourself if you want to deal with the possibility of an LDR and all the drama that comes with it.

Thanks for the response orangesoda. I really don't think either of us would be looking for an LDR while she's gone and that's where the problem lies. I don't want to take away from her experience in a place like New Zealand.

Any ideas on what I could do with her for a date? Keep in mind Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights I DJ from 9pm - 2am so those are out of the question.

Archived