My Job And The Economic Crisis Is Really Starting To Bring Me Down...

And I don't mean down just as in depressed for a bit then ok. This is making me depressed for hours, days, all day sometimes. I try not to think of it. I hate my job which alone is enough stress to deal with. I don't enjoy night shift, but am glad that there is no customer interaction. The job is just so dull and one of those "Dead end" type jobs. Plus its minimum wage...

I don't know. I let a lot of things get to me that really do not have to but they do. I want to do my own thing. I want my own bussiness but have no money. I even would like to try writing for some greeting card companies and see where that goes, I write a lot of poetry after all and my dream is to write and such. I want to do something I enjoy and enjoy life at the same time. I have yet to find this balance and it drives me nuts.

I just want to give up sometimes. All kinds of prices on food went up, its hard enough for me and my boyfriend to both eat, hardly even healthy because of the price jump... It just sucks so bad. And I am sorry that I am venting but doing it here feels better than in a journal. I have work tonight, don't want to go, just want to quit and try and do my own thing. Though I get along with most of the people there I find it long, annoying and tireing and certain people there get on my nerves and they are way older than me. Just so "bah...crappy" lol

I just hate being in moods all the time it does affect my relationship some what to, though my boyfriend has been quite supportive and wants me to be happy. He found a job he is happy at so thats all good for him. And I know we need money to get by and did on just his pay before. I just don't wanna waste my time job jumping you know? Or going to college and hating it and crap. Which is why I want my own bussiness and such.

I guess I just need some advice on what to do? Let it be I guess is the best anwser and work and work on the greeting card thing, so hard to though for some reason.... With work I come home and lose motivation to do anything I need outta this rut... Any help?

There are many people in your shoes. One of the comments often made of Gen Y and even parts of Gen X is that they have never seen "tough" economic times.

I'm a baby boomer but unlike conventional wisdom, my first experience with "tough" times was 1987. There have been a few repetitions since then. So I remember in 1987 going through the same fears.

With the hindsight of some experience, I can say to you that it will be a cycle and there will be some point in the next 10 years where we will generally be able to make the assertion that "the economy has never been stronger". In the meantime, people are going to learn a lot.

Hi InvisibleWound,

I can completely relate with you. I graduated from art school with a bachelor's degree but am still working at an unrelated crappy job because in my field you have to start your own business, there really aren't any sallary jobs. I've tried to produce art in my spare time after work and I even got a website and a business license all set up, but a lot of times when I get home I'm so drained. I've read interviews with successful freelance artists who say that self motivation (as opposed to going to work and having an employer give you deadlines) is one of the hardest things.

Nearly every detail of your post is similar to my situation. I would have thought with a bachelor's degree that I'd be able to get at least a better paying job than the one I have now, even if it's not related to my field, but with the economy and everything it's been a pain in the butt to find one. You're definitely not alone. Just try to keep your chin up and keep working on your writing. Even a small accomplishment like writing a piece and submitting it to a few places can do wonders for your self-esteme. Even if it doesn't get accepted you can still feel a sense of accomplishment because you put yourself out there and tried. I know too many people who just want to show up at work, go home and watch tv, then get drunk on the weekends.

Good luck with your writing!

I get your point, but you comment is hardly helpful. It's like if someone has a car accident and has numerous broken ribs and is in horrible pain and you tell them that people before them have had broken ribs and gotten better. Maybe so, but how helpful is that ???

Anyway, to the original poster, I am sorry you and your boyfriend are working and you are still living in poverty.

Have you talked to a social worker about what social assistance there maybe available ? Even working people are entitled to a lot of benefits from the governnment if they are low income, such as rent assistance.

There maybe be religious groups or other social services in your local area that can help. Maybe call a crisis line and they can hook you up with some help you need. When I was a crisis line volunteer, I helped tons of poor and homeless people get connected with some assistance.

There are many people in your shoes. One of the comments often made of Gen Y and even parts of Gen X is that they have never seen "tough" economic times.

I'm a baby boomer but unlike conventional wisdom, my first experience with "tough" times was 1987. There have been a few repetitions since then. So I remember in 1987 going through the same fears.

With the hindsight of some experience, I can say to you that it will be a cycle and there will be some point in the next 10 years where we will generally be able to make the assertion that "the economy has never been stronger". In the meantime, people are going to learn a lot.

It's like if someone has a car accident and has numerous broken ribs and is in horrible pain and you tell them that people before them have had broken ribs and gotten better. Maybe so, but how helpful is that ???

Hope and being able to see a better future is probably the most potent motivator at all. People who have no hope give up.

Well yeah but really things could be worse... I look t my parents who are retired and have no income coming in. They had a lot of money in shares which dropped 70%. For someone like me, even though I'm not really young ( I'm 31) I still have years of working to save. And yeah sometimes its tough.. I agree with melrich, people of my generation have certainly never been through a huge economic recession.. or yeah in the late eighties.. but I was young then and economics weren't my priority then.

right now its just a case of people not being able to fund their extravagent lifetyles. People don't want to cut back. Yes many people are losing their jobs and it is awful and I feel for them. There really isn't anything we can do aside from keep trying and keep trying to enjoy our lives.

Hope and being able to see a better future is probably the most potent motivator at all. People who have no hope give up.

I agree. Negativity starts with people being depressed about their job, then depressed and nor performing well at their job, then losing their job, then being too down to go out and look for a job or put any effort in.

We have to have hope that it will get better or it never will.

I agree with this.

I would also like to say that worry about things we cannot control is a useless activity. It is hard NOT to worry, but the economy is what it is, and as long as you are gainfully employed try to roll with the punches and make the most of it. Your worry wno't change a thing. If you really hate your job, are you doing anything to find another one? Finding a new job while employed is the best way to go about it. Put your resume out on job boards and network a great deal. Interviewing and looking doesn't mean you have to leave your current job, but on the chance you find one that is a better match you will be happy that you were out there and looking around.

It provides hope Nightpumpkin. If somene said they broke their ribs and ten years later they were in agonizing pain, then no hope is instilled. But to say they did and a year later they were bouncing back, it gives one something to look forward to.

It also encourages positive thinking. Negative mindsets can destroy a person's entire outlook on life.

I'm a baby-boomer and I've seen all of this before (yawn). It will pass, it always does. Just hang in there and don't do anything foolish with either your time or your money. Hang on to your job and when the economy fixes itself (it always does), it is then that you pursue your dreams. Right now, just work on survival.

. In the meantime, people are going to learn a lot.

What are they going to learn ?

Why are there so many well off people that seem happy that poor people will be suffering even more than they are now ?

I just don't understand. They could not predict what is happening . They have gotten it all totally wrong. Yet, we are supposed to believe that it will all just get better on its own ? Even when through all their genius they let some of the worlds biggest financial institutions collapse.

I don't believe anyone really has a clue what is going on. Those who do have a clue aren't listened to because what they're saying goes against classical theories that are followed with almost religious dogma.

The economy here is fine, here we will probably just have downturn but what is happening in the USA is something different, at least in my opinion.. Few other places are as bad as the USA, there is a downturn but there is definitely something aside from business cycles that is dragging the USA down.

Stay positive for sure because there is always another day but I think the attitude that it will all blow over like nothing has ever happened is just a lie. Prepare yourself and if need be develop the skills needed to immigrate.

I shudder when I think about what a lot of young Americans my age must be going through. I have a lot of respect for those of you with kind hearts.

Regardless of economic times, if you want to do something different than what you are doing, you need to have a realistic plan of how you are going to get from here to there and then work to implement the plan.

So you hate your job and want to own your own business. Sitting around hating your job and being depressed isn't going to get you your own business.

Believe it or not, time if the most valuable thing you have. So you have a job you don't like, that is boring. How do you use your 'boring' time and time off work? Are you doing research on starting your own business, or finding a career that will be more interesting to you. Or are you just sitting there saying, 'woe is me'.

So your first task is to start doing research on what you need to do to get a better job, then train or educate yourself to do it (if that is what you need) or follow other steps it takes to get you out of your rut and into something productive. Nothing will happen if you just sit there feeling sorry for yourself. People who succeed use their spare time to plan, educate, and execute their plans.

Perhaps you are clinically depressed, and the depression is keeping you from succeeding. Consider visiting a doctor to see if medication can help.

People can take the worst of economic times and turn them into huge opportunities. In fact, there is research showing that when times are bad economically, many new business that turn into later success get started out of necessity because people can't find a traditional job. There are many business that don't require a lot of capital to start. And most small businesses get started on the side, on nights and weekends, when people are working boring jobs like the one you have now.

You can start planning tomorrow, if you get off your 'poor me' mode and into the planning mode. Visit a doctor to see if you have clinical depression and get that treated with medication if necessary, and get on your way to planning a better life.

Thank you everyone for responding and thanks for the link TO L8.

BeStrongBeHappy - I know what you are saying is true. I already have ideas in my head and some on paper for doing my own bussiness and half started but lose motivation when I get depressed or for whatever other reason I guess.

I have done a lot of research, mostly months ago but a lot... I see what you are saying though. When I get down it always hits me hard and pretty much kills my positive attitude for days and crap. So that is where motivation loss starts. Which then yes makes me sit around staring at the wall hating everything. But yeah just wanted you to know I have been in the planning mode since Febuary, oblivously I never did get as much work done as planned but some... I would like to get back into it though. Just tonight though I did some work on getting traffic to my page so that is good. its a start.

I guess that is all that really matters right now anyways is that start, educate and keep working on it.

Thanks again guys

Archived