I'm feeling really self-destructive...

We've been broken up a couple of weeks and I haven't spoken to him at all, which I'm glad about.

Since then I have been going out waaay too much. Drinking way more than I should be, not to mention other things. Last weekend was a 48 hour bender for which I'm still paying for. The sad thing is I would rather be doing this then staying at home drowning myself in self pity.

I do feel like I'm losing my head a bit. I'm more angry about things then upset about them, but I think the anger is coming out in partying as much as I can so I'm too numb to think about anything...

I'm not really sure if I'm looking for advice here or if I just want to know if anyone does this...

I think that your way of dealing with the situation is the best. Not to be getting drunk to the point to where you feel it a few days later of course. It is good to hear that you are working out like crazy. That is what I do when I go through a heartache. I think you are doing great.

As far as the tattoos.... just make sure they are ones that you REALLY want rather then tattoos that say "Rot in He|| _____" lol

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you got it together!

I'm in the same boat. I've been going out a ton. It's better than sitting in my house alone. I'm not getting completely crushed every nite, but I'm out having fun and hoping to run into some pretty single ladies.

I think that what you are doing is ok within reason. Don't overdo it, though You don't want become dependent on alcohol. Plus hangovers just plain ba-low.

Tonight is $2.00 Jagerbomb night, so of course I am going out. Uncle Jager, nice to see you again! OH LOOK! Aunt Red Bull is here too!

lol. jagerbombs are the devil...

I'm not writing myself off every night, when I go out if I find myself struggling to hold a conversation I back off on the drinking until I can. I only socially drink too, I don't sit in a dark room by myself and do it. Still, in saying that, I have been consuming copious amounts of alcohol which can't be good. For my back pocket or my liver.

Do you think pushing the thoughts to the back of my mind will only be detrimental to me later on down the track, or could I successfully get over my ex this way?? Cause I must say it sure feels a hell of a lot better then sitting at home depressed.

As long as you're not causing any harm to yourself, i.e. burning yourself out, then i'd say whatever makes you feel good and helps you get through the no contact. I can be a little bit reclused too so i'm making the effort to go out the weekend, then make plans for the week etc. I still like my quiet nights to myself to just chill etc so i'm hoping i can find a balance!!

Alcohol dulls the pain...in some cases, it makes you forget it altogether. Problem is, you haven't really dealt with it. So at some point, when you stop drinking, it will come back and bite you. Only then, it will feel a thousand times worse.

Find things to do that keep you busy and distracted without getting loaded. You need to heal, not repress. Your thread title says it all.

Don't stop going out or having a drink or too. But don't bury yourself in a bottle or shot glass...it makes things worse.

exercise helps a lot. Distracting yourself with friends and family is always a good way to keep busy.

However, you do have to just accept the feelings, experience them, cry if that's how you feel...cry a lot of if that's how you feel...write letters expressing everything that's on your mind...then throw them out...listen to loud music...

I listened to Daughtry's "Over You" on an almost continuous loop...lol. The thing about that song, besides it just being a cool song to listen to and sing along with is that it's obvious that the writer went through everything that a lot of people on here write about every day.

And I listened to an interview with Chris Daughtry where he basically said, "The songs about when someone leaves you...you think the world is ending...then, eventually, someone better comes along..."

And I listened to an interview with Chris Daughtry where he basically said, "The songs about when someone leaves you...you think the world is ending...then, eventually, someone better comes along..."

I don't know Chris Daughtry, but he is basically right, I hope ... but it always starts with the crushing feeling after a split again...

I have also broken up with my bf and I tend to become a recluse, too. My way of coping is to procrastinate. I only do what is necessary and I'm not happy with it. It only prolongs the agonie. Maybe it's a calm way to punish me, to take all the responsibility for the ending, although I know it's not true that way...

Best wishes.

PS.: English is not my mothertongue. If I wrote funny English, please don't mind to correct me.

Archived