dad hung up on me-so angry!!

Daligal83

shayshay-I'm sorry you're going through all that right now. I think your mom missed the point that it wasn't about how she doesn't do things for you, but how she went back on your word. Maybe it's worth trying to explain that to her, especially since you have a baby coming. You'll want her support. Congrats on the baby by the way!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same situation when I moved to college. I was 18, broken down on the side of the freeway in the middle of LA. The thing is, you can't be a baby about these things. If you need tires changed, go take care of it. Making it a big ordeal actually lets them see that you need their help. I took care of my situation... got my radiator fixed... and had to get rides from friends. You just take care of things.

So, when they were offering help, and you got mad... that made them mad. Truth is, your parents aren't gonna be around forever. So relying on them for tire advice is something you should figure out. I know you wanna relax, but some things are more important... discussing tires is such a little thing.

I think I have an idea of how you feel with your parents. My situation with my mom was she would volunteer to do something nice for me or give me something without me even asking for it. She was so sweet when she gave it to me, but believe me it came with a huge price. She would inevitably bring up everything she either gave me or did for me and I was suppose to be "grateful" and "obey" her in every instance of my life. It's their way of still having power over you. It's not worth it really. I finally stopped taking any of her gifts or favors and when she got mad at me she threatened me with the last thing she could which was herself. She disowned me. Yep, that's the ultimate power play and even though it has been painful, it's also been liberating. I don't have to be put on her guilt trips anymore or feel obligated to her with my life.

Archived