Don't feel like my parents are the positive influence they should be...

Alabama

I am getting very close to graduating. Yet as such my parents seem to see it differently. I will not graduate on time and thus will have to take 3 more classes over two semesters to finish. My grades are pretty decent ( a few C's but mostly B's and a few A's) but that is not good enough. I go home for a weekend to enjoy myself and rest (I'm also an RA). Yet instead they seem mad and give me a lecture on getting good grades for jobs (since they will first look at your GPA and that is what matters). I don't drink, I'm an Eagle Scout, I'm a good person, I have studied abroad in Japan. I also am responsible and have friends. Despite all the good things in my life, this is always brought up. It is nothing like I have done so far or will do, will ever please them. I don't care about anybody else, but my parents are the ones I want to please. I just want to graduate and move on. I know they are trying to help me by telling me to bring up my GPA, but it just scares me instead...sorry just needed to vent.

It sounds like you have alot going for you. I've noticed that some parents place a huge emphasis on grades to the point of putting unnecessary stress on their kids and it has always bothered me. Be proud of yourself that you're doing your best. Maybe you should speak to your parents and tell them that what they're doing is causing problems for you...they probably don't even realize what they're doing.

Archived