What should I do about my job?

PsychGirly
How to Quit Your Job in Less Than S...
How to Quit Your Job in Less Than Six Months Using Real Estate Investing

So I've been working at the same place for the past 4 years. It's a real estate office. I have 1 boss, & 6 other coworkers (real estate agents).

Today, my boss called me in his office, & told me that "we're not doing so well" & "business is horrible", & that he needs to cut down my hours. I work 7 hours a day, 5 days a week. He wants to cut it down to 3 hours a day, which would come out to approximately $600/month.

He gave me a few options:

1) He can keep me full-time til the end of this month, & then cut my hours down starting December 1 (where I'll be working 3 hours a day).

2) He can cut my hours down as of November 15, but pay me cash so I can register for Unemployment (ILLEGAL).

I'm not ok with any of these options. I don't feel that it's fair for me to work 3hours a day. If that's the case, I mind as well find a new job. I want to work part-time, but 3 hours isn't even considered part-time here.

I feel really betrayed. I'm not sure what to do. I'm thinking of just telling him to write a letter stating that I was laid-off, & I'll just register for Unemployment for the next few months, until I can find a new job.

I'm so confused! What do you guys suggest?

First off im sorry to hear about that babe.. the economy sucks right now.. I would keep the part-time job and at the same time look for a new job.. once u find a new job leave ur old one..

Look on the bright side at least u will have more time to talk to me

LOL but the thing is, if I stay here for 3 hours a day, I won't get Unemployment checks.

If I work here part-time, it'll come out to barely $600/month. However, if I leave here, I'll get Unemployment of about $800/month until I find a new job.

That's my dilemma.

What if you work part-time and then get a second job? That way, you can continue on in the real-estate business.. if things pick up, you will have more experience and stick on with this job and maybe get full time hours again.. if you quit completely then you will have lost out getting more experience in this area.

i definitely think u should just go with unemployment then..its more money. stay as long as u can full-time but then after that just let it go so u can collect unemployment and find a new job.

it's tough to lose a job, but consider this job experience that will help further your career.

Instead of working 3 hours a day every day, see if you can work 7 1/2 hours, 2 days per week. Then you have the other days entirely free while you look for another job. Maybe you can get another part-time job quickly, while looking for a better job, like working as a waitress in the mean time, that way you would probably make more than the $800 unemployment would have paid. On the other hand, you're not working while getting that $800 in unemployment.

LOL but the thing is, if I stay here for 3 hours a day, I won't get Unemployment checks.

If I work here part-time, it'll come out to barely $600/month. However, if I leave here, I'll get Unemployment of about $800/month until I find a new job.

That's my dilemma.

then go with unemployment .. s

What if you work part-time and then get a second job? That way, you can continue on in the real-estate business.. if things pick up, you will have more experience and stick on with this job and maybe get full time hours again.. if you quit completely then you will have lost out getting more experience in this area.

I'm not an agent, I'm just a receptionist.

i would go with the cash and unemployment.. and try to find a better job or maybe business will pu by then and you can stay...

yes its not the most honest way.. but your boss is who offered it... if you were going behind his back and doing it then its different... its a crazy world sometimes we have to do what we have to do.. i wouldnt fell guilty about it...

Instead of working 3 hours a day every day, see if you can work 7 1/2 hours, 2 days per week. Then you have the other days entirely free while you look for another job. Maybe you can get another part-time job quickly, while looking for a better job, like working as a waitress in the mean time, that way you would probably make more than the $800 unemployment would have paid. On the other hand, you're not working while getting that $800 in unemployment.

I thought of that, too...but that wasn't one of the options he offered me. Quite frankly, I'm not willing to do as he says. He shouldn't be the one limiting my options. I'm just gonna consult with my mom tonight & see what she recommends. Most likely, I'm gonna tell him to just lay me off & I'll apply for unemployment. In the meantime, I'll look for a better job.

i would go with the cash and unemployment.. and try to find a better job or maybe business will pu by then and you can stay...

yes its not the most honest way.. but your boss is who offered it... if you were going behind his back and doing it then its different... its a crazy world sometimes we have to do what we have to do.. i wouldnt fell guilty about it...

It's not that I feel guilty about it. I just don't wanna be involved in a scandal like that. I mean, there has to be some ulterior motive behind his offer. Why would he be willing to pay me cash & fool the government into thinking he laid me off? No boss would set himself up for shi* with the government just to help out his employee. Doesn't make sense to me.

It's not that I feel guilty about it. I just don't wanna be involved in a scandal like that. I mean, there has to be some ulterior motive behind his offer. Why would he be willing to pay me cash & fool the government into thinking he laid me off? No boss would set himself up for shi* with the government just to help out his employee. Doesn't make sense to me.

true.. i dont know what kind of rel you have with him... it could be that he wants something.. or it could be that he values you as a good employee and he doesnt want this to effect you financialy...

but taking the safe way.. is always good...

true.. i dont know what kind of rel you have with him... it could be that he wants something.. or it could be that he values you as a good employee and he doesnt want this to effect you financialy...

but taking the safe way.. is always good...

We have a pretty informal relationship. He's very open with me...but today just seemed really scandalous. He said "Don't be offended, and don't think that I don't wanna work with you. I love you, and I want the best for you. I wanna work with you as long as you're willing to work with me..."

I'm not an agent, I'm just a receptionist.

Then start looking for another job asap. If you don't get one, then keep the part time hours and look for something else. When you are working part-time, you will have much more time in the day to look for other jobs and not have to take time off to go to interviews.

Is your broker part of a national chain (C-21, ReMax, Coldwell Banker, Etc.)?

Can he pay you 1099 as a consultant so you can still collect unemployment?

Can he talk to local brokers to share your receptionist skills with them to spread the payroll?

You can also ask him to pay a set referral fee from each deal on the HUD-1 and 1099 you at the end of the year to legally avoid unemployment fraud. I'm pretty sure you can collect unemployment and declare what you're earning on the side as a consultant and they'll make up the difference. That's what I do with my younger sister since she was laid off at work.

Is your broker part of a national chain (C-21, ReMax, Coldwell Banker, Etc.)?

Can he pay you 1099 as a consultant so you can still collect unemployment?

Can he talk to local brokers to share your receptionist skills with them to spread the payroll?

You can also ask him to pay a set referral fee from each deal on the HUD-1 and 1099 you at the end of the year to legally avoid unemployment fraud. I'm pretty sure you can collect unemployment and declare what you're earning on the side as a consultant and they'll make up the difference. That's what I do with my younger sister since she was laid off at work.

No, he's not part of a national chain. There are no referral fees. I only work for him as a secretary, not a real estate agent.

Archived