Ways to Save Money! :D

I thought I would start this thread since the economy is not doing well in some areas.

If you can think of, or know some ways to save money, feel free to post them here.

One way I found to save money is you can now get your ink cartridges for your copier/printer/faxer at, Office Max or Office Depot. sorry, i get them confused.

well, a black ink cartridge for my printer was only $10. I need to get the color printer filled as well, and that is only $15, as opposed to $30 or more at even a place like Walmarts!

So.. come here and tell us YOUR ways to save a buck.

OH, I also found this store, called Steve & Harry's.. and their clothes are unbelievably cheap... but nice clothes nonetheless.. Nice shirts for like 2 for $8 or $4.98.. They had nice slacks you could wear to work for $8... It was like finding buried treasure.

So... come on people.. tell us all where you find bargains, or can save some money in these troubled times.

Or, if you can, don't use your printer.

If you are like me and use your printer for about 5 pages of print every month or so, it's better to get charged the 10 cents at the library. Ink dries out even when you aren't using it. I didn't bring my printer to school this year. It saved me a lot of money and effort too. It never really worked to begin with (like all personal printers) and the library ones are a lot more people friendly.

If you live in an area that gets cold in the winter, get those window sealers & long sock things to put under the door to keep the cold air out & save on heating/electricity.

Get those energy-saver light bulbs. They are expensive to buy but in the end you will save money.

I saw a motorcycle that can get 78 MPG!!

That's all I can think of for now...

I think it's Steve and Barry's but I know, so awesome. It's hard to shop there and places like Walmart sometimes because of ethical considerations, but you really save SO MUCH money.

*My bf and I buy store brands of everything. We save at least two bucks on each item.

*Make a huge effort to turn off all lights when you don't need them. Cuts your bills down.

*Don't use ATM's that charge fees, and watch for gas stations that charge extra for credit/debit usage.

*BUY CLEARANCE! hehe

*Use coupons- I guess that really helps. People get stuff for cheap anymore.

That's all I can think of for now.

You know what I found out? the dollar store sells the Sunday paper for only $1! they usuaully charge $1.50 plus tax.

My library charges me 25 cents! And I gotta drive to get there.. I can go to Kinkos' but by the time I add up the gas & time to get there. i might as well get the ink cartridges re-fillled.. Besides, I spent like $400 on the copier.. it's a 4-in-1, I might as well use it.

Oh.. I found out that t-mobile gives land lines for only $10.. but.. you gotta use their cell phone service too.. Still that beats the national phone co. that charges me $40 for basically nothing but basic service!

I also heard that Kmart is starting to advertise high-speed internet for only $12.95 though not found any stores yet that do so....

Oh, yeah, Steve & Barry's! rotflol. my bad.. isn't that a great store? I have no ethical concerns about them.. They didn't mind sending all our jobs out of the country and letting the foreigners come in and take them now, did they?

I think its hard to save, when everything shoots up in price.

Gas and electric in UK, has shot up by over 50% and all I seem to be doing lately, is topping up my cards with money to keep the electric and gas supply on...and I hardly use any electric anyway. Not like my washing machine is going 24/7 or the cooker on all day...as for heating, can only afford to have that going at night for an hour and it's like frigging Siberia over here at the minute. I invested in a hot water bottle...eitha that or I would have been froze to death by now!!!

The price of food is ridiculous!! I guess we should all return to primitive days and grow our own and hunt our food perhaps.

It's a complete joke. Undoutedly there are thousands and thousands who will go hungry and cold this year and in this day and age, it shouldn't have to be!

Or, if you can, don't use your printer.

If you are like me and use your printer for about 5 pages of print every month or so, it's better to get charged the 10 cents at the library. Ink dries out even when you aren't using it. I didn't bring my printer to school this year. It saved me a lot of money and effort too. It never really worked to begin with (like all personal printers) and the library ones are a lot more people friendly.

I agree...my school gives us free printing even though I need to walk a couple blocks for it in the cold. It's totally worth it. I can't imagine printing 300 pages worth of reading a month on my personal printer. Really glad I didn't bring my printer!

Shop the thrift stores. The stigma is gone, I see lots of upper/middle class people there now.

2 pairs Lee jeans, 4 sweatshirts and a London Fog raincoat...$25.00 All in excellent condition.

Totally agree!

I bought a bunch of baby clothes for my grandson, no stains or tears. Excellent condition for 1.25 a piece........I didn't really see the point of going to a store and spending more money on clothes that he is only going to wear for a like a month or so because he is growing so fast.

Next tip......you can rent movies at the local library. Some are free, the library by my house charges 1.50 for like 3 days. Way cheaper than going to the local video store.

Coupons....Use them where you can. Check and see if your market has a special day where they double them.

Also, sign up online with different coupon sites. Not only can you get manufacturers coupons for the grocery store in addition to any coupons you might find in your Sunday paper, you can also get coupons for retail stores and fast food places.

My favorite coupon that I get online is for the Reebok Outlet stores. 20% off their already low prices.

In addition to what others have already said, buy what you can in bulk. For example, I buy my coffee in bulk. I love the Dunkin' Donuts brand. At the grocery store, it's usually about $7 for a small bag. I get it at Sam's Club in bulk for $11-12 for what is basically 3 of the smaller bags. I also buy their larger packages of meat, bring them home, divide them into smaller packages and throw them into the freezer. Of course, you have to have the space to store it and watch the prices because not everything is cheaper, but sometimes, it's worth it to spend a few cents more if I'm getting it all in one trip because I'm saving more than that in gas.

I'm with Bank of America, & they have a "Keep the Change" program, where I save about 10 bucks a month. The way it works is, everytime I use my debit card to purchase something, it rounds the dollar amount off to the nearest dollar, & throws that extra change into my savings account.

Basically, if I buy a drink for $2.20, it rounds it off to $3.00, & automatically transfers .80 to my savings account.

Its a good way to unconsciously save a few bucks a month.

For those of you that might have an elderly person or disabled person living in your home, you can check with the local utility companies to see if they offer a discount.

Because I have my grandchildren which are legally fosters at this time, I get a 20% discount each month on my electric bill.

Also many electric companies will give you 50.00 dollars and haul away your old money guzzling fridge if you buy a newer energy effecient one.

I'm with Bank of America, & they have a "Keep the Change" program, where I save about 10 bucks a month. The way it works is, everytime I use my debit card to purchase something, it rounds the dollar amount off to the nearest dollar, & throws that extra change into my savings account.

Basically, if I buy a drink for $2.20, it rounds it off to $3.00, & automatically transfers .80 to my savings account.

Its a good way to unconsciously save a few bucks a month.

I use this too!! I have saved seriously hundreds this way already this year. Its pretty cool.

Good deals~~~

Well... quitting smoking is gonna save me roughly $1500 a year... Yeah!

Additionally, we buy all our meat from "Market Day." It's a program ran through the school. Works well for us because it's only me and my two little ones. We usually get enough chicken breast, hamburger (only 4 pounds,) chicken tenders, string cheese, biscuits, breadsticks, frozen vegetables and snacks for about $120.00. Still have to go to the store for milk, eggs, butter and fresh veggies but - it's always a tiny list and easier to refrain from buying "just because..."

Yeah, and has anyone here in America ever listened to Dave Ramsey on the AM radio!

talk about a saving freak! No, he's really good honestly, good advice.

I think having a debit card, while that sounds like a GREAT deal with Bank of American, truly, actually leads to you spending MORE money, not less!

For some reason, though I know I'm trying to pick up bargain at the grocery store, I seem to be spending ALOT of money there these past few weeks. I tink I spent over $100 last week, of course, some stuff will last me for a few weeks, but still.....

YOu know, it's that PLASTIC thing, which, seems like somehow, you'll not have to pay it. Also paying on TIME saves money cuz then you are not charged the late fees for stuff like electric bills, phone bills & cell phone bills (which charge you like $5 a month!)

Oh, for the Lord's sake, be SURE to pay your CREDIT CARDS on TIME! Lordy, they charge you like $39 for late fees.

Yeah. the thrift stores are a good place to save money but dont' even bother trying to bring your stuff in there and get a decent amount for them!

They'll give you pennies on the dollars, even if stuff is in pristine condition!

Anyone try to sell stuff thru E-bay? I got a bunch of household stuff, some still in their original packages, never used, I'd like to try sell on there.. How hard is it?

I did set up a pay-pal account a long time ago.. dont' even know how to access it anymore....

I wonder how long this recession will last? Too bad our country couldn't win like a worldwide lottery or something!

hey, that's another way, possibly to save money. Don't keep buying cups of coffee, buy a $1 lottery ticket instead!

Oh, i love Dunkin Donuts coffee dont' you have to pay liek $25 a year though to get to be a member with sam's club?

Archived