Need help with the anxiety/panic attacks

jengh

As many of you know, I'm going through a break up right now. Add that to the stress of school and money and other various crap, it's getting to be a lot.

So, for the past week or so I've been getting these AWFUL anxiety attacks that just won't really go away. I've tried relaxation, deep breathing, medication (klonopin and xanax)...nothing is working. It's getting to be really scary because my heart actually HURTS. I've had panic attacks in the past, but they ALWAYS go away when I take a klonopin.

I had one about 3 hours ago, took 2 klonopin and my heart STILL hurts. I don't really know what to do.

Any suggestions? I'm going to talk to my doctor but I don't have an appointment until Thanksgiving.

physical activity usually helps me during an anxiety attack, i've got to be moving...or i feel like i will lose it, and my heart freaks out too. so, speed walking/running, riding my bike...exercise of some sort sometimes helps it pass more quickly for me, even dancing...haha. worth a try girl!

Ativan is a good med that worked for me. I just looked at your threads and see it's only been about a week since the breakup...time is what will help more than anything else. Try to distract yourself as much as you can, even though I know that's hard to do. I'm sorry you're going through this.

Thank you for the replies=)

Melly, I haven't tried the physical activity. For some reason, it didn't occur to me as blatantly obvious as it is=) Though, at 3:18am there isn't much I can do right now.

Green, I've actually tried Ativan. It didn't really work that well for me. I know breakups are a normal part of life and everyone (almost) goes through them but I really thought there was potential for something great (don't we all, though... I guess that's not saying much) and that's what kills me.

I'm actually doing alright emotion-wise. I'm not losing it (except yesterday when I found out he cheated) anymore. I'm pretty composed and have accepted it... I just don't get why I'm having such serious anxiety.

but I really thought there was potential for something great (don't we all, though... I guess that's not saying much) and that's what kills me.

lol....that's how I ended up having to take Ativan! It worked for me, but I found it made me tired, which at the time I didn't mind because sleep was a way for me to not have to think about it.

what about late at night though? I can't move around much as I'm in an apartment complex and noise is an issue. I have a pilates video but actually DOING it is another story.

Gah... it's still not going away tonight. It's bad. My pulse has returned to normal but the heart is still bothering me.

I made it through 18 months of terrible anxiety from a work related situation and never once took a pill (I refuse to take them). Just deep breathing - through the nose, expanding your lungs full capacity, slowly releasing - even though your heart is hammering you have to force the slow breathing. It tells your brain not to release the cortisol from your adrenal gland anymore.

The problem you are facing is that once cortisol is released, it is just like caffeine. It takes several hours for it to be broken down and removed from your bloodstream.

I also used Dr Bach's flower remedies - Aspen is my favorite. I use about a dozen drops in a 4 oz glass of water. Boiron's Sedalia homeopathic tablets mixed with Quietude can take some of the edge off before sleep, but not if you are in a full fledged attack already.

dragonlady, the klonopin USED to work really well. I don't know if maybe I'm just too used to it... I try not to rely on it or take it very often but maybe I just need a higher dosage.

CO, I'm going to look into the Dr. Bach stuff.

It's the next day (since I posted) and I'm STILL anxious I can't stand this feeling. I wish I could get to a doctor sooner but mine is 4 hours north and I just don't have the time. I'd rather not start seeing someone else as she's a GREAT doctor and knows my entire history. Gah.

oh yea...rescue remedy is GREAT...definitely look in to it...and maybe try and set up a morning and nighttime yoga routine...just to start and end your day right...

here are some breathing techniques

link removed

practice those 1st and when you feel an attack coming on try and get in childs pose

link removed

here's an article on anxiety and yoga:

link removed

How to leave an abusive relationshi...
How to leave an abusive relationship and why it's so hard

Archived