Tips on how to get out of depression

More so without medication.

I'm having a hard time with this break up and just want to know what have others done to make themselves feel better.

I know time heals but can anything help the process??

Foods?? Natural remedies??

Anything that you can share would be very much appreciated.

Stay active, keep your brain occupied. Call on your good friends and tell them you really need them to listen to you complain over and over until YOU are tired of it not them. Work out to use up those stress chemicals. PRAY! I am going to counseling and it really helps if you have the resources do it! Remember we are a social beings the cruelest thing we can do is put someone in solitary confinement. There is a reason for that we don't like to be alone. If you are hurting try to avoid being alone if you can be in public with people with family with friends. Heartbreak is second only to grief and losing a loved one. You will be so sad. Know and accept this. When you need to cry do it. Cry hard!! That is your body releasing. Allow yourself to be sad for a time its normal. I wish there was a quick fix God knows I would take it this second but there isn't. We just have to get in our minds that this will be a slow process of layers pealing off. We will feel a little better each day but not better all together. That will happen someday down the road when we least expect it. Keep coming here and getting support you are not alone!!

By not blaming yourself for the breakup is a help too.Sure,you are not perfect,but who is?

By accepting your faults and looking at bettering yourself you will feel positive energy.

By accepting you ex was a flawed person too will help.He too had his faults and is not as perfect as your mind is thinking right now.I know I put my ex on a pedestal after she ended with me,but now I see her for what she is.....flawed,just like me.

Sounds cliche, but I keep a notebook and writing utensil with me at all times. I don't keep a journal or a "diary" or anything like that, but sometimes my head feels so crammed with so many different emotions I don't know what to do with all of them. So I take out the notebook, wherever I am, write down every single thing running through my mind, and I really do feel better. I mostly write down words of wisdom and positive reinforcement for myself over and over again. I don't go back and read anything, sometimes I even tear it up and throw it in the trash. Doesn't matter how messy my writing is, or whether or not it makes any sense. It's a very good way for me to clear my mind.

Natural health remedies: 5-HTP, Sam-E, St. John's Wart. Make sure you research them before taking anything to avoid contraindications, for example you can't take St. John's Wart while you're on BC. And take none if you're on SSRI's.

If you don't get enough sunlight, it might help to supplement some Vitamin D. I find it can make a HUGE difference in my mood. Make sure you look for the vitamin D3 form.

I agree that exercise is the BEST thing you can do, though! I started running and doing yoga.

Journal, so you're dealing with things and get therapy if you need it. Get enough good quality sleep. Get outside in the fresh air. Also, do things to distract yourself sometimes, like go shopping or dancing. Pamper yourself with a bubble bath, a good book and some wine, or a massage and a day at the spa. Watch TV shows or movies that make you feel happier (I love SATC reruns during my breakup lol), listening to uplifting music.

Archived