I will never kiss a smoker again....

Pegasus
Guitar rock lick #shorts
Guitar rock lick #shorts

So,

went last night to play some billiard with my friend and at the table next to ours, two girls played. Well, one thing led to another and we started playing together and it all went well, so at the end of the night, I kissed one of them (she was giving buying signals)....

But, OMG, it almost made me puke....she is a smoker and her breath was like smelling a dead guy who was decomposing on high temperature for a while. I never kissed a smoker before this and I am very sure I won't do it again. Ever.

What a turn off....

If it was that bad, chances are that she also has gingivitis.

I worked as a dental assistant when I was in college, and what you describe:

her breath was like smelling a dead guy who was decomposing on high temperature for a while.

is common in people who have gum disease. Of course, smoking doesn't help matters and contributes to problem.

wolf, if you're just worried about how it affected you, then yes, you shouldn't have 'nagged' him, but if you were worried about his health then you had every right.

I was worried about his health. He never smoked around me and he never smelled of smoke.

However, I think I made too big of a deal out of it. All eight of my great grandparents smoked and they all lived into their 90's. Heck, two of them are still alive and live in their own house with their dogs.

If it was that bad, chances are that she also has gingivitis.

I worked as a dental assistant when I was in college, and what you describe:

is common in people who have gum disease. Of course, smoking doesn't help matters and contributes to problem.

Hm....should I was my mouth with a sulfuric acid? ;-). I think it was just tobacco smell and she probably smoked 30 that day....

So,

went last night to play some billiard with my friend and at the table next to ours, two girls played. Well, one thing led to another and we started playing together and it all went well, so at the end of the night, I kissed one of them (she was giving buying signals)....

But, OMG, it almost made me puke....she is a smoker and her breath was like smelling a dead guy who was decomposing on high temperature for a while. I never kissed a smoker before this and I am very sure I won't do it again. Ever.

What a turn off....

Obviously she isnt into 'oral hygiene'.....like errrm, brushing her teeth, flossing, using minty mouthwash/sprays.

Smoking can cause a 'yellowing' of the teeth also and if her hygiene is that bad, then Im surprised you didn't notice the 'yellow/greenish' teeth before you kissed her....that would been enough to put me off kissing someone.

totally agree. a guy kissed me right after he smoked once and gave me a puff of smoke through the kiss... really gross

err, that IS pretty gross!! lol.

That's in a whole other league than just kissing a smoker.

And yeah, I'm betting she needed some attention to her teeth on top of her smoking habit.

Some smokers are actually really careful about their breath, which I know if you have never smoked sounds like an oxymoron (smoker - good oral care and time on their teeth) but it does depend on the person.

I used to carry around a toothbrush, gum, floss, lol in my purse when I smoked.

Another bonus of quitting smoking - you can relax to a normal amount of time of watching your breath and not have to brush after each smoke just to pass as somewhat clean smelling.

Smoking can cause a 'yellowing' of the teeth also and if her hygiene is that bad, then Im surprised you didn't notice the 'yellow/greenish' teeth before you kissed her....that would been enough to put me off kissing someone.

Well, you know how it is in billiard rooms...half dark

I'm a smoker, but when I've been in relationships with non-smokers I've had a general rule of at least not smoking when with them, or if that's not good enough for them then not smoking on the same day when I know I'm going to see her later. It's their choice to either have me not smelling to their taste, or being irritable.

With regards to the nagging side of things, I think complaining because it bothers you is fine, but if you are just complaining of it because of how you think it is affecting THEM then that is where I would draw the line. There are health warnings on every packet here in the UK, so it's not as if a smoker is making an uninformed choice. It's a case of balancing the benefits to your mental well-being with the risks to your physical well-being, and an adult is able to make that choice and should be free from criticism for it.

Just my view "from the other side."

With regards to the nagging side of things, I think complaining because it bothers you is fine, but if you are just complaining of it because of how you think it is affecting THEM then that is where I would draw the line. There are health warnings on every packet here in the UK, so it's not as if a smoker is making an uninformed choice.

I totally agree....if someone wants to poison themselves, I don't really care - it's their life, except when they are smoking in my presense or if I kiss them

I totally agree....if someone wants to poison themselves, I don't really care - it's their life, except when they are smoking in my presense or if I kiss them

Oh man, we are all being poisoned and each and every day of our lives.

Car exhaust fumes for instance that we breathe in and everytime we venture outdoors.....not to mention the crap that goes into what we eat....and the chemicals they spray crops with....and the toxic cesspits dotted around the UK!

None of us are 'safe',,,,,,,

wolf, if you're just worried about how it affected you, then yes, you shouldn't have 'nagged' him, but if you were worried about his health then you had every right.

I believe that there's really never a good reason to nag someone. People are what they are and it's not my job to dictate how they're going to live their life.

Furthermore, why would I waste my valuable time and energy trying to change something which I have no control over?

Archived