Chantix: Anyone taken it longterm without agitation?

Okay - so yesterday, I was happy with taking Chantix. But starting last night / this morning, I am getting agitated...

Now, I should note, my mom came to visit overnight so the kids were hyped up. But usually that doesn't bother me so much (they are completely different when Gma is here.)

I've been tired and ready for bed at 9 everyday. Last night I went to bed at 9. Woke up at 3:30 completely uncomfortable. Physical pain? Anyone have that with Chantix?

I've still been smoking as the dr said it was ideal to smoke through day 7. I have one cigarrette left. And don't plan on buying more.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to start the 1 mg pills. I explained to my dr that last time I took them, I felt withdrawn. He said to try it and try to stick it out.

My mom - she's been on the pills for 9 weeks. She started taking them after a mini stroke (more reason to quit for me too, right...) I recalled her talking of being agitated but she never blamed it on the Chantix. She thought it was everything else she's going through. Her agitation stopped about 4 weeks ago. (About 4 weeks after starting the Chantix.)

I really want to follow through with this. I know the Chantix will help. I'm afraid if I stop taking it, I won't have the willpower to quit. I'm afraid to start taking the 1mg pills though. Thoughts?

My friend used Chantix to quit, although it didn't work for him. I work at Pfizer (the place that makes the drug) and spoke to ALOT of the chemist that "came up" with this drugs or where at least part of the process. Not to be a downer but a lot of them said there is only a 10% chance using this drug alone someone can quit smoking. I think they are still trying to improve it...

Quitting is a very hard thing to do, I use to smoke. I never tried Chantix, it wasn't out when I quit. I used the patch for a few months LOL it worked though. I had a few set back but Im smoke free now. Woot! Anyway - when I was quitting I use to have terrible withdrawals and not being able to sleep was definitely one of them, I had nightmares, boy was I cranky and hyper all at the same time. It was horrible but it can be done.

How long have you been smoking? and were you a heavy smoker?

Thank you for all the info AC!

The words about Chantix - even their paperwork states it was only 44% effective. I don't have the cravings though. I just want to. I just want to smoke. lol Then when I do, it definitely isn't the same as without taking Chantix. It's pointless smoking.

Your explanation of quitting is helpful. I find myself wondering - Is it the Chantix or is it just going through the process. I think maybe if I quit cold turkey, I'd have the same effects?

I've been smoking off and on for 11 years. Quit for a year when I found out I was pregnant with each of my kids. But started again probably when they were about 6 months.

And aye! I hate to admit. I guess about a pack a day. I don't smoke in my home. Most of that was in the morning while getting ready for work (breaks on the patio) then a couple breaks a day at work, then one after work, and then after kids are in bed... My downtime. Took up an awful lot of my time as you see!

Thanks again.

(I truly don't want to be a 'smoker' anymore!)

Yeah I think if you quit cold turkey - your effects would probably be worse, I dont believe its Chantix that's giving you these side effects. Its the withdrawals from smoking that is. I had so many crazy withdrawals, I didn't think I would make it. I was in physical pain sometimes my legs would hurt, I had awful headaches, crying spells lol. Man I was a mess for awhile but in the long run these are mininal things compared to smoking and the long term effects. So hang in there! Chantix can certainly help but its not 100% - there has to be ALOT of will power on your part for this to work.! Good Luck I know its hard!

I quit cold turkey about 15 years ago and it certainly was not easy, but I'm stubborn, when I want to be and that's what got me through it. But I still get cravings and somedays it's very hard not to cave in, after all this time.

It's especially hard when it takes about 4 weeks post quitting to physically feel better - but it was worth the effort for sure.

Thank you both - very much for sharing with me. I know that Chantix can have major side affects but for now, I'm going to lean towards it being less nicotine that is affecting me! I called my doctor and got something to balance the agitation. Ridiculous that I need to go to these limits to "not" smoke. I have tried to stop cold turkey before and my whole mindset just doesn't allow it. I always give up. So I feel that I'll be more successful with Chantix than without.

I'll be coming here posting in this thread for awhile though. Other people don't seem to get it.... And I don't lean on people too often. It's nice to know that people can relate and I'm not just out of my mind with all these affects of quitting / Chantix whatever it is. lol Thanks again!

My mom quit smoking using Champix ( I'm wondering if it's the same, champix and chantix.. I'm in Canada) anyways she smoked for 30 years, never ever wanted to quit, never ever tried to quit. She just decided it was time, used Champix for 3 months, and has been smoke free for 8 months now. She did say that she had some extremely weird and very vivid dreams while she was on it though, but in the end it was all worth it. I also know 3 guys who I work with who all used it to quit, and are ALL still smoke free. I have heard very very good things about it, it really can help along with willpower. I say just stick with it!

Golden, I agree that a class would really be helpful. And sure it sounds like an excuse but I can't imagine when I could fit a class into my schedule.

Instead, all of my friends and family know that I am working on this and have been really helpful, encouraging, supportive.

Girl79 - Thank you for sharing that! Four people you know that have quit successfully.

I know that it has to do with willpower. I think I'm at the point that I don't crave the nicotine. But. . . . I still smoked a bit this weekend. This weekend was weird for me. I was somewhat emotional, scattered, forgetful, exhausted! Don't think it was completely clear to everyone else but I felt like a mess!

Today I smoked half a cig. I have one left. And. . . . I really don't think I'll buy more.

Just finished reading articles regarding "benefits of quitting smoking." Before, my mindset was "sure I know what they are... who has time for reading this, it won't make me quit." Today it's fascinating. Feels realistic like "yes - I will be seeing these benefits in the hours, weeks, years to come."

It was nice that - I just read it just because I was interested - not because I needed convincing.

I have a great friend/co-worker that smokes. We always take our breaks together. In a few minutes, we'll be going on our break. I know I won't have a problem not smoking. Yeah! But I am taking a Tootsie Pop just in case... It is true - it is weird to just sit for a car ride when our breaks have consisted of leaving and driving just to smoke for so long!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another one of those moments...... While looking for something else, I misplaced my car keys. Who does that? I know we all do sometimes but I cannot find them. So why does it feel like the end of the world?

I think that smoking was my outlet...... I don't have the balance of another parent / SO here. I don't have someone to lean on, talk to, take over while I handle a project. We have much calm and relaxing routine and structure but no matter what.... I have what feels like two million things to do all the time. I am not okay.

Soon as I find my keys, I can go to sleep..... God help me.

Day 12.

Last night was rough! Felt like the worst night of my life. I smile when I say that because there wasn't any one thing that was even worth crying over.

I took my 2nd dose around 7 pm. I only ate lunch yesterday. I think maybe I took the 2nd dose too early and I think I must eat when I take them. I am praying that my body adjusts.... and soon!

One day at a time.... or - one hour at a time maybe.

Delaying the cravings have always worked the best for me.

]

I remember seeing that post of yours Golden! At that point, I hadn't really had those thoughts.

It really is weird. Like having to remind my mind that I don't smoke. Today was a good day! Not a single cigarrette! Yeah!

Test Friday evening - taking a friend to dinner for his bday. He doesn't smoke so I think we'll just go to a non-smoking restaurant. I just don't think I'm quite ready for that yet!

Oh yeah! Wanted to mention one other thing. Since I've been working on this:

It seems like I feel like shopping... Everyday. Spend a few dollars on something/anything. Gotta get over that one asap! I do have a Holiday party to go to 12/06... Maybe if I don't shop, I can reward myself with a good dress the week before. Maybe.

Oh yeah! Wanted to mention one other thing. Since I've been working on this:

It seems like I feel like shopping... Everyday. Spend a few dollars on something/anything. Gotta get over that one asap! I do have a Holiday party to go to 12/06... Maybe if I don't shop, I can reward myself with a good dress the week before. Maybe.

What I did was add a gadget in windows vista that shows how long I've quit for, how many cigs I didn't smoke in that time, and how much money I've saved.

It's great to see everyday your progress. Now that I've quit for a month, I'm taking the extra money I have and spending it on myself. Something that symbolizes that I'm a non-smoker. For example, I'm getting my teeth whitened. Others I know are getting their cars detailed so they don't smell anymore. Or their carpets cleaned. Whatever. Anyways, if you have Vista, here is the link to the gadget. This is the one in the attached picture of my desktop.

link removed

Here's one for XP

link removed

^^ That's Great Golden!

Maybe I will have some dental work (whitening) next year. That's a good plan. I just have to not go overboard. See, I used to stop almost everyday at the gas station just to buy cigs. Now, I don't have to make that stop. It's so much more relaxing but weird not having that stop.

It's like for so long, I catered to this addiction.... leaned on it... loved it.... was so attached to it.

And now it's gone... hopefully will be long gone. I just want to erase the memories of it! lol I want to forget all together! I'm afraid if I had that on my desktop, it'd be so much of a reminder of smoking. But I will certainly keep it in mind!

Oh - another thing, the taste. Maybe it was my imagination but I swear I could taste it yesterday.... Which made it harder to remember "I'm not a smoker - I'm not a smoker!" lol

Last time I smoked - one cig - was Tuesday morning around 8:00 am. So that makes me at approximately 51 hours smokefree. Today will be my third day.

Once you get past the third day, the nicotine has completely left your body. So the physical parts of withdrawl are behind you. Now, you'll have to deal with the behavioral part. This is THE HARDEST part. Stay Strong!!!

I will try! Yikes!!!!! I thought I was already dealin with hard parts!

Question for you.... is it my imagine or a lung cleansing type of thing that I'm tasting it?

Archived