Are Push Up's harder For Tall People ?

Dayzer

Im 6feet 7inches tall and find it very hard to do push up's. Do any other tall people have this problem or am i just looking for the easy way out because i hate push up's ?

Yes,because you have longer levers you have a farther distance to go...thats why the strongest powerlifters in the world pound for pound are like 5'2.

MY GOD I love it when tall guys complain about having to do push-ups. It's all in upper body strength. They usually don't do well with pull ups because "My arms are longer".

That always earned you a 20 pound ruck sack to do push ups and pull ups. It's all 100% about upper body strength. You have what we call "pull up muscles" which are the strap muscles along the back of your ribs. Develop these and you will have no problem with push ups or pull ups.

My suggestion would be to hit the gym with some incline bench presses, hang on a bar and SLOWLY pull yourself up. Really tear that muscle down then rebuild it stronger.

I can do pullups and pushups with ease, I do a lot of crossfit and when I actually have a great deal of oxygen when doing a normal workout I can crank out 80+ with ease. I would recommend doing sets of 20 over and over, when a commercial comes on or something crank out a set. Then do it again next commercial. It will work. Then progress to 30 and 40 and so on as you increase your strength. Or you can try a crossfit workout at the gym do 5 pullups then do 10pushups then do 15squats then repeat the pattern as many sets as possible in 15min. Since you are starting out I would do 3/6/9. Sounds easy until your muscles are screaming for oxygen. If you can't do that do pushups against a wall then work down the wall each workout. Then progress to doing a pushup with your hands on a bench and feet on the ground then progress to a full pushup. Pushups are one of those excercises you won't be good at unless you practice it.

Actually, there's some basic physics behind what he's saying. Your feet can be considered a pivot point with the ground on which your body's weight rotates around. The amount of torque needed to move a person's mass increases with the persons height (or in terms of physics the distance from the end of the object to the center of rotation).

The equation is τ = F * L, where τ is torque, F is force (in this case, the persons weight) and L is length (in this case, the distance from the persons arms and feet).

Imagine having a pole, where you hold the very end out at arms length, parallel to the ground like you're trying to poke something very far away with it. It's a lot harder to hold the pole this way than it is in the center where the pole's weight rotates around. The longer the pole, the harder it is to hold that way.

Same thing for the pushups. So in theory, a tall, heavy person needs to work a lot harder than a short, lightweight person.

And people with longer arms have to work much harder as well to do a full push up. The work equation is pretty simple; W = F * D, where W is work, F is force, and D is distance. Longer arms means more distance which means more work.

To do a lot of push-ups, you have to do a lot of push-ups. This is what most people forget.

The body can only develop muscles so fast. If you consistently do push-ups for three months, then you'll notice a very significant difference.

As for tall people, the above commentators have explained things better than I can.

Archived