monster, hotjobs, etc

dtgrl812

Hey people-- has anyone had any successful experiences with any of the job sites... monster, hotjobs, career builder, etc? I have never heard anyone who has. I posted my resume on hotjobs and only seem to get responses from scam business.. i.e. places that help you get out of debt "emotionally". Do any of these sites get people legit jobs?

the job i found was on craigslist, i contacted them they sent me the application right online, filled it out 3-4 days later they told me to come in for traning. i would say just be careful and make sure they really do exisit. i got lucky on the last one.

I got my current job through careerbuilder, though it was kind of a fluke. I applied for a few things, didn't get anything much to follow up on, but then got called out of the blue by an employer, and it has nothing to do with sales or telemarketing or prostitution or anything terrible (Thank God).

Good luck!

Use the big job sites as just another resource to find jobs. Don't count on people finding your resume there and calling you. Look at the companies actually posting real jobs and make your contact that way.

Never rely solely on one source when you are looking for a job.

Hey people-- has anyone had any successful experiences with any of the job sites... monster, hotjobs, career builder, etc? I have never heard anyone who has. I posted my resume on hotjobs and only seem to get responses from scam business.. i.e. places that help you get out of debt "emotionally". Do any of these sites get people legit jobs?

Yes, I have landed several interviews, and one job through monster (the job I have right now, in fact, 4 years and still going).

Almost all the contacts from various sites have come through recruiters. I get about 2 contacts a week, legitimate jobs in engineering and engineering management. I have only once landed a job that DIDN'T come through an online job site, and that was me answering a newspaper ad back in 1997.

Use the big job sites as just another resource to find jobs. Don't count on people finding your resume there and calling you. Look at the companies actually posting real jobs and make your contact that way.

Never rely solely on one source when you are looking for a job.

100% agree with avman. Networking, recruiter relations, corporate websites, job boards affiliated with industry trade associations etc etc. There are many places to actively pursue work.

I have been 'found' twice on Monster - this was years ago, though. Now I have my resume posted on four different sites and am getting NO response! ](*,)

on monster you also have to regularly renew your resume, and ensure your resume (and profile) have all the keywords required for the job you are seeking.

i tired that simplyhired website. It may be fruitful and it seems like it may be a site for more technical jobs.... that I am not qualified for; but that could be for the city I am looking for.

I have applied for like 6 jobs.... oooo... i am hoping something comes up!!!

100% agree with avman. Networking, recruiter relations, corporate websites, job boards affiliated with industry trade associations etc etc. There are many places to actively pursue work.

Bingo to all of the above.

Job boards are not doing it like they used to. Of course use them as a resource, but don't wait to be called. Look everyday for new jobs and be very creative in the keywords you are using.

Use networking sites in addition to jobboards. Craigslist is ok for entry level jobs and smoe mid level but it still isn't he best for a job board even tho it is getting mroe popular.

LinkedIn is the best professional networking tool i have seen yet. But you have to build your network and it isn't usually instantaneous.

research local companies and find out where you would LIKE to work, and make it known by trying to network with people already there.

It completely depends on the field you work in. For example, if you were a lawyer, no job site would be of any use since lawyers are not ones to use online websites to look for candidates. They use either headhunters or directly submit resumes to contacts they have at lawfirms. A reputable law firm would not consider link removed as a way of finding talent, but other fields would. I know plenty of people who are not lawyers who have had success using link removed. Totally depends on the field, just like how a medical doctor wouldn't get a job using monster.

Archived