Open Club  ·  21 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Caribbean with Kids

avman

Hi all,

My wife and I are considering taking a Caribbean vacation next year with our 3 kids (ages 8, 10, 13). We've never been there so we are in the middle of a lot of searching to find a good place to go.

My two youngest and myself would be interested in a lot of diving, marine life, and watersports.

My wife loves to shop.

My oldest son hasn't quite figured out what he likes the best yet!

Given the age of the kids, we don't much care if the island has a hopping nightlife. We wouldn't get a chance to experience it much (or at all). And if it's a party island I don't think the kids would enjoy it.

Islands that are extremely quiet and remote will probably drive my wife and older son insane. They need some activities and a bit of civilization to be happy. On the other hand we're not interested in a place that is completely packed with tourists either.

Has anybody been to the Caribbean with their kids? Any suggestions?

Not sure if they have resorts out on those islands, but if they do, maybe that could be the way to go, since then everybody could find their niche.

Sorry if my advice is not that useful since I've never been to the Caribbean, but resorts were what I thought of, as places where there was a variety of activities in one centralized area.

This isn't exactly the carribbean, but Cozumel, Mexico, is beautiful and has a lot of great shopping, restaurants, and water stuff. I went there on a cruise, and they had plenty to do whiel we were there--swim with dolphins, snorkeling, etc. I recommend it.

This isn't exactly the carribbean, but Cozumel, Mexico, is beautiful and has a lot of great shopping, restaurants, and water stuff. I went there on a cruise, and they had plenty to do whiel we were there--swim with dolphins, snorkeling, etc. I recommend it.

We visited Cancun years ago before we had kids. It was fun and we enjoyed it but I think we want to do something different this time.

ive been all over the caribbean and there is not one place that stands out over the others. they will all have watersports, almost all of them are going to offer beginner diving sessions, have shopping, restaurants, and all that good stuff. everyone will have different answers depending on how they stayed on the island and where.

ive probably been to 20+ islands in the caribbean, and all of central america, but 1/2 were via cruise ships where you arent able to get a real good feel of the whole island.

off of the top of my head... go to aruba or grand cayman

fyi- ive never traveled with a kid, but my co worker traveled to aruba and bahamas with a kid and the kid had a blast.

I don't have kids yet but a few years ago a big family group wen to the Caribbean, and there were several kids in the party. We stayed at an all-inclusive place in Jamaica.

There are lots of family-friendly all inclusives throughout the Caribbean. It was great for our group, which included several grade school kids and several pre-teens.

There were tons of things to do for all ages- volleyball, snorkeling, tennis,a waterpark, a video arcade, 3 pools, 6 restaurants (several of which had extensive kid-friendly menus), of course a gorgeous beach.

There was also a Kid's Club that had daily activities, certified nannies if you needed a baby-sitter, etc.

We got a good rate because we went in the summer. I think for my cousin, her husband, and their 8 & 12 yr old, it was about $2000 (not including airfare). We had a blast!

Yeah Mexico would be out.

We're fairly open to where specifically in the Caribbean we go. With the kids it has to be something we can fly to without island hopping several times. One stop is ok. More than that is asking for trouble. My wife wasn't terribly interested in a cruise.

We would try to avoid the mega tourist traps like Jamaica and US Virgin Islands. The Bahamas is a maybe.

Some islands I've been looking at that caught my eye were:

St. Lucia

Curacao

Saint-Martin

Saint Martin is beautiful.

It looks like it from the photos I have seen. It's definitely made our short list. St. Lucia also looks stunning in photos. But these travel sites can make almost anything look good in photos.

What about Atlantis in the Bahamas?

I haven't been there in years but from what I remember it wasn't overly crowded. I remember loving it.

link removed

It's a bit pricey but even just for a night or two--it's amazing.

Here's stuff on Kids

link removed

image removed

What about Atlantis in the Bahamas?

I haven't been there in years but from what I remember it wasn't overly crowded. I remember loving it.

link removed

It's a bit pricey but even just for a night or two--it's amazing.

It is pretty expensive.

Yeah, but with kids you are not looking for a wild swingin time though.

I've heard the Bahamas is a little boring--my best friend went there on her honeymoon and she said it was just shop after shop of the same souveniers and there were too many tourists.

I had a blast. We went snorkeling, swam with the dolphins...

My mom is taking her foster daughter to Cuba in 2 weeks I will let you know how that is.

Well I'm from the U.S. So Cuba is out for us. I won't get into politics but we're not allowed to go there.

The beaches arent that great, there isnt much to do and it is more on the expensive side. Also, it matters on the time of year, it can get kind of chilly. It is a good place to go for 3 days, but not for a family vacation.

Ok, that's very good information to have. Thank you!

It's kind of strange that I just took a break from writing a term paper on the negative effects of tourism in the Caribbean, only to come on here and find someone talking about taking a vacation to that general area.

Strange coincidence isn't it?

Archived