Trying to understand meditation

Blockhead1013
Guided Meditation | Meditation to F...
Guided Meditation | Meditation to Focus on Yourself

I am having an extremely hard time escaping my thoughts, I have been looking at a lot of different guides and things on meditation but I can't really find a way to truly meditate. I have gotten away from distractions, relaxed completely, and tried to let my thoughts pass me by. It seems like no matter what, I can't stop thinking. Does anybody have any advice, or anything special that they did that helped them to meditate? Thanks in advance!

Ive meditated before i knew it was meditation. For me i needed a focal point to concentrate on, id focus intensely on that one object, which was in sight, and the rest of the world would go away until the only thing that existed was that one object, then i realized that i could also blank out the focal point until i reached a state of complete openness. Ive read buddhist monks first learn breathing meditation, what you do is, sit yourself down and really control your breathing, inhale, exhale very controlled. So they do the focal point thing too, just using breathing rather than an corporeal object, both take practice.

Meditation is not for everyone. I was at a conference with a room full of scientists and we had to do this meditation exercise...lots of skeptics who felt ridiculous and couldn't really relax enough to get into it. Everyone has their own way of tuning out the world and purging the mind. Meditation may work for some...for others just listening to music and zoning out might work perfectly.

Meditation is not for everyone. I was at a conference with a room full of scientists and we had to do this meditation exercise...lots of skeptics who felt ridiculous and couldn't really relax enough to get into it. Everyone has their own way of tuning out the world and purging the mind. Meditation may work for some...for others just listening to music and zoning out might work perfectly.

The only problem with that is I kind of feel like I am unable to relax enough to do this. My mind just goes crazy for some reason, like I'm afraid to turn it off for a minute so I become even more irritable. I've done my fair share of zoning out and listening to music, both extremely high and sober, but neither really purges my mind, it just gives me a different or more relaxed perspective when I do think about things. I want to be able to clear my mind, I just don't know how to become calm or relaxed enough.

Here's an example, I'll start by relaxing myself bit by bit. Then once I just need to relax my mind, the only thought I can think about is the fact that I HAVE to clear my mind. That in turn makes me think about why I'm clearing my mind, and then I just go from there and think about things I shouldn't be thinking about. It's like my mind is completely separate from me, and it doesn't want to cooperate.

I am having an extremely hard time escaping my thoughts, I have been looking at a lot of different guides and things on meditation but I can't really find a way to truly meditate. I have gotten away from distractions, relaxed completely, and tried to let my thoughts pass me by. It seems like no matter what, I can't stop thinking. Does anybody have any advice, or anything special that they did that helped them to meditate? Thanks in advance!

Unless you are aiming at No Mind meditation, the aim isn't to stop thinking.

The aim is to take the focus away from your thoughts and onto something else. A good beginning practise is to regulate your breathing (i.e breathe in for four beats and then out for four beats) and keep your focus on your breathing, the way it feels coming in your nose ect. When your thoughts come away from your breathe, just refocus on it.

To meditate is to focus, to be aware,. Not zoned out.

Well my overarching goal for this is to be able to relax myself when I need to, and be able to keep myself from overthinking about things all the time. I'm pretty sure meditation is one of the best cures to this, but perhaps I am wrong?

If you learn to regulate your breathing, you will be able to relax as and when you need to. It has a full body and mind effect.

I am a Zen Buddhist and I try to meditate as much as I can. I found that the best way to start is through breathing exercises. Place yourself in the lotus position (or half-lotus if it is more comfortable). Place your hands in an oval (egg-like) shape, with the tips of your thumbs touching. Let the fingers from one hand rest on the fingers of your other hand. Lower your eyelids, but do not fully close your eyes. Make sure to keep your back straight. With your eyes (eyelids mostly closed), concentrate on a point a little bit in front of you on the ground. Then once you have that down, it is time to concentrate on your breathing. On your first inhale count in your mind, 1. As you exhale, count (in your mind), 2. Do this over and over again until you get to 10. When you hit 10. Your next exhale will be counted as 9. Every inhale should be about 2 times the length of every exhale. This counting of numbers is something that trains us to focus on the breathing rather than allowing our mind to stray. Eventulally once you have done this for long enough, you will be able to focus on your breathing without counting. The most important thing when learning the proper way to meditate is to be patient. Sometimes it can be frustrating but you just have to stick with it. I hope this helps a bit.

Archived