finding a job/internship in college

tom1607307597
5 Tips For Entering The Job Market ...
5 Tips For Entering The Job Market After University

Hi everyone. I am just confused how I'm supposed to find a job while at school. It just seems really hard for me, mainly because of the following:

1. really low gpa, currently on academic probation right now

2. no job experience whatsoever

3. don't qualify for a government workstudy

4. maybe 1 outside reference, that's it

5. no leadership experience since entering college, very little in high school

I don't want to include my gpa on my resume because saying I have a 1.92 would look really bad. It seems you need job experience to get a job and vice versa. A lot of on-campus work studies are only for people who qualify for a government work study. To get outside references I would need to do lab work for a professor or actually have a previous job, which is unlikely to happen because of my low gpa. Finally there seems no chance of me becoming the leader of a club or doing anything leader ship related anytime soon. What do I do??

It seems like an endless cycle of requirements to get a job. Lately it seems even something as simple as greeting people at a door requires 2,3 letters of reference or a being eligible for a workstudy.

I remember that, when I first was trying to get a job. No one will hire you if you don't have experience, okay RARELY, but how do you get experience if no one will give you a chance? I just kept going at it, then finally I got hired, then from there got my new job because I had some experience! It is also about personality!

Can you work for your school's dining services? there's a fairly high turnover rate working for food services, I'm sure you can find something there. My best friend had never really had a job before and he got a job at Subway.

In the meantime, study hard and get those grades up!

Best of luck

GPA doesn't matter with jobs like fast food- they rarely ask, restaurants rarely ask (I've applied to enough), meanwhile try to get your grades up.You can use friends as references for jobs like that. You don't need leadership experience (unless its managment- maybe?). Job experience would help, but just put yourself out there. I applied at subway last spring and love their food and they never hired me,but so goes ( I don't have much job experience either, though I have had two part time jobs (not government workstudy) but got canned from one.. and a better GPA, but not many references either).I do government workstudy, but it pays my tuition, not a cent to me. So thats no good, although it is useful to be able to say I have that job experience etc. Just fill out applications for places like fast food, convenience stores, retail etc. They don't care that much about your GPA or lack of job experience if you are a college student. Just present yourself in the best light you can- esp if you get a interview, really try. Don't have have the attitude it is hopeless.I'm another jobless college student- but I have tried to get one- omitting the job from which I got fired on applications.

Can you work for your school's dining services? there's a fairly high turnover rate working for food services, I'm sure you can find something there. My best friend had never really had a job before and he got a job at Subway.

In the meantime, study hard and get those grades up!

Best of luck

Well I did awhile back, but looks like I'd have to apply again to have any chance at a job. It seems like they have most of their positions were taken up 2 or 3 months into the school year. You never know till you try though.

Subway hires anyone! Ever notice, majority is.. I'll be quiet now.

That they're college students.... yeah that's kinda true. One time I did run into a guy who used to be a bouncer but that's another story.

The OP came out a little wrong when I was writing it, right now I feel I'm under a lot of pressure to at find a part-time job. All I'm living on right now are student loans, and I'm hoping to earn some income of my own to offset that.

Archived