Panic Attacks - A Short Guide to Overcoming them

mca1975

I was just thinking a little bit today about the times when I used to suffer with my panic attacks and how awfully frightening it was. I felt like I was either dying or going mad and would end up in a strait-jacket by morning. This was about 6 years ago now.

Anyhow, I was just having a think about it today and focused on what it actually was that helped me overcome them. At the time, I was bed-ridden for weeks and everyone was quite concerned. I was off work for six weeks when I first started having them. I was prescribed drugs too to help the effects. I felt very depressed. The fact of the matter is, is that it was just pure "knowledge" and "a little research" that helped me overcome them. On my return to work, which was a very hard time, I bought a book on Panic Attacks. I cannot remember the exact name of the book as it was so long ago, but the authors Christine Ingham and Shirley Trickett really ring a bell with me.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with everyone and anyone who is now suffering that reading and understanding the whole panic attack thing takes away a lot of the fear, the fear of going mad. If you understand it and know what it is, you can get through them with some ease until they disappear altogether.

Over time, you will learn to talk to yourself while you are having them and indeed even make them pass quicker. I still do it to this day... If I feel one coming on, which is very rare nowadays, it passes almost as quickly as it came, as I say to myself "stay calm, do not panic, you know what this is, it's a panic attack and it will pass and you will feel right as rain again". It really works!

Just wanted to share that with everyone, hope it helps someone!

I think I know what book you're talking about and I'm glad it helped you. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for everyone. I tried so many different methods over the years because I desperately wanted to avoid going to a doctor, but finally had to break down and go this year...

Archived