Development Delayment and Age Gaps

Night Pumpkin
Romance Anime with Age Gap Cliche
Romance Anime with Age Gap Cliche

There is something that I find interesting to think about:

There are still many people who don't consider it "normal" for a man to date a woman older than him, especially if it is more than just a few years of age gap..

But the reason given for a man dating a younger woman is that men, supposedly, mature slower than women, so an older man would (theoretically) be on the same maturity level as a younger woman.

But if a man dates an older woman, and they are on the same maturity level, then his development has been accelerated rather than delayed.

So in theory, many people think it is more normal for a man to have slower and delayed maturity / development (man dating younger woman) than for him to have accelerated maturity / development (man dating older woman).

So accelerated maturity is frowned upon more, and delayed development is considered more normal.

Any thoughts on this ?????

But do you get my point.....

It's like someone who is smart who skips two grades is looked down upon because he is young but in a higher grade, while a person who has a developmental disorder and who fails grade 4 twice is considered to be more "normal" because he is now older but still in grade 4.

Most females I think go for a guy older than them, as opposed to younger. Men go for anyone who looks "hot" LOL.

Ya, I think I am going to have to agree with you on that one. More than being a matter of maturity, I think it is simply behavioral adaptation to society. We see more guys with younger girls so naturally we think it is more acceptable, whereas we don't see many older girls with younger guys. We have become so accustomed to seeing this that many of us simply don't think about the reasons behind it.

I don't think that the men-mature-more-slowly theory is ever applied to adults. It's geared more to late teens/early twenties.

I agree with the poster who pointed out that it's probably based on the fact that men can reproduce more or less indefinitely, whereas a woman cannot. So a younger guy with an older woman (depending on how much older) may lose the chance to have a biological family, so thereforee we don't see it happening as much, and we're not used to seeing it.

Archived