*Urgent question regarding cover letters*

Double J

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, I got laid off this week. So now I'm searching for a good job and I know it's going to take a while given the state of the economy.

I've already sent out 3 applications, and tonight I noticed I wrote something in my cover letter that might be misinterpreted. I said that my experience "spans a range of challenging roles and industries." I included this to show that I'm well-rounded, have developed the ability to work under pressure, attention to detail, etc.

But then it hit me--maybe they'll read this and think I sound like a job hopper? Obviously that wasn't the intention, and maybe what I wrote sounds fine, but I need a second opinion.

What do you guys think?

Note: I'm relatively entry level (less than 3 years experience)

Instead of "spans a range of challenging roles and industries." try "spans a range of challenging roles within the *whatever your applying for* industry. This will show that you have taken on several different roles within the industry you are applying to work for. Anytime you can have a person who can do multiple jobs well is a plus.

This is just an opinion. I have never filled out a resume in my life so others here will be vastly more qualified.

I have found that cover letters are just something that quickly grabs the attention of the employer before hitting upon the resume. I've never been interviewed where my cover letter was reviewed or put into question. There is more of an interest and analyzation of the resume. So, as long as your resume doesn't reflect a lot of job hopping you should be okay....

Trooper gave you a great way to fix it though for future reference.

depends on employer, but for me its fine. (you can have it paraphrased though, if you're still bothered, ask help from a pro). anyway, they can see from the work experience portion of your CV the lenght of your stay in the companies/industries you've worked for. hopefully, from there it can be gleaned that you're not a job hopper. it just so happened that you're open to vast opportunities and you're still finding your niche. good luck, especially when you reach the interview! ^__^

Archived