Make-up. What's your view?

Karibo

I wear quite alot of make-up but try to make it look tasteful. There are several reasons why I wear it: To feel good about myself by taking pride in my appearance, because it's like a mask to protect me, to feel more feminine, to feel more confident.

However I recently saw a program about how beauty shown in the media is very fake and shown as very specific looks. So I did an experiment and wore no make-up for a week in public just to see how I felt about myself. Here's some of my findings:

I felt a little "scruffy". I also felt more natural and beautiful in that sense (but less sexy), I worried it meant I was making less effort thereforee I was "lazy" and would make me lower in confidence. I also felt more tomboyish and this didn't make me feel sexy.

SO I'm kinda stuck half way in between at this time. I feel like I wear too much because other's might not be able to see the real me so to speak, but then again I feel most sexy and confident (at this time) when I wear it. I could try to reduce it, but then I might feel like i'm not making as much effort and it will make me feel bad (but I might get used to wearing less in time).

What are your views on make-up? Do you wear lots or none at all? Do you think women look better with it or without, or in between (little make-up)? I'm just curious.....

Thanks

I feel naked if I wear none but feel comfortable wearing none in front of my boyfriend. Except when I was a teenager experimenting with all sorts of makeup I have always felt like less is more. I always wear some eyeliner (lower lid only), a little mascara, lipstick and a little neutral foundation but not all over my face. Sometimes I add a touch of bronzer. If I am going to a fancy event where I am wearing black or red(I have fair skin), I'll wear a little more makeup so I don't look washed out, especially in photos.

I've had people put more makeup on me -- when I was a bridesmaid for instance - and I didn't feel comfortable like that at all.

I wear a little makeup some eyeliner and lipglass..thats about it..most of the time I dont even wear that..I still buy makeup just cause I think its fun, makeup for me is art when I see ladies wear crazy colors Im always like ooooo that looks nice....and wonder how they do it.

My girlfriend always used to wear eyeliner and masacara and the face stuff. Pretty much every single day. And I got used to it....it became her natural look. She looked good. But sometimes.....(it got more often as we grew together) she would remain make up free if we were staying in and she looked good then too. She looked good whatever she did. I had no preference. I loved her and her confidence and if make up made her feel a little more confident then I was okay with that. It was a good feeling when we woke up together the first time and she didn't immediately jump up and put some make up on though. It meant she was comfortable with me and that meant everything. But she liked to "make the effort" to wear some...to "look pretty for me".....I appreciated that effort although she looked good whatever she wore.

my view:

i like make up. like u said: it's makes you look like u put effort into your appearance and want to look nice. it also makes u feel pretty, confident, feminine, etc when done right.

i like the minimal/classy look and smokey eyes.

i have to add, that if people do their make up they need to pay attention to their hair too. messy or untidy hair looks even scruffier.

as soon as i get home i take it off.

make up to me is an enhancer and it is most usefull for covering impefections.

oh and sometimes it can do wonders. (have u seen some celebs without any? omg!)

some women even call it "their best friend" haha. i kinda agree since i never leave the house without any on. unless i have NO zits.

i'd never go to work without it. (unless i had NO zits i could but lately i get an occasional whitehead or red pimple which i feel i need to cover). i try to use as little as possible too.

I think if wearing makeup sometimes makes you feel beautiful, then it's not that serious, I mean, it's only makeup, not plastic surgery.

But if you HAVE to wear LOTS OF makeup, ALL THE TIME, then probably you should try to reduce that, so you can learn to feel truly beautiful in your own skin. It's also bad for your skin to wear it all the time, and it can also rub off on your SO when making out

Then again, some women wear more makeup than others because they have severe skin problems, etc. I think that is way understandable and I'd never criticize that.

So I guess it depends on how it makes you feel. If you feel good in it, and yet you don't NEED it to feel pretty, then paint away! Otherwise, it's good to experiment with going bare-faced once in a while.

Personally, I only wear it to go out at night, or when my job requires it, and my boyfriend? He ALWAYS prefers me without it.

I say do whatever makes you comfortable. I wear makeup; not a lot, but I am very fair skinned so I have to at least put on mascara and blush to look healthy. I'm not too crazy about heavy eye makeup - I think it looks a little tacky. I usually go for neutral toned shades when I'm wearing eye shadow. I'm not a big fan of the MAC look with their bright colors. I think it doesn't matter how much makeup you wear as long as it is tasteful, classic and neutral.

I wear make up because without it I want to break a mirror. It frustrates me that my face isn't flawless ANYMORE, so if I don't wear make up then I'll just get all depressed. At least it covers it somewhat.

I saw this lady who works upstairs, she had TOO much make up on. Been wearing it lately. Her face is flawless, she looks 100x better without make up. With it you can tell she has it on, she looks older and tired. It looks BAD. But without it she looks like a porcelain doll.

I wear make up because without it I want to break a mirror. It frustrates me that my face isn't flawless ANYMORE, so if I don't wear make up then I'll just get all depressed. At least it covers it somewhat.

I saw this lady who works upstairs, she had TOO much make up on. Been wearing it lately. Her face is flawless, she looks 100x better without make up. With it you can tell she has it on, she looks older and tired. It looks BAD. But without it she looks like a porcelain doll.

i don't know her but i already hate her lol

Daily, I wear none. Never been into makeup. I will sometimes say for a wedding or a special occasion, but thats about it.

My boyfriend's comment in the first year of our relationship pretty much sums it up

Him: You look good with makeup on

Me: Really? And when did you see me with makeup?

Him: That one time, to the bar you had lipgloss on.

Yup, thats about it.

I don't personally feel the need for it. Some days I wake up and want to do a little extra because I'm in the mood, but I enjoy myself natural. And when I do make the effort, its nice because it does get noticed and makes me feel even that much better on that day.

I have friends who literally paint their face on. One friend in particular is a completely different person with her makeup off. In fact if she spent the night at her boyfriend's or vice versa, she would sneak into the bathroom before he was awake and do her make-up.

Never ware it, not even when I'm dressing up. I feel like a clown even when people who know how to put it one put it on me. I like the way my face looks. I also get sacred that people get addicted to the way they look with it on and start feeling like they don't look good with out it. People with make up on don't look better to me... they just look like they have make up on.

I put on eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara and blush. I absolutely hate lipstick. I don't wear foundation which I guess I am supposed to if I am putting on blush. I can't be bothered with it. I do not touch up my makeup during the day so it tends to fade by the afternoon. My makeup is more subtle. Perhaps you should just tone down your makeup a bit rather than not put it on. If it makes you feel good to put it on then put it on...nothing wrong with it.

i usually dont wear any at all, just lip gloss. i like the natural look, i like looking effortlessly pretty. haha so instead of make up, i focus on skin care and if i didnt get a good sleep, i'll put on some bronzer and blush.

i dont like it when girls cake their face because it's really apparent and it makes you seem very insecure. more importantly, it looks really obvious and well, not attractive.

I prefer women to wear as little makeup as possible, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority. Being attractive without makeup to me exudes confidence.

I think you would actually be surprised at the number of guys who hate the "fake" make up look.

My fiance despises me wearing any sort of makeup and will actually request that I remove it before we go out. It makes me feel good because it shows he thinks i'm beautiful without makeup.

I hate seeing beautiful females that look like clowns because their makeup is so thick you can literally see it caked up on the side of their face or their neck is 4 shades lighter than their face. I mean c'mon!

My fiance despises me wearing any sort of makeup and will actually request that I remove it before we go out. It makes me feel good because it shows he thinks i'm beautiful without makeup.

I have a rather conflicted reaction to this: on one hand, I love it when a guy appreciates a woman without makeup (because I hardly ever wear any). But on the other hand, if I just wanted to put a little on to spice myself up, I'd feel a little slighted if he thought I was marring my face with it.

I have an interesting relationship with makeup...as a woman who kind of has a tomboy streak but uses that to cover a girlie girl core.

I leave the house on a regular basis without it -- partly because I don't really make the time for it, and partly because when I see my face in makeup, even just a slight bit...I always FEEL "made up". I love feeling casual, and I think other than covering a blemish or two if I get them, I actually feel more naturally like myself without having to put anything on my face. Once in a while I put on a little shimmery lip color and like the effect, and on a dressy evening or occasion, yes, I do put on my eyes and regular lipstick. In fact, one reason I enjoy NOT wearing makeup during the day or regularly is because I like to see the transformation when I put on the look of the entire face (even though it's still a minimal look compared to some.) I use tones that blend very easily with my eye and hair colors.

For some reason I felt corroborated by my last ex in this, because being a big city kind of guy who was very used to women with makeup, and the rather sophisticated look (which is not me), one night I started to put on makeup for us to go out, and he got very excited to see me like that. And I sort of got excited to see him excited about it, as this was the first time he'd seen me really put on any for real. And when he looked at me with the eyeliner and everything else, he said, looking admiringly then pensively at me, "Yeah...that's really nice...but for some reason now I feel it's hiding you. For some reason I feel it gets in the way -- for you. Not for other women, but for YOU. I could almost do without it. I don't think your face needs it."

For some reason, this felt like the best compliment I could have ever gotten, as it was the best of all worlds. And it stuck with me.

When it comes to vanity, as another poster said, I'm far more interested in the preserving the youthfulness of my skin's natural look. So that's where any discretionary money tends to go, in the beauty department.

Archived