my grandma passed away...

sadenni

and I have never dealt with the death of a close family member before in my life. She came to the United States to help raise my siblings and me when our father walked out on us. She went back almost two years ago to be with the rest of our family (and live in better climate than the cold Chicago weather that bothered her arthritis). She was the only grandparent I have ever had.

I got the news on Saturday and my heart is aching. I have had occasional nightmares about her dying for months and now hearing it come true is just painful. I was hoping to wake up when I heard the news....

Her health wasn't always the best...I know her body was tired but I didn't expect her to go this soon. She was 78, so she has lived a pretty full life I guess. The funeral (which is also the week of Thanksgiving) is overseas so I cannot go. I'd be out of class for three weeks b/c that's how long my Mom and uncle plan to stay. I know she would want me to finish the semester, but I don't feel right being here. I hear my family at home is taking the news well, but I can't begin to imagine what my mom felt when she heard it. My grandma had been admitted to the hospital earlier in the week but my mom was told that she was doing better. She and my grandma were like best friends and I know it broke her heart. When I got the call, I could tell that my mom had been crying...and I have never heard her cry before.

I just want to hold my grandma and tell her how much I love and miss her. Her smile, her hugs, her cooking, watching Price is Right in the morning when I had a day off from school the little things. Even when we bumped heads, I never had any bad feelings toward her.

I was hoping to go see my family overseas this Christmas, but I can't afford it. I daydreamed about how great it would be going back...her getting to see her grandbaby now turning into a woman, and being able to spend time together at her home, surrounded by all our family. No matter when I go back, she will be gone.

I'm trying to stay occupied with my work and distract myself from the pain...but every time I think about that call I got on Saturday, it hurts even more.

But it's not about me...there is a reason for everything, and I know that she is free of all the pain and stress she ever had.

I have a picture of her that we took at an awards banquet when I was back in highschool....found a couple of scarves and a tiny Bible that she gave me when I was a kid. Even though I'm not that religious, I carry it with me everywhere just because she gave it to me.

I miss you Grandma...rest in perfect peace until we meet again.

I am very sorry for your loss. I miss my grandma's, their smell, their wisdom, thier way of life. When they passed away I felt like they took a lot with them that could never be replaced. It's been 8 years now since one of my grandma's has passed away and I still miss her a lot. Please let me share your pain and may your memories give you comfort.

warm hugs,

-Tabbi

thanks everyone for your kind words....

i just hope it will get easier.

It will hun. When I was 13 my grandma died in my arms, I still miss her but I remember the good times now. I know you are hurting so bad right now but believe me she is with you and comforting you. HUG

I'm so sorry to hear you've lost your grandma. Some grandparents are so precious to us. They care about us like no one else can. It's a different sort of nurturing than a mother or father can give. So I understand how your heart must be breaking. She will always be alive in your memories, though.

My grandparents died when I was young and I was very close to them. Sometimes when I really miss them or I'm going through a hard time, I look at a picture of them and try to listen to what they might say to me. It really helps a lot.

[hugs]

So sorry about your grandma and that you can't be with your family at this time...

I lost my grandma in January and it was very painful. I still think about her every day. Grandparents are precious... Carrying mementos around is a good way to deal with the loss... I still wear my Grandma's hat all the time and it makes me happy.

Reflection Of Life
Reflection Of Life

Archived