Sticky situation with covering letter. HELP!

I've kind of been put into a sticky corner regarding my covering letter for a job on offer. It was advertised through an alumni network by a former student who did the same course I've just completed. I e-mailed asking a few questions which he answered and offered to pass on my covering letter and CV if I send them to him. He isn't part of HR, but it's a small company so I am sure he can pass it on to the right person. I sent him another e-mail asking who I should address my cover letter to. His reply was that I should address it as "Dear sir or madam"

I don't know if I'm overreacting about this but I don't know what to do. I've been told that it is a bad idea to not at least try and find out who the letter should be addressed to. "Dear sir or madam" letters come accross a impersonal and I've been told letters get thrown away off the bat if they start like that.

On the one hand I can send it to him addressed as he has said and he passes the letter on, or try find out who is responsible for hiring without his knowledge and have no chance of sending the letter through him. I'm not comfortable with the idea of going behind his back but I don't know what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ask him directly if he can give you a name of the person to make the cover letter out to. second option is call up the company directly. and ask for the HR department and the person responsible for that particular position.

i would suggest asking your friend directly for a name and i agree do not put just "dear sir/madam". if he/she says he does not have one, then i would go ahead and call up the company.

i have called companies directly plenty of times and if you just ask professionally and nicely, they are more than willing to comply. hope this helps.

Hi perfection, thanks for the reply. The thing is I did ask him who I could address the letter to and he said to address it as 'Dear sir or madam', which is why I'm stuck on what to do

oh sorry. i didn't read that part. to make your cover letter stand out, i'd suggest making the extra effort in finding a name. that way when you get a chance to talk to someone, you can also mention that you are in the process of applying for this position and how you are very much interested in it and you look forward to a response on your application.

Just call and ask whoever answers the phone who you should address a letter to. You don't have to say who you are or anything. I've done this before, and then give it to him to pass on. Technically, you are not going behind his back.

Hi guys, thank you for the replies. Ok I will definitely call and ask for a name, but should I then definitely send him the letter? It seems redundant after finding out who the letter should be sent to, but I know being referred by someone within the company gives you much better chances. I could tell him I searched before reading his last e-mail (I didn't reply to it) but I'd hate to lie.

Hi guys, thank you for the replies. Ok I will definitely call and ask for a name, but should I then definitely send him the letter? It seems redundant after finding out who the letter should be sent to, but I know being referred by someone within the company gives you much better chances. I could tell him I searched before reading his last e-mail (I didn't reply to it) but I'd hate to lie.

i suggest you still send it THROUGH your friend.

Archived