Girlfriend having a tough time...

stratguy620

I guess this one is a 2-parter, as I need some advice, as does my gf. Long story short, we've been in a long distance relationship for about 2 years. I live in Houston, she lived in Dallas (thats about a 4-5 hour drive for non-Texans). We managed to make the best of the distance, and she moved to Austin to go to school this semester. She loves her school, and shes dreamt of going there forever.

The problem is, she goes to a rather small school, and she knows basically nobody. She's been really depressed lately, since she can't seem to meet anybody, and she feels very lonely. Obviously, I feel bad for her, and I want to help her, but it's kinda hard for me. The thing is, she wants to meet people and make friends, and I want her to do the same. But she spends almost all of her time sitting in her room checking her facebook and watching tv. I've tried explaining, very nicely, that in order to meet people you have to get out and do things, but she usually just gets upset or hostile with me.

I feel so bad for her, and I want her to be happy, but she has a hard time understanding that you have to go out and take chances to meet new people. Ive tried suggesting that maybe she join a club on campus, or maybe ask someone in one of her classes to study or something, but she just kinda blows me off and gets mad whenever I respond to her complaints. I don't know what else to say to her, so does anyone have any advice I could give her to make her feel better, or any other suggestions for meeting people? Also, like I said, her being depressed is, understandably, taking a toll on me. I'm doing my best to be supportive, understanding, and accommodating, but it's still hard for me to be pushed away and treated the way she is acting towards me right now. What should someone in my shoes do, when their partner is depressed like this?

kudos to you. it sounds like you are giving her great advice and being supportive -- and you obviously care about her.

but you're right -- she needs to take the chance and do things outside of her normal routine if she wants to meet new people and make friends.

does she have a roomate that she could go out with?

You know, I can completely sympathize with you because i am going through the same exact thing personally. Sometimes, after you have said everything you could think of to comfort her nicely there really isn't too much more you could say. Maybe she can find one person and try to network through them?? For some people just "jumping" out there and meeting new people is like standing at the bottom of a huge mountain you have to climb with no gear. I'm sorry that you are getting pushed away that can be tough. Perhaps you can just tell her look, I care about you, and im concerned for your well being. I hate to see you depressed and i know it can be hard trying to branch out, but im trying to be there and help you yet it seems like every time i do things seem hostile, so what do you want from me? what can i say to make you feel better?

Archived