Title IX and Football - HORRIBLE COMBO

Carmine

This is more of a vent than anything else, and maybe it can be used to bring awareness to a relatively minor issue.

For those of you who don't know what Title IX is, it's a law in the US that forces schools to have equal spending between men's women's sport. It's good and righteous in theory, but it causes more trouble than it's worth.

Two years ago, my sport (men's heavyweight crew) along with men's lightweight crew, men's tennis, men's swimming and diving, and men's fencing were cut. We receive absolutely no funds from the school. Why did they do this? Well, for the last 10 years or so (particularly the last 3 years), the school has been increasing its football budget more and more. It wants to be a football powerhouse, and it's using its small supply of money to do that. I can go really into why this is so wrong, but that's not what this post is about. Just think that a major state university doesn't support those men's sports.

So because they're putting so much money into football, a men's sport, they have to balance out spending according to title ix. So what did they do? Cut 5 men's sports, some of which have been around for hundreds of years, long before football came to be.

This really took a hit on our program. We work just as hard as every other athlete at this school, and we get absolutely nothing for our efforts except for what we make out of it. We feel a bit of resentment towards women's crew as well. They're still a funded varsity sport and many of them get scholarships and tons of perks. Last week the athletic department rewarded them with a brand new boat because some woman came to see them practice and was amazed at how hard they work. The same people from the athletic department refused to communicate with me when I requested to register early for classes (a privilege varsity athletes get). Because of that, I wasn't able to register for a course I needed, which is now screwing up the rest of my schedule.

I'm all for encouraging girls to do sports, but this is really getting ridiculous, especially when no one respects or recognizes you for the work you do...getting up at 5-6 am to strain your body with every stroke on the extremely cold river. I'm really getting tired of hearing about other sports, especially women's sports and football, and football is practically an obsession here, even though the team is mediocre at best.

I'm just as sick as football as I am with women's sports. Why should our female crew counterparts get so much school support when all we get is an administration trying to dismantle our program?

The emphasis on football is ridiculous, but so is Title IX.

As much as you hate to hear it, investing in a football program is more beneficial to the university as a whole. It gets alums involved, gets FREE PUBLICITY in the media, attracts more students and bett and ultimately football makes money. and if you're at the college i think you are at, the head coach has signed the best class of football players in the university's history

I understand you are annoyed, i would be too if my sport was cut..but life isnt fair. At some point in time you have to get over all the problems you encounter. Can I see one post where you say something positive? Every post i have seen, that you have made, has some sort of negativity attatched to it. And more times then not, it is nothing more than whining; it sure would be nice if you could contribute rather then piss and moan about every wrongdoing that has ever happened to you

why do you think that mens' sports are so much more important than womens' sports? don't these women have as much right to play and compete as you do? i'm sorry that your program is suffering, but that can be better addressed by not putting the blame on others - what about the school finding ways to get more money for you guys?

why do you think that mens' sports are so much more important than womens' sports? don't these women have as much right to play and compete as you do? i'm sorry that your program is suffering, but that can be better addressed by not putting the blame on others - what about the school finding ways to get more money for you guys?

I think he means why should the female counter parts have the sport he loves and others while the males cannot.

It should be equal i think.

it should be equal. but that's not the fault of women's sports - that's the fault of the athletic program.

football brings in a lot of money to universities. i agree. but i think it is ridiculous too. tickets for student tickets to our football games start at $46. I once paid $150 for 2 tickets to homecoming. it's ridiculous. i mean, tickets for the opera don't cost that much. i don't think it's fair that tickets are so expensive, especially student tickets.

Title IX does NOT require that schools spend equal amounts of money on men's and women's sports. Scholarships have to be allocated equally, but other than that all it requires is that "treatment" of male and female athletes be equal. It sounds to me like your school is just using Title IX as an excuse for cutting your sport so they'll have more football money...

As much as you hate to hear it, investing in a football program is more beneficial to the university as a whole. It gets alums involved, gets FREE PUBLICITY in the media, attracts more students and bett and ultimately football makes money. and if you're at the college i think you are at, the head coach has signed the best class of football players in the university's history

LOL. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Beneficial to the university as a whole? Yeah...cutting over 400 course sections, 6 varsity and olympian sports, and laying off 750 faculty and staff is really beneficial. And for what? A mediocre football team? Don't give me the argument that a better football team brings in better students. That's crap.

And the head coach is the highest paid state employee, making over $1 million as well as a bunch of extra hundreds of thousands of dollars in perks, all coming from the taxpayers. I'm also sure that they have a number of other funds they're paying him in secret, since a few already scandals already got exposed. For all that he should be leading the college version of the 1972 Miami Dolphins.

People argue that football brings in money. BS. It brings in some money, but the net is in the red, FAR in the red.

You're hearing the news they want you to hear, so don't give me an argument about how good it is to invest in this football program. I'm here. I see what's going on, a lot better than you.

Ha, well, our crew alumni contributed millions of dollars to save the crew program, but the school refused such funds. We have the money (since you know, rowers are smart and actually graduate and become successful...not just uneducated football players who had a .1% chance at the NFL). This goes deeper than not having the money, much deeper.

And I hate to break it to you, but men's sports will always have a higher priority in my mind than women's sports.

i know - women's sports tend to be neglected, but i'm glad they have an opportunity to play. whereas tickets to men's football and baseball are really hard to come by, they have a hard time just GIVING away tickets to womens' basketball. and there is no womens' football team here.

i still don't see how it's the fault of women's sports though - sounds like this is an issue of priorities in the athletic department. i know, at my school too, the athletic director gets paid more than any other person at the university.

link removed

i know - women's sports tend to be neglected, but i'm glad they have an opportunity to play. whereas tickets to men's football and baseball are really hard to come by, they have a hard time just GIVING away tickets to womens' basketball. and there is no womens' football team here.

i still don't see how it's the fault of women's sports though - sounds like this is an issue of priorities in the athletic department. i know, at my school too, the athletic director gets paid more than any other person at the university.

link removed

I admit, I'm bitter towards women's sports.

I might as well come out and say it since I'd be lying if we didn't get around this fact. MEN ARE BETTER ATHLETES. Obviously. Because of that, men tend to be more interested in sports. You can't deny those facts.

So how is it fair that they have to give out equal scholarships when many of the girls are doing sports merely for status and money? I have many girls' testimonials to back this up, by the way. Our's women's team is a joke compared to us. They have such low work ethic, but some of them get $10k a year for being lazy while we get nothing. A lot of women's programs here are jokes and act as ways for girls to get free money, but you can't say that or else you'll be labeled a sexist.

Archived