Reborn Dolls... A Weird Obsession for Childless Women?

Hope75

Just saw a program about this on BBC America...

link removed

Apparently some of these woman actually go out in public with these dolls and buy expensive prams, outfits, etc for them.

One woman even flew from the UK to Washington DC to pick up her 'new baby'.

They are gorgeous dolls, look very lifelike, but Good Lord!

It's all just too creepy for words.

I mean, I want a baby, but not this much!!

Oh and apparently they can cost upwards of thousands of dollars!!

Those things creep me out. When I first saw them I thought about having one made for my son, but I couldn't do it. But people actually take them out and treat them like real babies? Wow! That's um beyond weird.

This one woman on the show apparently had been very active in raising her grandson and when his ill mother recovered and moved away with him she was devestated and had one custom made that looked like her absent grandchild as a newborn.

These are grown woman prancing around in public with these dolls.

Creepy!!!

It is probably an imbalance of some kind. Where they can not accept that they can not have a child or having one taken away. Lack of that acceptance has been seen in other higher mammals too. There have been stories of apes and monkeys that will carry their dead infants and refuse to surrender them.

This one woman on the show apparently had been very active in raising her grandson and when his ill mother recovered and moved away with him she was devestated and had one custom made that looked like her absent grandchild as a newborn.

These are grown woman prancing around in public with these dolls.

Creepy!!!

OMG! If someone did that with my son i'd be so creeped and unsure if I would allow my son back around them until they got professional help. That's just something sane people don't do.

I saw it last week here, and i think its sick and weird. I mean, it is, Im sorry, its really sad.

When we were kids there was a certain age you stopped playing with dolls.

Now these women justify it by labelling it a reborn doll, when really its just weird.

God if i'd caught my mother playing with my dolls when i was a young girl... man that would have been weird.

These women really need some help. One in particular had about 15 of them, and one had her own sons hair transplanted in its head.

She obviously had issues with detaching herself from him.

Lack of adult company?

Grown women are too old to play with dolls especially when they think the doll is real.

It is probably an imbalance of some kind. Where they can not accept that they can not have a child or having one taken away. Lack of that acceptance has been seen in other higher mammals too. There have been stories of apes and monkeys that will carry their dead infants and refuse to surrender them.

Yes, I would agree with this. One of the woman admitted that she didn't have any real children but felt a 'primal need' to mother something, and this doll filled that void. Oddly, she and her husband were of childbearing age and yet 'never pursued' actual conception, said they were having too much fun.

Some come with open eyes and some with closed eyes, but they don't blink. Some of them are made to 'breathe' and feel warm though, which to me just adds to the creep factor.

The grandmother who had the baby made brought it home and her husband said it reminded him of something off the slab at the mortuary. LOL!

Really bizarre. I never ever in my life wanted kids (nor dolls) so I don't get it. My mom is obsessed with babies and small children (she is now 70), but she talks baby talk to her pets and that seems to be the extent of it.

I think any of these women should spawn a new category of shrink... like ambulance chasing lawyers, now pram chasing psychiatrists...

I never really played with dolls much as a child..I am certainly not going to start now! When I was a child I was more into stuffed animals...I guess even back then I was more interested in animals than in children!

LOL me too! i never liked dolls. i've had hundreds of stuffies, but dolls? i think one or two. in a corner somewhere.

I loved "action" dolls - like SheRa - when I was young. Not so much now. lol.

And people never believe me when I say, I didn't have a Barbie. Perhaps because so many women I know had HUGE collections of Barbies and sluff.

Didn't have "baby dolls" either.

My mother was a bit odd though ...I wasn't even ALLOWED to have a Barbie or to watch Mr. Rogers...she thought they were "creepy and unwholesome". LOL.

I loved "action" dolls - like SheRa - when I was young. Not so much now. lol.

And people never believe me when I say, I didn't have a Barbie. Perhaps because so many women I know had HUGE collections of Barbies and sluff.

Didn't have "baby dolls" either.

My mother was a bit odd though ...I wasn't even ALLOWED to have a Barbie or to watch Mr. Rogers...she thought they were "creepy and unwholesome". LOL.

I had no Barbies either. I had action figures, but they were all male! Lone Ranger and other cowboys with their horses. My mom tried but I hated the dolls so much, she gave up...

I had no Barbies either. I had action figures, but they were all male! Lone Ranger and other cowboys with their horses. My mom tried but I hated the dolls so much, she gave up...

Yay! You could have been a playmate with me as a kid then. Loneranger could storm SheRa's castle. lol.

with so many children waiting for adoption in this world, this kind of thing disturbs me.

something "similar" = link removed

adult dolls for the lonely, so now you could actually get a partner and baby.. weird.

sometimes it so hard to keep faith in mankind *sigh

I saw that on Fox the other week

I am just hoping that I am not going to be so sad in the future.

il make a pact with you, if either one of us ever invest's in such a thing, the other has to go to the "investors" house, take the doll, slap the owner, and burn it. lol

Archived