Quick question about hair dye

lila...
10 Beautiful Hair Colors To Inspire...
10 Beautiful Hair Colors To Inspire Your Next Look #shorts

Oh my Gosh, I just dyed my hair black (not myself, I went to a salon). I don't know if I like it or hate it, it's just really different and I guess I gotta get used to it. I'll wait till I wear my hair normal and see if I like it or not, I can't get a sense of what it'll look like just yet cause it's straight out of the salon. But I think I like it So just a quick question, for those who dye your hair, how long do you wait before washing it? I want to take a shower tomorrow but will this make the color come right out? I totally forgot to ask the hairdresser. I wash my hair every day or else it gets really oily, so I'm not like most people who wash it only a couple of times a week. Would it be safe to wash it tomorrow?

You should be fine washing it tomorrow. Be forewarned the water will probably have some dye in it, don't freak out, it won't just all wash out.

To be safe those use cooler water as opposed to warmer water.

(warmer water opens the hair follicles making it easier for the dye to be rinsed out)

Its not like a perm though where you have to wait 3 days or anything.

i would skip a day of washing it, maybe two. you're right, you need time for the color to "lock in." and buy a color-safe shampoo.

a little advice in case you end up not liking it:

i accidentally dyed my hair black (from platinum BLOND) last year.... don't ask. And i HATED it. (i'm too pale for it.)

i called my aunt who is a hairstylist, and asked her what to do. she suggested mixing a drop of my leftover hair-bleach from when i was blond (can be found in most beauty-supply stores) with hair conditioner, and leaving it on for five minutes. it lightened my hair to a medium-dark brown, with a hint of red. which looked a lot better on me than black. i waited six months then dyed it brown.

You should be fine washing it tomorrow. Be forewarned the water will probably have some dye in it, don't freak out, it won't just all wash out.

To be safe those use cooler water as opposed to warmer water.

(warmer water opens the hair follicles making it easier for the dye to be rinsed out)

Its not like a perm though where you have to wait 3 days or anything.

Oh thanks for the tip, I would've washed it with very hot water because it's so cold in the morning. Just to be safe, I guess I can wait till tomorrow night or even Sunday morning.

Maybe those shampoos/conditioners for color treated hair.

Yeah I got one of those

i would skip a day of washing it, maybe two. you're right, you need time for the color to "lock in." and buy a color-safe shampoo.

a little advice in case you end up not liking it:

i accidentally dyed my hair black (from platinum BLOND) last year.... don't ask. And i HATED it. (i'm too pale for it.)

i called my aunt who is a hairstylist, and asked her what to do. she suggested mixing a drop of my leftover hair-bleach from when i was blond (can be found in most beauty-supply stores) with hair conditioner, and leaving it on for five minutes. it lightened my hair to a medium-dark brown, with a hint of red. which looked a lot better on me than black. i waited six months then dyed it brown.

I don't think it looks too drastic on me being that my natural hair color is dark brown, almost black itself, but it does look different. I think it'll take a few days before I could really see what it's gonna look like. Thanks for the tip though, if it turns out it is too black and I end up hating it, I'll try that!

i'd lay off for a bit. your hair might be a little dry from the dye, and gel and hairspray contain alcohol, which is also drying. i'd keep my hair in a ponytail for a day.

It's drying but it won't make the color come off, right?

Unless she used temporary dye, it will stay dark even if you wash it (in fact, hair that is dyed too dark is hard to get rid of without a lot of bleach to lighten it).

Haircolor usually fades over time and washing, but you'll have to have it done every month to 6 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows.

I use the hair dye from the store and usually dye my hair late in the afternoon. Then I don't wash it until the next evening...not because I am waiting for the dye to set in, but because the chemicals have already pulled out all the oil from my hair so it is not necessary to wash it until the next day. I also have to wash my hair every day otherwise it gets too oily..I also prefer going to bed with clean hair. The colour usually fades after about 6 weeks.

I use the hair dye from the store and usually dye my hair late in the afternoon. Then I don't wash it until the next evening...not because I am waiting for the dye to set in, but because the chemicals have already pulled out all the oil from my hair so it is not necessary to wash it until the next day. I also have to wash my hair every day otherwise it gets too oily..I also prefer going to bed with clean hair. The colour usually fades after about 6 weeks.

agree. the color will usually fade, if just slightly.

people are constantly asking me if i dyed my hair when i didn't. then they say "oh, wow, it looks lighter every time i see you."

i look back at pictures of myself in the beginning of the year and i am surprised at how lighter my hair looks just from time.

I dye my hair black all the time and it doesn't ever get brassy, it just fades out. My hair is naturally dark brown with red highlights so the first thing you notice is the red highlights coming through the black. It actually doesn't look bad, if anything the red coming through gives it a more realistic tone. I've used a few different shampoos for color treated hair and they don't feel like they get it fully clean (I have oily hair) nor do they seem to preserve the color any longer than regular shampoo. But that's just me, my hair is extremely fine and resistant to dye. I wash my hair every day and black "permanent" hair dye starts washing out noticeably in 4-6 weeks. The good news is that going darker than your natural hair color isn't nearly as damaging to your hair as when you lighten it.

Archived