Sublease Agreement?

hmdreamer7

In order to save money as I move this winter, I decide to look for subletted apts, and found one that fit my needs. But, I have to sign and take over the actual lease from the apartment management, meaning that the price of full rent would be in my name. But the current tenant (who will soon no longer be the tenant) still has agreed to me that she will pay a certain amount of the rent. I'm so confused at this point, but would that still be called a Sublease agreement?

Does anyone know where I can find a written sublease agreement somewhere, or how I can write one for myself? I've googled a bit, but am still lost.

Thanks

When something is on your name, you have to pay, its that simple. Anything that comes along with it is most likely a 'verbal' agreement but wouldn't hold ground in front of a court so to speak. Anything that is verbal can be ultra easily denied. So make sure whatever you do is decently put on paper for confirmation.

If she is not living there, and your name is on the lease, then you owe the full amount, regardless of what promises she makes you.

And even if she signs an agreement to pay you X per month towards the lease, if she defaults and doesn't pay, since she is already out of the apartment, your only recourse is to sue her to try to get the money back, and the legal fees may be more than whatever she owes you. Even if you win a judgment against her, she has to have assets for your to garnish in order to get your money back. If she leaves the state, it may be next to impossible to get your money back.

So i think the best solution is to find an apartment where the whole lease is what you can afford, or get her to give you the lump sum difference of what she would have paid for the entire year to you up front when you sign the lease with the apt. owner. Otherwise you are at risk should she choose not to honor your agreement.

Archived