So my girlfriend broke up with me about 2 weeks ago. We dated for just over a year, but we have had a much longer history together (dated for 3 years a few years before we got back together). I must say, for some reason, it was much easier to get over her this time. Maybe it was the thought that I healed before and went back to a normal life eventually. Maybe it was something else. Don't get me wrong, I definitely went through a week of feeling like the world was crashing down on me... but mid-weekend, while hanging out with some good friends, I realized that it's just senseless to feel miserable. It wasn't very constructive.

Ok, so I'm not "completely" over her, becasue I still think about her. I'm definitely on my way to healing but I developed another problem. I can't sleep. I've always kind of been a night-owl but this is ridiculous. I couldn't get down last night till about 3AM. I felt Like I slept ok, but I woke up at 6:30AM and could not get back to sleep (well I couldn't cause I had to go to work). But, this is not just yesturday. I haven't slept well since the break-up. I don't get it. I feel so much better. I go to the gym almost everyday, and I feel like I should be able to sleep. The weird thing is, I'm not really that tired during the day, even though I only sleep like 3-4 hours a night. It's kind of freaking me out. I feel like ... Tyler Durden. LOL. Am I starting to be an insomniac?!

Has this happened to anyone here. I read some posts saying that people can't get out of bed, but nothing like this. Thoughts?

I had the exact same thing for nearly a month after my break up... my issue though was that I was so heartbroken and still thinking about him a lot and still feeling so sad and missing him, that he was on my mind constantly. So, when I wasn't soundly sleeping my thoughts would go to him and then I'd be up and unable to fall back asleep, all hours of the night. Before even falling asleep I would be crying or thinking of him and unable to relax and fall asleep... basically, becuase my mind was so stuck on him and I was grieving so badly I just couldn't sleep.

Is your mind on her a lot, and when it is are you sad and running things over and over in your head? If that's the case, it's probably why you can't sleep. I had to get sleeping pills because my body was so exausted from just a couple hours of sleep each night. Eventually though (3 months later now) I don't think of him as much. I'm just as sad still, but he's not the last thing on my mind when I go to sleep, and not the first thing my mind goes to when my eyes open, so the sleeping is better, and I'm off the sleeping pills.

I think you are doing the right thing with the gym and such, just give it a week or so more and you will probably find that you start to get back into your regular sleeping habits. I used to be a nightowl too... now I'm in bed before midnight most nights and I sleep right through the night. I think I'm just going through a mental exhaustion period though where my heart mind and soul is so hurt from thinking of him all the time that I just want to relax and sleep. 2 weeks isn't that long for a break up of a year, I seriously think you will be ok in a week or so. I wouldn't take sleeping pills if you can stay away from them. Try sleepy time tea or relaxing music before bed

hey Jammer,

You know, she's not on my mind all the time. I guess it's weird because I had such a hard time a week ago. I completely stopped talking to her after a couple of e-mails back and forth, which I also don't think were very constructive. In fact, they kind of made me think that she's an idiot and made me feel really jaded on the whole situation. I have been meditating a lot, which is probably why I'm not tired during the day. But you are right, I'm sure my sleep patterns will go back to normal. Thank you for your kind words. Hey, I really hope you can more on soon. No one deserves to feel this way. I think that what many people here need to realize is that the reason why your ex's were with you is because you are really great people. Realize that you are a catch and that your ex's are missing out big time. There are people out there that will love you for being the real you. Jammer, keep your head up.

BTW... It's already getting late and i'm wide awake. CRAP

Starting Over In a Relationship - B...
Starting Over In a Relationship - Beginners Guide

Archived