birthday didn't turn out as planned

tom1607307597

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since it deals with how I'm feeling right now I guess this a good place to start.

This last weekend I turned 21, which should have been a total blast, or I always though it was going to turn out that way. It's not that I didn't have fun, but I must have been expecting more out of it. Me and few friends went out for dinner, I got a beer to celebrate me turning 21, and then we all went bowling afterward. The following night we went out to a strip club which wasn't that bad I guess.

What I can't seem to come to terms with is that barely anyone showed up. Out of 25+ people invited, only 2 people showed up and everyone else flaked out. Some people had good reasons for why they couldn't show up. One friend was going out to a wedding that weekend, another was going with her brother to check out a college campus. Most of the people though just decided not to show up. Maybe it's stupid for me to feel resentful at everyone who didn't have a good reason to miss it. I still feel pissed that so many people never showed up, from my perspective it was just 2-4 hours out of your time to spend with a guy who was turning 21. That was it. Whether they felt it was a lame way to spend their time I don't know. Maybe I would have been better off throwing a huge beer party with some beer pong or something else that is typical of a person turning 21. That's not cool to me though, getting wasted doesn't sound very fun except to everyone watching.

Right now I don't want to go pointing fingers at all those people, just because I know they'll think I don't even deserve to be told "happy birthday" if I make such a big deal out of this. Short and simple, my birthday didn't live up to all these expectations I had for awhile now.

So I guess I have to ask:

1. Does what I did for my 21st sound really lame? Be honest please.

2. Should I still be angry at these people for choosing to flake on me?

I don't celebrate my birthday. I treat it as a normal day, because that's what it is. IMO, you shouldn't expect anything, not even for a milestone like your 21st. Expect to go the day without hearing a word from anyone, because most likely it will turn out more on that end of the spectrum than a birthday everyone remembers and has fun on.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! you have your whole life ahead of you!! how exciting!!!

This is why i stopped planning thing like birthdays, leaving parties, New Years etc.

when you plan big, you expect big.... when you don't plan, 30 people show up for dinner.

I wouldn't worry about it... this sort of thing happenes to everyone

I don't celebrate my birthday. I treat it as a normal day, because that's what it is. IMO, you shouldn't expect anything, not even for a milestone like your 21st. Expect to go the day without hearing a word from anyone, because most likely it will turn out more on that end of the spectrum than a birthday everyone remembers and has fun on.

Exactly. I get a few happy b-day wishes, but other than that, everyone else doesnt care. Ive grown to live with it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! At least ya know who your good friends are!!! I don't have friends, but I plan on a romantic get away!!! I'm saving up for a vacation on my 21st, I also don't celebrate it on the day, it has always turned out bad. So now I do it on a made up birthday!

The truth reveals itself lol. Actually I thought that might be the case. Most of the people I invited weren't really close friends, just friends of friends I already knew. My expectation was that at least 8 people would show up, which actually turned out to be actually 2 haha (laughs at self). I tried to keep them low because I knew there wouldn't be like 20 people or something that high, people don't like me that much.

Anyway thanks for the birthday wishes guys, I really appreciate it. Maybe next year will be better.

Happy Birthday!!!!

I don't think it sounds lame at all...you got to spend time with a couple of friends doing something you enjoy. Keep in mind that some of your friends did have valid reasons for not attending and I'm sure they would have been there if they were able. I understand that you feel a little hurt by it, but try not to....sometimes these things happen. I hope you have a great year!

Happy birthday! Remember that it's not how MANY people you're with, it's WHO you're with. You still had fun, right? And you know who your real friends are now, right?

I know how you feel. For my 22nd birthday, I planned and planned and invited so many people. Three people showed up for me, and seven of my boyfriend's friends showed up for him (birthdays are a day apart, so it's a joint thing usually). This year, I didn't plan, I simply called my good friends, arranged a pot-luck kind of deal, bought some booze, and we had a great party! I didn't have any expectations this time, and it turned out to be awesome. My real friends, are the ones who came to celebrate my 23rd with me, and who hadn't even thought about being anywhere else. I hope that your next birthday will be more like that

150+ Best Happy 21st Birthday Wishe...
150+ Best Happy 21st Birthday Wishes and Quotes

Archived