Should I stick with pre-med?

havefaith

My question is this: does graduating pre-med + english appeal significantly more than a straight up english major would to law school or other graduate programs?

At the moment I'm a junior at a top 20 U.S. university and my majors are pre-professional studies (aka pre-med) & English. Pre-professional studies includes all the med school reqs (Chems, Bios, Physics, + science electives).

I'm a transfer student and am behind with my credits. It's going to be a tight squeeze graduating on time as it is. I no longer think med school is an option for me, just because I'm behind with my science core after transferring so I'd be taking MCAT late & stuff, but I'm not really heartbroken over that because I'm starting to realize there are a lot of options out there.

I'm primarily thinking PA, PT, or Law school because of the English degree. If I did go to Law school, I would eventually want to get into medical law, which I was thinking my science background would help with.

Here's the thing -- I'm really struggling with balancing my English & science classes. Second semester Organic chemistry is going really horribly at the moment... kids have been dropping left and right and I'm trying to decide if I should be one of them. On one hand I don't have that many science credits left to do and I'm tempted to just put my nose to the grindstone and finish it out since next semester would be infinitely easier, but on the other hand I can't stop thinking about how much easier my life would be without Orgo for the rest of the semester.

I'm afraid to quit because I feel like I'm closing the door on options. At the same time, this is starting to hurt my GPA. I have a 3.2 right now but without these science classes I could be getting straight As or close to it. I can't decide if I'm just needlessly obsessing over having "Pre-professional studies" on my degree.

It depends on the school, to be honest. Although I always thought Poli Sci was the preferred pre-law school program...

I know of some med schools that don't care what you did for your undergrad, and others that won't take you unless you did science/pre-med, and I'd think law schools would work similarly.

Why can't you just take an extra year to complete your degree?

Law schools get a ton of English major applicants. Pre-med is a bit different, and often considered to be more rigorous, which might catch their attention. However, I wouldn't stick with it if your GPA is hurting significantly as a result, since the top two things law schools will look at are your LSAT and GPA.

Sparkles, my logic is also that law schools -- and employers in general -- would rather see someone well-rounded who stands out and challenges herself. I think at this point the difference in GPA might be circa 3.0-3.3 with pre-med vs. 3.5-3.7ish not pre-med.

I don't want to go to med school because I'm behind with my science credits thus not ready to take the MCAT on time, also my science GPA isn't all it should be. However, I have not ruled Physician's Assistant or physical therapy out ... that is if I can get through organic chemistry and physics... at this point those are the only things standing in my way.

i think people only care about what you get your degree in - English. having taken all those classes wont really matter in the end when it comes to what you degree you have (if for examle you choose not to apply to med school) so i dont think it saying or not saying 'pre professional studies' on you degree will even matter. i dont even think itll say it all cause pre professional studies is just a list of pre req's for most med schools but it doesnt actually do anything (what i mean is, its not a real major, no one gets an actual DEGREE in 'Pre professional studies')

if its hurting you that much and you dont wanna take the extra time to get into med school then i would just drop organic chemistry and try to improve your gpa at this point so you have a strong grade for your other options. if you DO want to get into med school then i would just stick it out because med school is so long anyways - why not take one more year? it seems like you have decided you wanna graduate on time no matter what but honestly i dont think a 4 year versus a 5 year time spent in college is that much difference. just depends on how much you want to get where you wanna be. theres no time limit on applying to med school.

Work And Study Pros And Cons – Wh...
Work And Study Pros And Cons – What To Expect & Helpful Tips

Archived