Open Club  ·  21 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Tour Groups For The Solo/Single Traveler?

Peppermint_P

Hi Everyone,

Are any travel groups or tour companies that cater to the solo traveler where you can travel and not have to pay a single supplement?

If so, does anyone know of any in the USA?

BTW...I am NOT looking for a singles tour company where you meet other singles and have a bunch of loser guys oggling you like a piece of meat.

I just want to travel, sightsee, visit museums, etc, that is all.

Thanks,

Patty

hey Patty,

Just curious to know why you are looking for a tour group? I've traveled extensively on my own and find its sooooo easy to meet people, without a tour group.

which part of the world are you interested in traveling to?

edit; oops just saw you said US!

I did Contiki Tours when I was in the 18-35 age range and I really enjoyed it. However you had shared rooms. Tour groups like Cosmos, Globus and Trafalgar tend to cater to seniors. I did Cosmos in Eastern Canada/New England and in Norway/Sweden/Denmark and didn't mind that it was an older crowd..there were a few people my age (at the time late 20's early 30's). However, there was a single supplement. It will be very difficult to find a tour company that doesn't charge extra if you want a room to yourself. If you are willing to share a room then you won't pay extra. On the Cosmos tour of Eastern Canada/New England, although I didn't pay for a single supplement, there were an odd number of women so I ended up not having to share a room. In Scandinavia I was not so lucky and ended up with a very loud snorer. By the last couple of days I was desperate for a good night's rest so I paid extra to have my own room.

I did not want to travel alone because of the safety issue. There is comfort in traveling on tour because you are with the same people for 14 days and you look out for each other. Meeting up with people randomly you never quite know who you can trust. There is also the bonus of the fact that you don't have to think about your itinerary..everything is planned out and you get to see the main attractions. The problem is the time...sometimes you get full days or 2 days in a city and other times you only get a few hours. At any rate, I loved going on bus tours.

Crazy About Dogs,

Thanks for the reply. I am in my early 40's and traveling is on my "bucket list" of things to do.

I will have to look into the travel companies you mentioned. Thx for the info.

Anyway here is another question for you, how do you determine if a tour is a good buy or not?

Some tours you only get a few meals and others you get pretty much everything... so how do you determine which one is the better deal?

Also when you got paired up with another traveler, do they try to pair people up that don't smoke? I am a non-smoker so rooming with a smoker or someone who is constantly lighting up a cigarette would be a MAJOR, MAJOR issue with me.

Patty

Crazy About Dogs,

Thanks for the reply. I am in my early 40's and traveling is on my "bucket list" of things to do.

I will have to look into the travel companies you mentioned. Thx for the info.

Anyway here is another question for you, how do you determine if a tour is a good buy or not?

Some tours you only get a few meals and others you get pretty much everything... so how do you determine which one is the better deal?

Also when you got paired up with another traveler, do they try to pair people up that don't smoke? I am a non-smoker so rooming with a smoker or someone who is constantly lighting up a cigarette would be a MAJOR, MAJOR issue with me.

Patty

Yes, you can definitely state you want to be paired up with a non-smoker. It is not only about the number of meals, you should also consider the places you will see. Cosmos was typically more budget hotels sometimes not quite in the main area of town...Globus and Trafalgar chose nicer accommodations but their prices were higher. For the tour companies, usually a buffet breakfast is included, a substantial breakfast. Lunch you are typically on your own and there are lunch stops along the way. It is the number of dinners which vary....but when they don't provide dinner it is a good opportunity to sample the local restaurants. There are often optional excursions which you pay extra for so keep that in mind. When you read the brochures, pay special attention to wording..."you will see x y z and take a ferry accross to see a b c" means that these things are included in the price of your tour. "You may like to see X Y Z or perhaps try your hand at A B C" means they are giving you suggestions on what you can do but that is not covered by them.

I would suggest going to a travel agent and getting the brochures. Also find out what other tour companies are around. You are too old for Contiki unfortunately...I found them the best! Compare prices and itinerary.

oh, then contiki is not in your age range. i agree with crazyaboutdogs, look into trafalgar, or other tour groups. maybe ask some friends where they had fun. I agree with looking into the wording as to if something is optional and you have to pay, or is included. find out just how much is included, some tours pay for just about all your meals, others pay for none.

Archived