Doing something about it.

equinox

Well I've made a few threads in here about how much I dislike the course I'm studying at college. I decided to talk to my mom about it (we're not close and she's not very approachable so it was a big step) and she advised me to talk to the student councilor.

I made an appointment for the week after next. Thing is, I don't know what to expect from this. What I would like is to perhaps transfer to another course though I doubt that's possible. However, even if they let me move to another college it would be good as it would be like a fresh start so to speak.

Anyone know what I could expect?

Before you go in, put to paper what your concrete questions are. They are there to help you, and they are aware that no one benefits from you doing courses that you really don't find interesting. What is it that you'd want out of it, if no rules for transfer, credits, etc, would apply? Do you have a plan B (another course/study) you wish to do?

These people will guide you but not make decisions for you. My guess is that you step in, shake their hand and they'll ask you straight away what they can do for you. So have something prepared so you don't spend too much time wondering how to phrase it

If they have a website, read the information that is available there. They will probably not inform you in detail about things that you can find yourself on the resources that are available.

Do you have an idea of what you want to do after college? You don't HAVE to know to pick your major but it would help.

I chose my major based on the courses I enjoyed. I did well in college.. but now I don't know what I want to do with my degree. I'll figure it out eventually, but if I could do it again I would have worked harder figuring out what I want to do for my working life rather than what course of study I enjoyed most for 4 years.

Like I said, if you have no idea what you're going to do after college, it's okay; most people are in the same boat. But what classes do you find interesting? I hope you took a variety a prerequisites.. math, english, religion, history, biology, psychology...

Whichever classes lecture's make you think "wow, that's interesting".. that is what you should major in. If you still don't know.. go in to the Advisor with an idea of what you MIGHT want to major in.

Thanks for the replies all. Yes these guys do have a sight, apparently the most commenly asked question (in academic matters) is in relation to course choice and transfers.

Currently I study computer programming. Now I'm sure that programming is fantastic to some people and it definitely seems like a very challenging career but it's not for me at all.

I don't know exactly what I would like to do but my biggest interests would be history and english. I also love music so I guess something like that. I'd honestly be happy with a civil service job where I'm secure and could focus on music and stuff like that.

I think what I'll ask them is if I could maybe change to doing something I would enjoy more. Any subject with alot of writing and research (such as politics, history etc) would be me through and through.

TikTok Advice For Relationships Suc...
TikTok Advice For Relationships Sucks

Archived