My math teacher is psycho!

Rose21

I can't even describe the anger I feel right now. I'm in college, and she's treating it more strict then high school!

My college is 25 minutes away from my house, but I don't have a car (I'm getting insurance together so I can finally get my liscense THEN a car) My friend Ashley usualy always takes me in the mornings, she goes to the same school and also has a 8 am class and just lives 5 min from my house.

She gets sick alot, so quite a few times she's been late. But if she tells me the night before, usualy my mom can take me.

Well one day I missed in math (all of my classes aswell) Because I was REALLY sick. And the 2nd time (just in math) was because she had gone to the hospital the night before, and the put her on morphine and over slept.

The 3rd time (wasn't an absense. I was there! But she marked me absent anyways and wont change it)

So now this will be the 4th time in that class. The 2nd time in all of my other classes(not a big deal there)

But seriously, my teacher had the school send me a note. She says if I miss more then 6 times ( I have 2 times left) She'll drop ALL of my classes! Not just her class, but she'll make sure I'm totaly dropped and kicked out of school, and have to wait til the next semester and be totaly behind and not able to finish my AA in time!

Her dad drove her car to work because he hates his, and she can't drive her dad's because she isn't insured. She was going to drive her boyfriends with him, but he drove from Odessa which is 5 hrs away yesterday and it wouldn't start!

My boyfriend flew in to Lubbock yesterday night, and he was going to take me, but the car that he is able to drive his mom took! (it's her car, but something must of come up he said because she doesnt start work til 10)

And my mom isn't here because she's out of town=( Neither is my stepdad.

I feel so helpless because I have this stupid teacher who wouldn't care if I was half dead if it caused me to miss more then 6 hrs, she wouldnt hesitate to drop me.

I just don't know what to do anymore....I have 2 more shots, but ALOT can happen until X-mas break! (thats when semester is over) And all of it is out of my control.

Advice?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be cruel but that is the real world, nobody cares when you are sick, they just want you there and they want results. It is not treating you worse than HS. In HS we are very babied. I am afraid to say once you get out into life it will get worse from here.

I'm a bit confused: from your account, it seems you've missed math once due to sickness, and once due to transport problems, and once due to being marked absent when you were actually present, but then you talk about missing it four times. What happened on the other one?

Anyway, the problem is that your math teacher doesn't know your personal circumstances. All she sees is a student who is regularly absent, and really, if you're going to miss one class more than six times in a semester, you're asking for trouble.

If I were you, I'd first try to find a more reliable form of transport to get there, to ensure that you can be there until the end of the term no matter what. For example, you could use your mom as the default (if she is willing) and your friend only as an extra if she happens to be available, rather than the other way around as at present. You can also explain to your teacher the individual circumstances, and your transport problems and what you're doing to resolve them, so that she is in a better position to understand.

While I wouldn't care if you were absent more than six times in my class, many other professors do and it's understandable. I don't think she's being psycho, I think you're just in a difficult situation that she doesn't understand.

Well atleast in high school you would atleast get a tardy. Not miss credit.

My mother is a teacher and when she found out (when the letter was sent) She flipped out and said she had never heard of a college teacher doing that, she wanted to call her and I told her that would only make things worse.

I feel that since WE are paying for the classes, the teachers have no right to drop us. They can fail me, but if I don't come to class that's my problem.

She could even drop me from JUST her class. She doesn't have a right to do it to any of my other classes.

Most of my teachers dont really take attendence, or refuse to drop their students (like my criminal justice teacher) he is also a cop and he says if she threatens me, he will make sure he puts it in her face that I'm usualy always in his class, and that he wont let her drop me from his.

Some teachers take it WAAY to seriously.

I hate this school. My friend got kicked out of the class (8:00 class) because he showed up at 8:03 on the FIRST day! So he was like "f-this" and is now doing all online classes.

My teacher can't even teach. I'm horrible at math, and need all the help I can get, but all of the kids are correcting her because she hasnt a clue what she's talking about!

The 4th time was today. (for the transportation problems)

And my mom could take me, but its a big hassle fo her usualy.

But she's usualy my back up, but like I said she isn't in town today.

And I DID explain to my teacher about my transport issue. And she said she doesn't care. It's my problem. She says she has tons of students that are in the same boat as me, and she shouldn't give me any special treatment.

I asked, "So if I was rushed to the hospital for emergency care and I happened missing over 6 times, you'd drop me?"

And she says, "Yep. Not my problem. If your going to be sick, you shouldn't of missed the other days" * * * .

You will find ALL kinds of incompetence from all kinds of people in various positions as we go through life. My mom always told me......they passed that course already and you need to so suck it up. I can tell you as someone said you NEED reliable transportation. I can see getting sick but in all honesty when you go out into the world and are looking after yourself they do not care about transportation issues, they just tell you to get there on time and 99% of the time.

These past 2 times were for transportation issues.

If she hadn't marked me absent when I was there, I'd have 3 more times and wouldnt be as pissed.

I forgot to sign the roll and she usualy reminds us all at the end of the class or does a head count. (All teachers do this) And she "forgot" to do it that day. She has less then 20 kids in the class and I sit in the front row! You just DONT see someone.

And I couldn't bike. It'd be ATLEAST 2 hrs. And sometimes I don't even know my ride can't make it until right before 8. Meaning I'd miss it anyways.

I'm horrible at directions have no way to get there, and my only options of getting there would be on the high way (with a bike) or on a small one lane row that bikes arn't allowed on. Not an option. 0 public transportation.

I feel that since WE are paying for the classes, the teachers have no right to drop us. They can fail me, but if I don't come to class that's my problem.

That's more or less the approach that I take with my students as well, but it's not the case for all people. There are two problems for your teacher in that situation: (1) poor marks caused by absense reflect badly on the teacher; (2) students who are absent often bombard the teacher with extra questions about material covered in the classes that were missed (usually near exam time), which creates a lot of extra work. My policy is to simply redirect all students who were absent without good reason in category (2) to the learning materials and their classmates, and (1) highlight the correlation with the same students' poor performance in other classes (as these students tend to skip most classes). Other prefer to enforce attendance to avoid having to deal with the issues at all. When you have one of those, you just have to work with it.

It's a community college. (my boyfriends university "Texas Tech" isn't even that far!

It's 16 miles. Thats impossible on a bike. And like I said, If she tells me she's sick or something the night before I can get there.

But if she tells me 10 min before she usualy gets me, there is no way I would get there on time.

Also 32 miles on a bike for a day would be murder!

That's weird...Normally colleges only care about the money(True story) and could give less care if you showed up...

I had a microeconomics elective that I hated and I'd never show up to...I'd read the book and get the homework online and go in for tests but other than that...no way. It was a 7:45AM class...forget that!

It's a community college. (my boyfriends university "Texas Tech" isn't even that far!

It's 16 miles. Thats impossible on a bike. And like I said, If she tells me she's sick or something the night before I can get there.

But if she tells me 10 min before she usualy gets me, there is no way I would get there on time.

Also 32 miles on a bike for a day would be murder!

Well theres your problem...Go to a university...They just care about the money and not about the attendance.

When I went to University they had 400 students to a class in the 1st and 2nd year classes there is NO way they know if someone is there or not, they also do not care, if you do not have the results you are gone. In a community college with limited numbers in a class they have to care because otherwise half the class can not be there and then there is no reason to teach.

well, it depends. when i went to college, there were a lot of classes where the profs could care less if we showed up or didn't. but in smaller classes, especially lab classes, and discussion section, attendance was mandatory and our grade was docked if we didn't show up. None of the math courses I ever took had required attendance, but I guess that is because there were 100+ students in the class. Laboratory classes, yes, we had to be there. the TA can't be there for 4 hours to help you make up an experiement.

i'm currently in graduate school and am in a required attendance course. we can only miss 4 classes a semester (2 due to excused absenses, and 2 due to unexcused absenses).

When I went to University they had 400 students to a class in the 1st and 2nd year classes there is NO way they know if someone is there or not, they also do not care, if you do not have the results you are gone. In a community college with limited numbers in a class they have to care because otherwise half the class can not be there and then there is no reason to teach.

Typical American society.

Charge em 20,000 a year and stuff the classes full of students and not give a crap if they show up to learn, just make sure they PAY!! 'Maximize profits! PROFITS!' cha-ching cha-ching.

(20,000/5 classes) x 400 = 8 million dollars...Average professor salary=60k(i pulled that outta my behind, seems accurate though) 60k x 5 = 300,000. Thats a nice profit! Cha-ching! Overhead cannot be 7.3 million. NO WAY

Typical American society.

Charge em 20,000 a year and stuff the classes full of students and not give a crap if they show up to learn, just make sure they PAY!! 'Maximize profits! PROFITS!' cha-ching cha-ching.

I am Canadian, and we do not pay THAT much, but same idea......lol..I agree with Annie though in tutorials we had only 10 per class and you HAD to be there, attendance was required. In 4th year classes there was 10 to a class and the class was almost 4 hours and it was a lot of one on one with the prof you HAD to be there.

I am Canadian, and we do not pay THAT much, but same idea......lol..I agree with Annie though in tutorials we had only 10 per class and you HAD to be there, attendance was required. In 4th year classes there was 10 to a class and the class was almost 4 hours and it was a lot of one on one with the prof you HAD to be there.

You get my point though, right? And over here a CHEAP school is 20k a year.

And yeah I should note my labs did take attendance. Labs are so fun though, how could you NOT want to go to em. Esp. chemistry ones.

are you really sure it would take 2 hours to bike? you should see if that is the case. i live about 12 minutes from campus by car, and it takes 45 minutes to walk. My friend lives 25 minutes from campus by car, and it takes her 45 minutes to bike. you should look into how long it would really take to bike into school.

another thing - have you considered getting a scooter/vespa? lots of people where i live have them. they cost a lot less than a car.

(20,000/5 classes) x 400 = 8 million dollars...Average professor salary=60k(i pulled that outta my behind, seems accurate though) 60k x 5 = 300,000. Thats a nice profit! Cha-ching! Overhead cannot be 7.3 million. NO WAY

oh gosh. yes it can. remember, you need electricity, heating, AC for all the buildings on campus, books for the library, money for new construction of buildings, you have to pay all the academic staff, grounds keepers, taxes, etc..... there is so much beauracracy at a college campus. those are just a few overhead costs that i can think of, there are tons more.

You get my point though, right? And over here a CHEAP school is 20k a year.

Yes, I got the point.......lol. When I started University I paid $1450 a year and when I left it was $2600 and now it is about $6000. Our universities are partially funded to make them accessable to more people here.

I have never heard of a college teacher doing that, either. I actually don't think they can make you drop all your classes just from missing theirs.

How about just counting on taking the bus or some sort of public transportation every day? That way you don't have to depend on others.

Or if that's not an option, maybe you might need to drop your classes this semester and sign up again when you can get more reliable transportation.

A lot of college teachers SAY you can only be absent so many times, then I'll drop you, but the reality is most of them stop even taking roll after the first few weeks. And I have never heard of them taking the time to send you a note home. In college, they won't babysit you like that.

Archived