What the hell?

I have put in over 40 applications in the last 2 weeks and I haven't gotten any call backs for interviews.I have a stable work history.The only thing I can think of that is preventing interviews is my credit history...it is shot,and if that is the case am I just completely screwed and have to figure out different ways of making money.If I don't find something soon I will be forced to move back in with my folks,and with all of my father's illnesses I will go freaking mad.What can I do...this is a big mess and I'm at my breaking point.

same problem. of course i'm not looking for career work, just something part time. i applied to ten or so different places, haven't had a call back from anyone! and i don't have a bad history either, i am friendly with all my past employers. i guess the economy is already affecting our ability to get jobs.

Well, what type of work are you looking for? What type of experience do you have? If you give more info we might be able to help more.

Your credit wouldn't be checked from just applying, that would be part of a background check which they usually don't do until they have offered and extended an offer (similair to drug test).

Welcome to my world. And no, it's not your credit history its the state of the economy. I've been applying for MONTHS and MONTHS... and nary a call or a bite.

Recently attended a networking seminar. Which opened my eyes and made me want to hurl. It appears I may have been going about this the WRONG way. I've been applying to company's ON-LINE... most of it is on-line.. you'd think thats how they want you to do it since it clearly states .. "APPLY HERE" right?

Wrong. It appears that for every job offering out there there are 500 plus resume's going in for it. So if you think of the HR worker tasked to print up all 500 resume's.. then collate them... then go through each one to determine 3 to 4 of the best cantidates to call in for interviews... do ya think she's taking the time to look at all your transferable skills?

NOPE.

And do you really think she's /he's... qualified to know exactly what transferable skills you have that fit the job script?

NOPE.

She/he gives your resume the quick once over and you are LUCKY if you get a 20 second glance. Lucky because, at the beginning of her day... her computer program only spit out the RELEVANT resume's that were turned in. Most of these on-line AP things have programs that SCAN your resume and pick up the relevant words. Then the program compiles all the resume's and stacks them in order. The top resume having the most "HIT" words in it. The HR worker will then print out... Ohhhh maybe the top 100-500... depending on how much time she has that day.

So how do you do it? Network network network. Hit up all your friends. Hit up all yoru friends friends. And if you do send a resume in.. TAYLOR it... TAYLOR it so that it contains all the hit words that the advertisement did. In your cover letter... take the top 3-4 skill requirements, put them in one column... then in the second column, high light what you've done in the past that meets this requirement.

Should your resume wind up in a PILE... the HR worker will note the highlighted areas.. and see that you've translated all your transferable talent. Your resume then may wind up on the call list.

Hey... it's just another approach. And one that I'm trying out myself.

That's odd. I've gotten many calls and interviews by applying online. One of the jobs I have now I got online. Companies do read them and respond. I've only not received a call back around 5 times out of, say, 20? I do know the relevant words for my profession and use them in my resume, maybe that's it. I also have an excellent work history. My credit's not that good, so I don't think that enters into it.

The job market is tough right now. I get a lot of calls and interviews, but for journeyman contract positions, not the senior management type jobs. Companies are more willing to hire contract than perm due to benefits costs, uncertain economy, and the desire to lower salary ranges to better compete with foreign companies.

I know good people (with perfect credit and stable work histories and multiple degrees) that have been out of work 2 years. All you can do is keep looking. Trade shows and industry groups are another good resource, BTW.

Keep trying. I have heard that statistically, for every 100 jobs applied for you are likely to get one job offer. So until you have put in at least 100 applications, don't even start complaining.

I doubt most employers would look at your credit history, unless you are applying to work at a bank or another financial institution. But maybe in America they do...i don't know, they wouldn't do it here.

Stop worrying and keep applying.

I have put in over 40 applications in the last 2 weeks and I haven't gotten any call backs for interviews.I have a stable work history.The only thing I can think of that is preventing interviews is my credit history...it is shot,and if that is the case am I just completely screwed and have to figure out different ways of making money.If I don't find something soon I will be forced to move back in with my folks,and with all of my father's illnesses I will go freaking mad.What can I do...this is a big mess and I'm at my breaking point.

That sucks if they look into your credit history, but due to a gorgeous, hot, blond nurse sitting in front of me at Starbucks, I won't even try to understand why they do it... Oh joy, some more babes just walked in!

Anyway, I'll try to focus: keep sending out resumes.

Archived