You ever dated somebody you didn't think you would have dated?

My Advice

So this is a question I have for both genders. Have you ever dated somebody with something about their personality type, the way they looked, their job, or background, which you had NEVER believed you would have been attracted to previous to meeting that person. Or have you ever dated somebody who you initially felt no attraction for but suddenly came to feel a strong attraction for?

Did you learn something about yourself in doing so?

I usually date guys who aren't super affectionate or romantic because that kind of sutff used to make me feel uncomfortable. As it turned out, though, it also made me lose feelings for them a lot quicker. The guy I am with now is super sweet, very affectionate and very romantic. It turned me off a little at first as it made me feel a bit uncomfortable but now I love it!!! We've been together over a year and things are still going strong.

Uh...yes. I dated a guy who had done time in levanworth prison for federal drug trafficking. He was hispanic (just for the mental pic, Im obviously not a racist! LOL), sleeved and vested with tattoos, ex drug addict curly dark hair and about 5'7" tall. One of the funniest guys I have ever met.

I am almost 6ft tall. Never did I think I would date a "stereotypical" ex felon. There was nothing stereo typical about him

Yeah, I felt this way with my ex and first true love.

She didn't have my ideal girl body type and she was so outgoing. At first, I went on a date with her and I thought in my mind that there was no way this was going to work out. We were just so different that it seemed impossible that we'd get along. But the more we hung out, the more we grew on each other and the more attractive she became to me. She loved that I was the strong, silent type and I looked past her looks and realized there was someone underneath it all that I was falling for. She completely changed my outlook on what to look for in women and proved that opposites actually do attract (most of the time).

When I met my boyfriend years ago, there was no attraction. In fact I found him rather obnoxious and didn't want anything to do with him.

I decided to just keep it open as a friendship since he hung out in my friend's social circle.

But as time went by and I started learning about him and who he is, I discovered he was exactly what I wanted in a partner, but I just couldn't get past the lack of physical attraction towards him, and the fact that there wasn't chemistry, or a spark or the butterflies.

And part of me felt extremely shallow and the only legit reason I could give to him as to why I wouldn't date was..you're not good looking enough?

Anyways, long story short..fast forward, we've been together almost 5 years..and I am absolutely craaaaaaazzy about him. We have an awesome relationship, he's absolutely amazing and I find him incredibly attractive.

What did I learn? Looks aren't everything. If someone has a great personality, you mesh well, and things click together..a different kind of attraction forms.

I hear quite a few friends complaining about not having a decent guy, unable to find a decent guy, but they place the initial physical attraction as a huge thing. If they arne't drop dead gorgeous, they move right along..when that guy would probably be an amazing partner.

But to each their own, everyone has certain things they want and of course you shouldn't settle, but you shouldn't also be quick to write off someone as well

I want you got me curious, what happened?

It's a long story, but I'll try and sum it up:

We dated for about a year and were deeply in love. She signed up to go away to the military and left for basic training at the height of the relationship. When she got back, she was a completely different person. She took everything I said offensively and her emotions were running wild. I think the freedom she felt there really excited her and when I came back into her life, she wasn't ready for it. This was about 6 months ago.

We are friends again now, but it's just not the same. I still have feelings for her and I think she does for me, but she tends to act on emotions a lot more now than ever, and I can't be with someone like that.

So, while I learned a lot of good from the relationship, I also saw ways that I could improve myself and watch out for signs of failure as well. But it made me a better person. I was A LOT more judgmental before I met her and now I never take things at face value. I dig deeper.

My bf and I are so not each other's type! From body type to height to hair color, we are NOT what the other has ever been interested in. Guess what?? We've found something with each other that we've never been able to find before. We're living together now and expecting our first baby!

I had this with my ex, i was never really very physically attracted to him. It started off i used to see him out alot and we would basically take the pee out of each other, even bickering alot! haha. I kinda liked his personality and it grew into a friendship that grew into a relationship, the more i got to like his personality the more i found him attractive. I could honestly say though ive never had a relationship with someone that ive immediately found to be downright gorgeous.

I knew my bf for a year before the thought of dating him ever crossed my mind. He randomly volunteered to help me with something one day. We started hanging out after that & I realized I was attracted to him. I never thought we'd actually be "together" even after I kissed him.. he's just smaller than most guys I date.. I didn't like to date guys skinnier than me! Plus I was leaving a week later & would be gone for 6 months. But we did the LDR thing & it worked out. I always thought I didn't like the lovey dovey "aww miss you!" type but now I don't like it when he doesn't say it!

Well my ex H was sooooo not my type. He was short, 5ft 6", on the thin side.....normally I go for taller guys and well built guys...but he had a great personality and he grew on me.

Also didn't think I'd ever end up in a relationship with anyone from another race/culture/religion....but I did...so hmmm, yeah, life is full of surprises.

Archived