A question of time...

gary1958
How to leave an abusive relationshi...
How to leave an abusive relationship and why it's so hard

I was in a 2 year relationship with someone diagnosed with Panic/Anxiety Disorder...after the fact the counsellor felt she may have had Borderline Personality Disorder. Anyways it was a long journey out.. I was diagnosed with clinical depression when it was over and was on meds and in counselling.. Was told by the counsellor that I was emotionally abused for the 2 years I was with her and i know i was .... Was physically abused once.. anyways I have done all the self healing.. know why i stayed have learned. But I remember saying when it was first over that I will never forget.. Well 1 1/2 years out I find myself forgetting as well as downplaying what actually happened.. Is this normal part of the healing process and a part of moving on.. I swore i would never forget and lately I seem like I am.. And part of me never wants to. Add to that I think she tried to contact me 4 weeks ago and that in itself scares me as well...

I think that it's healthy for you to forget and that it's the best thing you can do to move on. The memory will always be there to some extent, but I think it should be considered a closed chapter in your life.

I understand why you would never want to forget...you don't want to allow yourself to be in that type of situation again. I'm sure that if you ever find yourself in a relationship with someone like this in the future, very distinct memories will return and that's the point in your life that you'd need to remember. Other than that, there's no point in dwelling on it.

Archived