Let down again! Other parents!

KG

Have to go out of town this weekend, had made arrangements for my son to stay with a friend. I asked repeatedly, are you sure it won't be a problem?

Yep, got the call last night, can't do it! And it's something minor, to boot.

Don't people realise, when asked to accept some responsibility, that they need to buck up, and not pass the buck?

So now I'm screwed, too late to find a replacement that I trust, and cannot take my son with me.

So, trip cancelled, along with my vote, which was the reason for the trip. Very important issue I'm voting on, and can't proxy at this late date.

Makes me so angry.

Don't they see I'm a single Dad trying to manage on my own?

Who's parents??? I am very sorry, that really stinks. People are pretty thoughtless sometimes.

Don't they realize that when they view their commitments to a person as unimportant, that people will begin to do the same? When you have a friend that always flakes on you, you also have a tendency to view their word as always tentative, so if other things come up its no biggie to just bail on them as well. Kind of an "eh, they always do it to me" type attitude.

This is part of being a single parent. I have had it happen to me, and it will probably happen again for you. You can't change it, it's part of the package. I understand how angry you are. Hint: Next time arrange for a professional service that is licensed and trusted. They never let you down.

And again! Another parent I saw this morning asked why I was there, wasn't I going away? I explained that "things fell through", didn't want to mention names or assign guilt.

So she tells me my son is welcome to do an overnight tonight with her son....I said great...let me know!

6:30 PM, no answer at their house, or cell phone.

What is going on? Does everyone become so self absorbed/clueless to the fact that if you say you will do something, you are supposed to act upon it?

Luckily, I didn't mention it to my son....

I think sometimes people just say thoes things to look polite only, with NO intention of doing anything.

Exactly. But to my way of thinking, if you offer, you should follow through. You've involved someone elses plans in doing so, and to not follow through screws them up.

That really sucks. Like you, I'm the kind of person who believes in following through, so it makes it hard when you expect other people to do the same and they don't.

If it were me, I think I would mention something to the people who backed out, just to let them know how it impacted you. You don't want to be rude or accusatory, but just let them know how you feel. They may not realize how it is to be a single dad or how much was riding on their watching your kid. You could say something like "I know things come up, but I was really disappointed that you had to back out. It was really important to me to vote, and unfortunately, I had to cancel my trip."

And then in the future, try to have a back-up plan just in case!

Feeling like a failure, mum? This i...
Feeling like a failure, mum? This is what you need to hear

Archived