Frustrating

Dreamlover

In February I met this guy who I really like. He's attractive, sweet, smart, and best of all, he can make me laugh no matter what mood I'm in. He also happens to be older (24), but I've always been attracted to older guys. Unlike most, though, he treats me with respect and not at all like a kid. Which is how everyone else seems to want to treat me. Mainly my dad.

I saw him a lot during the summer. For lack of a better word, we were dating. It was mutual and in no way were either of us moving too fast. There were no expectations; we were just having a good time together and what is wrong with that? We have so much in common that getting along just comes natural. The story is going great and I hoped it would not just continue, but move forward.

I've been upfront and honest with my parents about it. How I feel about him, what we do, and what I would like to see happen. I thought that showed maturity and trust, but all I get back from them is how he's a 'jerk' and I'm more or less a kid who doesn't know better. Is that what I get for being honest? I can no longer seem him or talk to him at all. We write/text each other, but that's about it. My phone; which I paid for and pay monthly on, they took from me. It's crap.

He's been nothing but a gentleman. He's protective of me and doesn't want to see me get hurt. By him or anyone else. He's truly a sweet guy. My parents won't even give him a chance. Are they right? Am I just foolish? Any opinions/advice would be wonderful. I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick and maybe I'm not. I don't know.

~Renee

Ultimatly while you live in your parents house then can force you to abide by their rules. They are trying to protect you and I can't say I blame them, what with the media and such they are probably afraid he is going to take advantage of you and then leave.

You say you've been open with your parents, how did they react? Did they ban you from seeing him altogether? Have you sat down and discussed it with them in a calm situation?

Like guys my age wouldn't be after the same thing? I've probably pursued 'that' more than him and yet nothing has happened. He's very respectful.

My parents flipped when I told them. I was honest about it all and yet I know they assume I'm hiding some thing. I'm not. They banned me from seeing/talking to him without ever even meeting him. I understand them being protective, but you don't have to suffocate someone.

They are just looking out for you. These days the world has gone down hill. It is stereotyped, what would a 24 year old want with a 17 year old? Why can't he date someone closer to his age etc.? That is what your parents think, they don't think he would want a relationship with you, they think he may only distract you from school, or just want to sleep with you.

Thank you, Redhearts. I do understand that, I just wish they'd take a moment to get to know him. If they did, I think things would be different. Well, as long as they approached it with an open mind - not going to happen.

He actually keeps me focused on school. He's working on a dance minor (which is why we get along so well - also how we met) and that's what I want to do. So he encourages me. I can't say he's 100% harmless, but you can't really say that about anyone. I trust him. I just wish my parents trusted me more. That's what's frustrating.

](*,)

It's not the lack of trust in the other person that burns me. It's the lack of trust in me even though I'm open and honest with them. Taking my phone away and banning me from talking to or seeing him? Why be honest and upfront with them at all? They only return the favor by treating me like I'm two. My birthday is in December and I wonder if two lousy months really makes that much of a difference.

• 1 month later...

I undestand how you feel. I LOVE older men. I like one who's 12 years older than me (19 and 31) and I have to hide it from my parents. Good luck to you girl. Just remember, a driver's liscence can be a girl's best friend when she's in love. If you don't have it now, work on getting it as soon as possible.

Archived