I'm fed up with my dad and his crap...

LittleInuit

So, yeah, my dad is legally blind, not totally blind, but legally blind, which means that it is hard for him to read and he can't drive. Well, me and my mom and my brother have offered to drive him to work. He has been out of work for about six years now. All he does anymore is feel sorry for himself and say all these things that he can't do. There are plenty of people that are worse off than him doing things. My paw paw is completely blind, and he still walks around the neighborhood everyday, and he does a lot at my church. My dad on the other hand does nothing but sit at home watching tv or on the computer. He says I don't spend enough time at home, so when I do, he has nothing to do with me. He doesn't even care that my mom has a full time job and a part time job and I have two part time jobs. He just thinks its good that we bring money in the house. Then, when we don't have any money, he yells at us about us spending it on ourselves. Let me tell you, I can't even remember the last time I bought myself something. I'm fed up with it. I have no social life because all i do is go to highschool and then work!!! He also makes a big deal if I don't clean the house right after I get home instead of doing my home work. I can barely handle school right now. Any ideas for me to get him to work? And where is a place that would hire a disabled person?

I've tried and he just blows up on me saying how he can't do everything (which he does nothing) and then I ended up punished. And my mom has tried to talk to him, it hasn't worked. He just says something about him moving out then he leaves for a couple hours and comes back. We sent him to therapy for many reasons, and the psychologist actually kicked him out because he wouldn't do anything that she told him to do.

I'm 17 so once I graduate I'm going off to college. I just don't want my mom to have to kill herself with work. She already works so much. But hopefully after I get out of college I'll be able to save some money for her. I just get tired of my dad telling everyone what they should do, and him do nothing. If it wasn't for my boyfriend I don't know where I would be, so I do have some support.

I am glad you have some support. Unfortunately we can not save our parents from their own actions. I know really, my mom was the same. It is totally her choice what she does though. It does not stop us from worrying I know. You need to have your own life though, so go out and get it, and when you can do something nice for your mom.

when did your dad become legally blind? is this recent? sounds like he is angry over his condition.

i know people who are 100% blind who work very difficult jobs, who exercise everyday, go to church, clean, etc.... I even have a blind friend who helped me move! he insisted on helping me move boxes, and he did an amazing job.

anyways, i agree that your mom needs to talk to him. there is no reason your dad can't get a job either.

Archived