Just found out I have genital warts....

froggyday

Just found out from my Dr. that I have genital warts. From what I've read it sounds like lots of people get these, but it still freaks me out. The Dr. said my husband would already have them, so are there any other precautions I need to take? What does this mean and does anyone have any advice on these?

I think they never will completely go away (they may recur throughout your life), from what I've read, but they can be frozen off. My understanding is they are similar to other types of warts that can be found on other body parts (you know how some people have warts on their hands etc.). Don't quote me on this, but I think the viruses are in the same general family.

Any idea how you got them? Did you have them before you were married? I'm hoping there is no cheating issue involved here, either on your part or on your husband's part.

The virus that causes warts is HPV and 75% of people in America have one strain of HPV or another. While there is no 'cure' for warts, your body can knock it into remission. Several years ago I got warts and of course was found to have HPV, had abnormal paps for a couple years, now I don't get any warts and I test normal for my pap smear. Effectively they are gone, and my understanding is I don't have any reason to expect them to reoccur.

I hope not, b/c getting them and having them removed is painful and traumatic.

As freaky as it seems, know you are not alone!

How long have you and your hubby been together? Have you ever had an abnormal pap before?

It could have lived in your system for years and it is just emerging now. It is not curable, it is something that you will just have to live with. There are over 100 HPV viruses, but something like 4 or so cause warts. Most people have some form of HPV by the time they reach middle age and they do not even know it.

Well I've been married to my husband for 7 years, however there was once when I did catch him cheating last January. So my guess is that's where it came from. I decided to stick it out so I am still with him. I'm guessing that I picked it up around February and it didn't show up until now?

when I did catch him cheating last January. So my guess is that's where it came from. I decided to stick it out so I am still with him. I'm guessing that I picked it up around February and it didn't show up until now?

Gosh, I'm really sorry to hear that. I don't know if I could stay with someone who cheated on me and gave me an STD. I know it's not something that you can avoid even with the use of a condom, but I would hope that a person who supposedly loved me would not be so selfish as to put me in that kind of position and give me a permanent infection (sure, it can stop showing symptoms, but my understanding is it's never completely gone from your system).

I am pretty appalled that he didn't even bother to get tested (I'm guessing because you would have probably known by now if he had) and that you are only now finding out about the STD...TEN months after the cheating was revealed?

Well I've been married to my husband for 7 years, however there was once when I did catch him cheating last January. So my guess is that's where it came from. I decided to stick it out so I am still with him. I'm guessing that I picked it up around February and it didn't show up until now?

It can take years to show up in some cases, but usually they appear in 8 months to a year.

I Have Feelings For Someone Else Wh...
I Have Feelings For Someone Else While In a Relationship

Archived