This may be a silly topic: I have a cockroach phobia!

SweetJade

OMG I just have to say that I hate cockroaches, they really freak me out!! Lately I've been getting them in my house which is odd because I normally don't have roaches. It's not a lot but I see one occasionally like once a week like in the kitchen or the bathroom. When I see them I start getting very nauseous,paranoid and itchy and I start falling into a panic attack. This may sound funny to some but I really want to overcome my fear of them. Last night I went in my bathroom and to take a shower & I looked at the shower curtain and there was a roach. I screamed and ran downstairs in my living room and camped out there for the rest of the night. I have not gone upstairs since last night and the water is still running LMAO... That's how scared I am of them... but the fear is too much because I find myself to not function constantly worry if I'm going to run into that same cochroach later on. It's really making me uneasy. Does anyone know how I can overcome my fear of them??

I wish I could be of more help.

I think it is normal to have a fear of certain not-so-cute creatures that run and catch you off guard. The ones that bother me the most are: link removed

Those centipedes can send me on to a table top, screaming. I would take a roach over them any day, I have yet to overcome the phobia.

I would probably do the same thing you did if I saw one in the shower.

I think for now- focus on the crisis at hand: Getting rid of the roaches, rather than getting used to them.

link removed

i do the same thing as you. if i see one in one room i wont go in there for like 2 days. i think i just slowly learned to deal with it and i DO feel A LOT better if i kill them or suck them up with a vacuum extension or something. i normally keep bug spray around and try to get them with that and then i throw an old tennis racket on it so it cant run around while dying. after it dies (it can never figure out how to climbup through the holes, but it IS strong enough to lift the racquet a little! it cant lift it and go out at the same time though so dont worry lol) theni vacuum it up and go meditate to bring my heart rate back to normal. lol jk about the last part.

I think it is normal to have a fear of certain not-so-cute creatures that run and catch you off guard. The ones that bother me the most are: link removed

Those centipedes can send me on to a table top, screaming. I have yet to overcome the phobia.

I think for now- focus on the crisis at hand: Getting rid of the roaches, rather than getting used to them.

Bella! You had to post a picture didn't you! I thought of you the other morning. We seen two of the darn things in the same morning.

And of course, I am the bug killer most the time. I confess - sometimes I will catch a bug in a bag and take it outside. But these centipedes... I've had enough of them. I can't stand em and they are too fast to catch!

Wow, and I thought I was scared of them.

Do you live in an apartment? Sometimes you can get roaches from dirty neighbors.

I guess you just have to remember that cockroaches are pretty harmless. Well, they are harmful in a way because of all the germs and bacteria that are on them. But they won't attack you or anything.

Wow, and I thought I was scared of them.

Do you live in an apartment? Sometimes you can get roaches from dirty neighbors.

I guess you just have to remember that cockroaches are pretty harmless. Well, they are harmful in a way because of all the germs and bacteria that are on them. But they won't attack you or anything.

I know they don't bite but they're just so slimy and freaky looking with their little wiggly antennas (shivers).

But.. really... isn't it true that if there's one cockroach there are many?

LOL.. please don't say that I'm already freaking out already...

Do you live in apartments? Have you had your home sprayed by an exterminator?

I live in a home with my folks but my family went away for the week so I'm here by myself. My mom said she will call one soon. It's not a real bad roach problem.. I may see one like once or twice a week. I don't understand.. I keep a pretty clean house so I don't understand why their here...

oh, me too. I found 3 of them last week in my kitchen.

and it's not even that hot anymore

I got used on them in the extent I come 2 meters close when I see one and I vacuum him. yuck. than my bf needs to empty the vacuum cleaner - which I leave on balcony until he comes out of fear they might still be alive inside and able to crawl out. Vacuuming is traumatic too because they try to run away and damn they are fast.

I have those nice huge black roaches. So big that you can see their feet.

They come in clean apartments/houses too.

Especially if you're living close to the ground.

I sealed all the possible entrances - but I can't seal my door lol There is always a hole big enough for them to slide in.

Be careful that they don't leave little roaches in the house.

Today I am freaked out because I was on a trip for 3 days and came home this afternoon so I worry they got in while I wasn't here.

How I managed to vacuum them? Well i live alone so I had no choice - in the middle of the night finding one was horrible but even worse was getting back to bed without killing him.

I live in a small apartment 40 m2 - so my bedroom door are right next to the kitchen door.

Those centipedes can send me on to a table top, screaming. I would take a roach over them any day, I have yet to overcome the phobia.

Wow I am totally not scared of centipedes... funny!

They can spread disease and they are not a laughing matter. I have had friends who had them and the little critters started crawling into their bed. If you see one, you have many. Call an exterminator.

LOL please stop saying that if I have one .. then I have many.. that's really unsettling to me LOL seriously..

Bella! You had to post a picture didn't you! I thought of you the other morning. We seen two of the darn things in the same morning.

And of course, I am the bug killer most the time. I confess - sometimes I will catch a bug in a bag and take it outside. But these centipedes... I've had enough of them. I can't stand em and they are too fast to catch!

I've been one to let bugs outside too- but not those evil things.

If I saw 2 in one day I think I'd have to move out.

So I can totally understand a bug phobia.

LOL please stop saying that if I have one .. then I have many.. that's really unsettling to me LOL seriously..

Seriously,, This is not a laughing matter....They are disgusting...They carry salmonella and tons of other diseases to your food. They can get into your bed and even your ear canal. They get into ANY opened food container, cereal, cookies, crackers and leave their dropping in your food then you eat that. My mother in law had them, they were disgusting...They multiply like crazy. You can have hundreds of thousands of them in a mtter of months...I went online to link removed and ordered MAXFORCE FC roach bait gel and sent it to her.. You put it in cracks and crevices and it kills them over a couple weeks....It worked

^^ You have snakes around? My kids would love that! I used to be afraid of spiders. Til I learned somebody has to take care of em!

Yeah, Bella! I was a little unsettled when I seen those 2 in one morning. My kids are very frightened of those little ugly things too! Haven't seen another since...

I would advise that ya sleep with the lights on to be honest. Sorry but I can't help suggesting this.

It might help to leave the lights in the kitchen or bathroom.

But, when they are poisoned they get little dizzy and walk without fear on light too, in the period before the poison really gets them.

Before I go to bed I keep all the lights at my place open - if I don't see one it's like not having them. lol One of the reasons while I have those saving bulbs.

Oh and it's smart to spray infront your door with that roaches killing foam - I use raid.

^^ You poor Girl!

I was just talking to my sister about bugs yesterday. When we were little, we lived in an apartment community at a college. We got them a couple times. But got rid of them quickly. However, another lady who lived accross the street.... she had a bazillion. My mom and dad went and bombed a few times while she was out of town.

yuck I need to stop participating on this thread - after posting my previous post I had to spray Raid in front my apartment and balcony door, behind my fridge and wash machine just to calm down - now I have a feeling my body itches me - jeez I need a shower again.

To OP - that water bill is gonna be huge. By now he's not in your bathroom so go there and close the water. But first open the lights, close the bathroom door and wait for 10 minutes. Than you can enter and close the water.

^^ You have snakes around? My kids would love that! I used to be afraid of spiders. Til I learned somebody has to take care of em!

Yeah, Bella! I was a little unsettled when I seen those 2 in one morning. My kids are very frightened of those little ugly things too! Haven't seen another since...

No we dont....I cant have a pet snake...That is out of question though it has been suggested many times and I had to veto it.

Archived