similar personalities = greater chance?

tom1607307597

If let's say you're a nerdy kind of person, does it help to go people who are also nerdy/geeky too? I got a feeling I know what the answer is but for discussion sake I wanted to ask.

What really inspired this question is the last 2 girls I was trying to ask out both seemed to be nerds, I actually find that trait attractive for some reason. They both wore glasses too. Anyway I never even got to a first date with either of them, why I will never find out. For some reason though I thought that I stood a better chance since one was a pre-med major and the other was some kind of math or science major. I guess having similar personalities doesn't equal higher chance of dating someone?

just being nerds doesn't mean you have similar personality-- there are many different kinds of nerds-- different subjects as well as different styles and lifestyle balances. I don't think similar personality is a requirement or has a higher chance necessarily-- but if you are too different in some core areas that you value than you will have no chance of being successful-- like me dating an anal-retentive guy-- that's not going to fly cause I'm not at all.

BUT, I'm very talkative, and I prefer to date talkative people so ... in that sense it works well. It's complicated-- I'm a nerd, but I only like certain kinds of nerds-- the cool ones that aren't only book smart but also life smart.

i dont feel it equals a higher chances of DATING the person. you may end up getting friend zoned if the attraction isn't there but the personalities are similar.

also, alot of times i went for my complete opposites. specially in my younger years. now that i'm 22 i try to go for guys with similar personalities and goals.

for relationships: i feel they have a better chance of lasting when you have similar interests/personalities.

I think it's going to depend on what the other person is attracted to. You stand a better chance getting a date with someone who is attracted to you, regardless of whether your personalities are similar, and you can't know that really until you ask! I don't think you should base who you ask out on who is necessarily going to like you, because you can't know that. Base it on who YOU like, as you are already doing, and eventually you will find someone who reciprocates Don't lose heart over two girls, there will be many more.

If you argue about whether Star Trek II was the best Star Trek, this is good.

If you argue about whether it's okay for a grown man to be wasting his time on ridiculous things like science fiction, this is bad.

LOL. Very good response!

I think for the most part personalities have to MESH, not necessarliy be SIMILAR. To be honest very similar personalities can often CLASH. Case in point, two very aggressive people can pummel each other at times, where an aggressive person with a passive person might be able to find a perfect balance. Two passive people might get bored because neither of them ever want to take the reigns. Just a few examples...but this doesn't mean two passives or two aggressives can never work out ...they can if their personalities are also one of compromise.

My current SO and i have compatible personalities that do not clash. My last one - we did not. Our personalities worked against each other all the time.

Can two people who are very much into athletic things necessarily hit it off? Of course not...same with two "nerds". There is a whole world of "nerds" out there and that doesn't mean all of them are meant to be together. Nerds, like athletic people or anyone else have varying personalities and characters, likes and dislikes. So don't look at the nerd factor per se when making a choice on who to date...look at the whole person.

there might be a playboy model out there that is very intellectual and into the things you like. you might meet some day and just click like no other.

You never know, it could happen lol. But at least I'm glad I learned something out of this, for a while it was driving me nuts thinking of all the different reasons my chances with those 2 went south.

Do you have a bubbly personality?
Do you have a bubbly personality?

Archived