Why do some old high school friends reject you on facebook?

SweetJade

This may sound like a very petty and pointless topic & it maybe one, but I set up a facebook account. From there I started adding a lot of people I went to high school with on there and even though a lot accepted & we've been talking on facebook. I see a lot have also declined my invitations which sorta makes me feel bad. Why did some of them do that?? Is it because they didn't really like me in school or what? I know with some I wasn't that acquainted with but still.. Maybe I'm making something out of nothing. It just makes me feel bad that a lot of people I thought were cool with back in the day rejected me..

how can you tell if someone rejects you? does it notify you?

because if someone doesn't accept my request i'd just assume they haven't seen it yet.

if it's obvious that they rejected you, who cares. obviously you weren't very close to them to begin with. they probably want to keep their page really private, like annie said.

A lot of times I get friend requests from people I barely knew in highschool who just seem to be adding anyone who looks remotely familiar to make it look like they have a lot of friends. I always accept because I don't really care, but some people like to keep their facebook friends limited to people who are their actual friends in real life.

how can you tell if someone rejects you? does it notify you?

because if someone doesn't accept my request i'd just assume they haven't seen it yet.

if it's obvious that they rejected you, who cares. obviously you weren't very close to them to begin with. they probably want to keep their page really private, like annie said.

You can tell they rejected you by looking at their profile and it asks you to add them as friend again. I know it sounds petty but some of them I was really tight with back in the day and I was expecting to catch up with some & it bothered me that they would reject me. I guess you are right though.. it's nothing to really lose sleep over. People do change and it's time to move on I suppose..

yeah i'd like to know this too. if i ignore someone's request, would they know?

You can tell by looking at the person's profile that you try to add and instead of friend requested.. it just say add as friend again.. You'll know they have rejected you that way.

A lot of times I get friend requests from people I barely knew in highschool who just seem to be adding anyone who looks remotely familiar to make it look like they have a lot of friends. Some people like to keep their facebook friends limited to people who are their actual friends in real life.

This is soo true! I always reject people from school who might have sat in one of my classes but who I never spoke to, not because I don't like them, I dont KNOW them! I think to myself, its not a popularity contest and I have no intention of adding a load of friends who I don't bother with.

I put lots of pictures on my Facebook account, its set to private and I uploaded my scan pictures when I got pregnant.. I wouldnt want just anyone seeing them, its for my friends only.

Don't take it to heart, they aren't rejecting you for any other reason than they just dont want 'friends' for the sake of having 'friends'.

I only have about 15 people from school on my friends list and most of them are still my closest friends now.

I decline anyone who tries to add me who isn't my current friend. I have about 80 people on my list. When i first got facebook I had 400+ but realized that was dumb. If old friends want to contact me and rekindle an old friendship they can call me, THEN I will add them to facebook.

Some people prefer a smaller list. IF you have been out of highschool past five years then it is not all that crazy to think these people don't want to put every person they ever knew in their firends list. I mean after all, the list is a "friends" list and that means some people seriously only put their friends on it.

I don't have an account but wouldn't want to add every person who knew me from high school on it.

Yeah, I only add people on Facebook who I have a current relationship with, and who I wouldn't mind seeing my photos and whatnot. However I did get some flack a couple of months ago from some over-sensitive people who felt rejected, so I now use a very handy tool - the friends list tool - to create an "acquaintance" list where I can add anyone that I wouldn't normally add but who might feel rejected (say because I added all their other friends). Then I set privacy setting for the list so that they can see my basic profile info, but not the photos, my comments, my phone number, or anything else, and that keeps everyone happy

I wouldn't worry about it though, they might just be private people - Now if you actually call or email them and they say "go away I hate you" - then that's a rejection I wouldn't blame you for feeling badly about ;-)

hugs

I will say that with professional networking sites it's different. I have a linkedin account and i add and accept invites from anyone i ever came in contact with in the business world because it's a powerful way to network. My personal life, however, if i did have myspace or facebook the friends list would be reserved for close current friends/family.

Right. I can't believe how much people can get worked up over myspace and facebook. One of the reasons i dont have an account. No desire for it.

same reason i dont. i dont want some company judging me based on my facebook account. all this technology is killing our security and authentic communication skills.

I personally like facebook because it allows me to keep in touch with friends spread out all over the world, just like email when it first started. A lot of my friends don't use email anymore and only send messages via facebook. But I only add and request friends that I actually know well and want to be in touch with. An old close friend from elementary school added me and it's been great to reconnect.

I'm one of the people that prefer a smaller, more private list. I have photos and comments that I only want my real friends to see. So if I don't accept someone's friend request it's because I don't really know them or we haven't been in touch in a long time and I don't think they sincerely want to get back in touch with me.

So I wouldn't take it personally if you're rejected. If you weren't really good friends in high school, it shouldn't matter if you're not facebook friends.

I guess you right and it doesn't matter if they reject you. I was overly moody and sensitive yesterday because a couple of people rejected me. LOL so what?? But I do like facebook it's a way to keep in touch with people I lost contact with since high school.

5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – ...
5 Signs of A Strong Friendship – Spotting A True Friend

Archived