At a cross road...career wise

Sean

Ok, so I am a graduate student at a school, studying to get my masters in Occupational Therapy. It's a great field, that pays well ($50,000 is starting salary), good health coverage, and you can get this job anywhere in the world. However, I don't know if it's the job for me. It requires you to be an extroverted person, to always have a smile on your face and congratulate your patient on the smallest of successes. I'm sorry, but I am not that person. 1. I am very introverted 2. I don't always have a smile on my face and I don't do the whole fake smile thing, and 3. I can't do the whole fake "oh so proud of you" thing either. If you can't tell by now, I am a cynic.

However, what other options do I have? My choices are either finish OT school, go to a job that I'll hate....but I can do, or drop out, and struggle to find a job because well, our economy sucks right now. I have a Bachelor of Arts degree, which as I have found out, is worth alittle bit less than toilet paper. No one is impressed that you have a B.A. as your undergrad degree.

I know I keep hearing about all the wonderful things you can do with a B.A. but honestly, I'm not seeing any of it. I've tried to get hire with a B.A. but no luck, I'm either overqualified or underqualified.

Things I am passionate about and that I think I can turn into a career is aviation and writing. I've thought about seeing if I could be a journalist, but I think someone with a degree in journalism would get hired over me.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't write off Occupational Therapy so quick. Personally if I needed OT, I would rather have a more low-key Occupational Therapist than someone I thought was being fake. You can be supportive and a good therapist without overdoing it. And if the majority of your work is one on one with a patient that seems to fit the bill of an introverted person if you develop personal relatinships with your patients.

Don't write off OT just yet.

Have you been out into the various settings, experiencing the different job settings?

Don't rule it out.

I worked 1.5 years in a hospital setting, in the therapy department, and not everyone was a happy go lucky, extrovert people person. I am not a happy go lucky extrovert person and I was running recreation classes with 5-10 patients with physical disabilities and holding down court pretty well. My bonds and interaction with patients worked, I brought a quiet timid presense to the team, and was often approached y many patients who felt intimadated by the loud, outspoken extroverted therapist.

And the OT's weren't all rainbow and butterfly people. In fact there was one whom I never saw smile the entire time I was there. She was great at her job, she got * * * * done, and that what her position and role within the team.

You do have to have some sort of interest or passion to work with people. To make a difference, its VERY rewarding..but don't rule it out because you think you need to be a certain type of personality.

I'd say get out there and volunteer and put yourself in the places, if you haven't already.

Archived