Why do I even bother aksing for help @ school

glegend

When I don't get any. I asked my teacher for help on my final project for shop class. I did as much work as possible, but I got stuck at one part and I asked him for help.

Instead of getting help I get this lecture on how far behind the rest of the students I am and that I need to be working at a much faster speed and I have to stay till the end of each day, I dont know where the end of class bit came from because I stay till the end of class every day.

After he finishes giving me his lecture he gives me a 30 second break down of what I have to do and he walks away while I am asking him more questions.

Like I don't know what the point on even asking for help if I can't get any. I don't see the point on paying thousands of dollars if its going to go down the drain. I don't see why that lecture was necessary. I don't know why I even bother asking for help.

I don't know what to do anymore. Just continue on my project without asking for any help and take the risk of getting a bad grade, and be like w/e.

Glegend

I hate teachers like that...Rather people like that. You ask them something and they just go on this huge rant about something irrelevant and totally neglect answering your question. Its like they think you don't care when clearly you do because you're asking questions.

Can you email him or talk to him after class or call him?

Some people just shouldn't be teachers. They don't have the patience for it.

I can see his point of view if you are way behind your class mates, however, as a teacher he should realize that not all of us learn at the same pace. Some of us just need a little bit more time and patience.

You can try emailing your teacher as the other poster suggested. However, be certain to watch your tone in the email. And ask for specific

input on your project.

Also, have you tried asking someone else in class? Sometimes I found it easier to understand my co-student (is that a word? lol) better than the teacher. Maybe it's in the delivery that the communication is getting garbled. I found other students were able to break it down for me easier in LAYMAN's terms, so I can understand.

NO... don't just finish your project on your own and accept a bad grade. You didn't learn anything then. There are no DUMB questions... There are only STUPID answers. The whole point of an education is not to KNOW IT ALL... but to KNOW where to obtain and gather information.

So..... exhaust all your sources. Ask the teacher again. When he seem's less harried/more patient and has more time. And/or... ask other students in the class. You'll feel better having done all of this.. and then completing your project. At least you'll know you've tried everything in your control to do the best job you could.

so since you only dont know where the 'end of the class' bit came from, is the rest of it true? that youre way behind everyone else in the class? because if its true hes probably frustrated since you waited so long to ask for help (this is the final project so im assuming class is almost over?) . some professors are just like this, they are there all semester and then they get students coming in at the end saying they dont get 70% of whats been going on for the past weeks or months - so they get frustrated and impatient.

i would just try to come in again with very very specific questions on what to do and try to get some help out of him at another time. be sure to have improved from when you last went in for help though, at least get a few of your questions answered/figured out by yourself or from friends/colleagues

Are other students putting in time outside of class hours? That could be why you're behind. I know for my studio class, I spent an additional twenty hours per WEEK outside of class working.

Also, why not ask someone in the class? Sometimes, I feel like I've asked one too many questions for the day and don't want to bother the prof (even though she's wonderful) so turning to my classmates is the next best thing.

There are good teachers and bad teachers. That's just part of life and the educational process. You will now learn how to deal with bad teachers.

"Struggle on" I say and to heck with this guy. Show him you don't need his lectures. Success (or at least lack of failure) is the biggest "FU" you can give this guy.

edit" baby cairo has a good idea of asking on of your buddies in class.

Can you email him or talk to him after class or call him?

I could probably talk to him after class, I dont have his email. I don't know how long after class he will stay, like he always says I'm gonna be here until "this time", and the time he usually says is the time the class ends at.

Also, have you tried asking someone else in class? Sometimes I found it easier to understand my co-student (is that a word? lol) better than the teacher. Maybe it's in the delivery that the communication is getting garbled. I found other students were able to break it down for me easier in LAYMAN's terms, so I can understand.

I've asked a few students, and one of them was able to help me out. The rest of them have done the part I am at but they aren't too sure that its all done right so they are a bit skeptical to tell me how to do it just in case they have done it wrong. Basically they tell me what to do but to check with the teacher.

so since you only dont know where the 'end of the class' bit came from, is the rest of it true? that youre way behind everyone else in the class? because if its true hes probably frustrated since you waited so long to ask for help (this is the final project so im assuming class is almost over?) . some professors are just like this, they are there all semester and then they get students coming in at the end saying they dont get 70% of whats been going on for the past weeks or months - so they get frustrated and impatient.

I admit that I am a little behind the rest of the students. But I'm not the only one. Some students are almost 80% done the assignment. I'm around 55% complete (approximately), while others are between 55%-65%. This is the final assignment and the class is almost done, the 16th is the last day. But if I were to have gotten the help that I needed today in class I could of done another 15% worth of work and be up to 70% completion.

I don't why he thinks I boost class when every shop class we do a clean up. We start our clean up thirty minutes before the end of class and once we are done cleaning up her dismisses us. My three profs for that class do the same thing.

Are other students putting in time outside of class hours? That could be why you're behind. I know for my studio class, I spent an additional twenty hours per WEEK outside of class working.

Also, why not ask someone in the class? Sometimes, I feel like I've asked one too many questions for the day and don't want to bother the prof (even though she's wonderful) so turning to my classmates is the next best thing.

No one puts out of class hours. During the last assignment one student did, and I dont know how he did cause when I asked I was told no.

I don't like asking people in my class that much because I feel that I'm like harassing them. I do ask people in my class. But when your teachers tell you "ask me and I will help, instead of bugging your classmates", you choose to ask them.

No one puts out of class hours. During the last assignment one student did, and I dont know how he did cause when I asked I was told no.

I don't like asking people in my class that much because I feel that I'm like harassing them. I do ask people in my class. But when your teachers tell you "ask me and I will help, instead of bugging your classmates", you choose to ask them.

Just because NO ONE else puts out of class hours doesn't mean that you shouldn't.

Asking questions is not harassing. Thats how we learn by ASKING questions. And if your teachers is such a booger to refuse to help you because you talk to your classmates...then can you ask your class mates questions OUT of the class room setting?

Also... are there other resources you might utilize. The internet? How to books? other people in the industry who might be able to answer your questions?

I admit that I am a little behind the rest of the students. But I'm not the only one. Some students are almost 80% done the assignment. I'm around 55% complete (approximately), while others are between 55%-65%. This is the final assignment and the class is almost done, the 16th is the last day. But if I were to have gotten the help that I needed today in class I could of done another 15% worth of work and be up to 70% completion.

unfortunately if youre only half way done on a big project and its due on the 16th of course he is going to be frustrated when you ask him for help when your this behind and its this late in the game. the only thing you can do now is try to ask again for help AND ask your other classmates that are ahead of you in the project. if you want to do good on the assignment, then ask your peers and anyone who could help you for help. it looks like youre not doing 'everything' you can, because you havent asked your classmates for help yet, which is a pretty obvious option in this case.

Yeah I'm half way done this project, but thats cause I'm pretty much stuck and need some help/advice/tips whatever you want to call it to be able to give me that extra push to get to a much higher percentage of completion.

Basically, I need one of my questions answered. Which is the question that I asked today. If I get it answered, I can do so much work, which would bring me up to pretty much where the rest of the class is at.

The thing is, it was very out of line for my teacher to say that when there are others that are pretty much where I am at. So why am I getting BS when they aren't.

It just seems to me that I am not entitled to receive any help what so ever from teachers but others are. Even when I asked a few classmates today, they didn't seem to be sure of what they had done.

unfortunately if youre only half way done on a big project and its due on the 16th of course he is going to be frustrated when you ask him for help when your this behind and its this late in the game. the only thing you can do now is try to ask again for help AND ask your other classmates that are ahead of you in the project. if you want to do good on the assignment, then ask your peers and anyone who could help you for help. it looks like youre not doing 'everything' you can, because you havent asked your classmates for help yet, which is a pretty obvious option in this case.

Agreed.

Glegend I assume this isn't highschool. Once you get out of highschool and are paying for education or training the teachers expect that the student will go above and beyond to ensure they are grasping the material and put in the required time. yes, I am sure he was frustrated that you waited that long to ak for help. You also can look for other resources to help you if you get stuck. I know you are frustrated but I agree with fragmint in that I am not sure you are doing everything you can to get up to speed on the assignments. It is easy to wait until the last minute and panic and then complain about not getting it. It is harder to proactively get the help you need far before the deadline, but since you are in the real world that is exactly what you need to do.

Bottomline is the professor is not going to benefit from your training. You will. It is your education and you have to do the due diligence to ensure you are grasping the material. Teachers often are much more patient and take mroe time with the students that they can tell are putting in the effort. he probably is thinking you wanted to wait til the last minute to get bailed out and that is why he gave you the curt treatment.

I say this not only because of this thread, but many threads of yours in the past I have noticed a very common theme of "i am a victim to the world around me" both in your jobs and schooling.

I think you are making a lot of assumptions about what kind of assistance or treatment other students are getting. Concentrate on YOU and your work, not where they are or what he is telling them. I'd be willing to be that any student he feels waited until the last minute gets the same feedback that you are getting. You are making some assumptions Glegend. The type of assistance another student is getting is confidential so you can't say you know exactly what is going on. You can't even go on just whaat the other students tell you because everyone is not always truthful on these things. Only each person knows for sure what is going on in their world. So concentrate on your world and no one else's.

I'm not making assumptions about the type of help that others are getting. When I'm right next to my classmates and teacher when they are getting help, and I see them getting the help.

Yesterday and today was a bit better. I got help when I asked for it, but the time I asked for help yesterday I got the lecture again. Today the help was given to me, not the way that I would of liked to have gotten but in the end I got it. I did get into trouble for breaking a machine that I didn't really use, I used it for about 30 seconds and stopped using It cause I didn't like the way it was working so I ended up using a different machine. Go figure that one out, I can't.

Archived