Is this happening to you

dillydilly

I dont have kids currently but I was planning to with my partner. He assure me that he is planning to become a JW religion in the near future. However I am catholic and I dont plan on becoming JW. How would this effect the children if he wants his kids to practice his beliefs and I don't. How does this effect the family?

*****he told me that - that is what he wanted, his children to become JW, even though that is something i dont want or practice. It will create limitation with me and my child. Since my side of the familly are catholic

i dont know anything about religion... but i do know that you and your partner need to agree on this subject, whatever that agreement may be.

its no different than agreeing on how to raise your kids, how to handle your finances, and such.

failing to have an agreement on how/what religion your children will be brought up to follow is grounds for some big fights bw you and your partner!

I dont have kids currently but I was planning to with my partner. He assure me that he is planning to become a JW religion in the near future. However I am catholic and I dont plan on becoming JW. How would this effect the children if he wants his kids to practice his beliefs and I don't. How does this effect the family?

I don't know. You should ask him that....

Don't freak out. Maybe nothing will change, maybe a lot will change. You won't know till you really lay it all out on the table have make some decisions TOGETHER.

he told me that - that is what he wanted, his children to become JW, even though that is something i dont want. It will create limitation with me and my child. Since my side of the familly are catholic.

Did you tell him that that isn't something you want?

You could teach your children both religions and then let them decide once they are older what they want.

Did you tell him that that isn't something you want?

You could teach your children both religions and then let them decide once they are older what they want.

Yea but they are so drastically different...what would be the basis of judgement when decisions needed to be made?

(not hijacking...I swear, just asking)

Yea but they are so drastically different...what would be the basis of judgement when decisions needed to be made?

(not hijacking...I swear, just asking)

That's really for the kids to decide.

I don't believe religion should be forced on children. I've seen the harm that can be done when children have things forced on them. And, religion is a heavy subject.

If parents want to bring up their children religiously, that's great. However, if the child rejects religion once puberty hits or possibly chooses to follow another (which happens quite often), then the parents should back off, IMHO.

IMO, you should not have children if you both can't agree on what faith to follow as a couple: yet alone, what your children may potentially follow. This is why it's so important that any religion based couple has to be "EQUALLY YOKED". I suggest you both seek religious counceling in order to get a solid foundation on what you're going to preach to any future offspring.

IMO, you should not have children if you both can't agree on what faith to follow as a couple: yet alone, what your children may potentially follow. This is why it's so important that any religion based couple has to be "EQUALLY YOKED". I suggest you both seek religious counceling in order to get a solid foundation on what you're going to preach to any future offspring.

Yeah, I agree. Get this worked out BEFORE you have children.

That's really for the kids to decide.

I don't believe religion should be forced on children. I've seen the harm that can be done when children have things forced on them. And, religion is a heavy subject.

If parents want to bring up their children religiously, that's great. However, if the child rejects religion once puberty hits or possibly chooses to follow another (which happens quite often), then the parents should back off, IMHO.

I do not feel I forced my child he enjoys his religion and he believes very much in his religion.

I do not feel I forced my child he enjoys his religion and he believes very much in his religion.

I never said said you did?

That's what I was saying. He enjoys religion, so it's fine.

However, if he didn't, that wouldn't be fine, IMO. Just as how parents shouldn't press other things.

My bf was severely scared by how religion was pressed on him. One of my friends killed himself partially because of the pressure.

It's hard to be an atheist kid whose parents force him to go to a baptist school.

I know you did not say I did.....I am saying religion is not always forced.

And, I didn't say that either....

I grew up in a non-religious family and ended up being pretty religious. Go figure.

Kids will pretty much do what they want and most likely have horrible set backs if parents restrict that too much. Give them the options, nudge them the way that you would like them to go, but, in the end, parents have to accept when the direction the child takes is a different one, and eventually stop nudging.

Archived