Metabolism suddenly slowed down...unusual?

lady00

So, I'm surprised that my metabolism suddenly slowed down this past summer. Before that, it was pretty predictable what I could eat and how it would affect my body. But now, everything has changed and it's been so sudden I'm not sure how to react. I'm trying to eat healthier foods and eat less food. I'm at a weight that I think is fine for my height and body type but I don't want to put on any more weight and I've been gaining weight since summer. This is a sudden change for me because I have never gained any significant amount of weight (more than a couple pounds) in the past.

I expected my metabolism to slow down gradually (not sure if that is naive...perhaps there was no basis for this expectation) and not all of a sudden. Not quite sure how to deal. Anyone else been through something similar lately? How are you addressing it? Thanks!

Hey lady,

Any major things changed in your life this summer? It's supposed to be a gradual process... if you think it is just getting worse and worse, you may want to have your thyroid function checked. All I know is that I had a friend who had a huge slow-down on it and it was due to her thyroid.

Other things could be change in eating habits (having a crash diet will do that, but skipping meals as well), or a sudden decrease of level of exercise (like if you got another job and you went from walking around in a store to a desk job, for instance).

To speed metabolism up, emphasize your breakfast and not what you eat at night.

I'm a guy, but I experienced a similar thing in my mid-20's. I was very active throughout, and still am, and I weathered that change well. What I felt at that time was that I could all of a sudden do with less food, and I started craving different foods - things that were more full of lean protein and/or less processed and/or more full of fiber. Overall, I'm really happy that my body made that diet switch - pizza and beer from the college days would have killed me by now

I don't know about women but with men 25 is the time when metabolism slows down the most all at once during your whole life (men's health magazine). That figure is also consistent with what I experience at 24-25. At that point I knew the easy days were over.

Mine started to slow in my later 20's then more in my 30's.

Omg.. I better get in shape NOW.

Lady00, yes it is normal for this to happen as we grow older. Usually after 25 or so it's an uphill battle lol. There's loads of women though who seem to keep in shape anyway, don't ask me how.. I hope to be one of them.

Try eating 5 x a day I guess to keep your metabolism going.

Hey lady,

Any major things changed in your life this summer? It's supposed to be a gradual process... if you think it is just getting worse and worse, you may want to have your thyroid function checked. All I know is that I had a friend who had a huge slow-down on it and it was due to her thyroid.

Other things could be change in eating habits (having a crash diet will do that, but skipping meals as well), or a sudden decrease of level of exercise (like if you got another job and you went from walking around in a store to a desk job, for instance).

To speed metabolism up, emphasize your breakfast and not what you eat at night.

Nothing changed that I know of...it was just a sudden thing, out of the blue and seems to be getting worse since the end of the summer.

I will look into the thyroid issue. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

How do you know if you have a fast or slow metabolism, and how do you know if it's slowing down?

I know because my weight has always been pretty constant and I've been slim. If anything, in the past, I've had trouble keeping my weight up to a healthy level. I have not increased my food intake or changed my activity level (pretty sedentary although I walk every day), so that is what makes me think that it has slowed down.

Yep eating smaller meals throughout the day will keep your metabolism peaked rather than spiking and diving like with three (or less) meals per day. Also eat a good, healthy balanced breakfast.

It is normal for everyone's metabolisms to slow down in their mid-late 20s. Mine hit pretty much exactly when I hit 25. Boom! BUT... my family also has thyroid issues so when I got checked out, sure enough... I had thyoid disease. Hypothyroid, which is slower than normal. I have to take a tiny pill every day in the mornings but it's no worry.

I lost a bit of weight, wasn't as depressed/mood swing-y, had a more clear memory, etc. Thyoid plays a BIG part so if you're feeling any other symptoms, get checked out. Hyperthyroid is too fast... and while it may seem to be good (high energy, no weight gain) it actually puts quite a strain on your body as well.

Good luck...

• 6 years later...

Archived