No meat and starving

SuzieQQ

High Protein-Low Carb Diet (Day 3)
High Protein-Low Carb Diet (Day 3)

Hi Everyone! I recently saw a video about the abuse of animals in the meat industry and it really turned my stomach. I have not been able to even think about eating meat for 3 weeks. The thing is, I am starving and I think I might even be losing it menatally! Could there be something in meat that our bodies have to have or maybe I am just going through an adjustment period. I have been trying to get protein from other sources such as balance bars and luna bars.

In the past week I have broken up with my BF of 3 years, told off a Senior director at work and just have been crying alot. I don't know if it is related to the no meat. Any vegetarians out there have any suggestions on how to stay full?

I turned veg for the same reason a few years ago (saw a video). I had no problems abstaining from it physically, but mentally I craved it. But I didn't have any emotional issues like that.

There are PLENTY of things you can eat other than meat to get the nutrients. Turn to nuts for protein and vegetables for more vitamins you need. You don't need meat to survive. But it does take a little bit to shake the cravings and other things.

What else have you been eating? Have you considered fish? (I think you can still have fish even with your objections to the meat industry). I have lots of veg. friends (who are veg. for the same reasons as you) who still eat fish. Makes things easier for them.

Another favorite source of protein for me is beans. All sorts of yummy ones out there.

What I can't handle is that bloody oozing maxi pad they put under the meat on the styrophome tray at the supermarket - yuck! Serves to remind us that we are eating things that have faces and don't want to be killed.

On the other hand carrots don't want to be eaten either but they don't have faces.

OP, your mood changes might be linked to no meat - your body getting used to the lack of steroids and whatnot that come with meat.

Like the other poster said, eat nuts and beans - balance bars etc are good, but I doubt that there is enough protein in them.

Hi Everyone! I recently saw a video about the abuse of animals in the meat industry and it really turned my stomach. I have not been able to even think about eating meat for 3 weeks. The thing is, I am starving and I think I might even be losing it menatally! Could there be something in meat that our bodies have to have or maybe I am just going through an adjustment period. I have been trying to get protein from other sources such as balance bars and luna bars.

In the past week I have broken up with my BF of 3 years, told off a Senior director at work and just have been crying alot. I don't know if it is related to the no meat. Any vegetarians out there have any suggestions on how to stay full?

Breaking up with your boyfriend...telling off the big cheese at work...crying a lot...somehow I think this goes a lot deeper than just not eating meat...in fact, your "meat strike" is probably yet another symptom of what really ails you...the deep rooted issue that has caused you to be radical in those other areas of your life as well. So I would suggest you sit down and figure out what is really going on..why you are changing how you behave..because every single one of those radical changes has to do with some issue you are not dealing with. It is not the lack of meat.

A great protein source is soy beans. Lots of places call it edamame to make it sound cooler. I like them just as something to snack on.

I also agree with the thing about fish. I mean, you can't really abuse fish can you?

If you go to a seventh day adventist grocery market they have a whole bunch of vegetarian food products that are made to look like meat.

I am still eating fish but its hard to eat fish every day. I have tried tofu in many forms and I just can't eat it. I also have been having headaches. Maybe I am just tired and grouchy because I am so hungry. Since its new to me, I am not completely prepared and if I can't find an easy substitute I just don't eat.

I admire anyone who is vegan. That takes a lot of work and dedication. Thanks for the tips!

You're having headaches b/c your body isn't getting its nutrients. It has nothing to do with the meat--your body just isn't getting food like its used to.

I never ate soy products when I was veg. I ate a crap ton of vegetables and fruits and chocolate (ok taht was just for fun). I never liked soy burgers or anything so I didn't eat it. I found nutrients other ways.

I am still eating fish but its hard to eat fish every day. I have tried tofu in many forms and I just can't eat it. I also have been having headaches. Maybe I am just tired and grouchy because I am so hungry. Since its new to me, I am not completely prepared and if I can't find an easy substitute I just don't eat.

I admire anyone who is vegan. That takes a lot of work and dedication. Thanks for the tips!

you shouldn't eat fish everyday.

what about beans? beans are yummy with seasonings and cheese and such.

i LOVE veggie burgers.

Also love tofu now, but it took awhile to get used to.

I eat a lot of beans, lentils, etc.

I eat meat now but I didn't for years. (Although, honestly, I can't remember the last time I ate meat... it's been awhile)

link removed

that's the site for the SDA food products stuff. Some are actually pretty good. I used to really like one that they call FriChick. Oh and their chili beans. mmmmmmm Maybe when I go to my parent's house this weekend I'll steal some.

Are they good for you? I honestly have no friggin clue.

Can I ask what you are eating? If your diet is good, a lack of meat shouldn't make you feel so bad.

Yeah. Honestly, some vegetarians shock me. I knew this one girl that was vegetarian that didn't like vegetables.

All she ever ate was pasta. How can that be good for you????

I need to see that video, not that I want to, but I HATE animal abuse and if I'm eating meat I have to know what I'm supporting. By the way, are there any places where they're treated and killed humanely? Like the meat from Mcdonalds and all those places come from cows that were cruelly slaughtered, right?

I have to guess that fast food places use the cheapest meat possible in their menus due to the nature of the business, so it's almost a guarentee that it's factory farms etc.

Free range is the way to go if one still wants to eat meat. It's much more expensive usually but in my view it is actually the "correct" price for meat. I think meat is too cheap (for the consumer) considering the havoc it causes on the environment and suffering the animals go through. It is my belief that "the west" eats too much meat.

Yeah. Honestly, some vegetarians shock me. I knew this one girl that was vegetarian that didn't like vegetables.

All she ever ate was pasta. How can that be good for you????

Yea, my daughter is a vegetarian. I eat more vegetables than she does.

I refer to her as a "Junketarian."

I need to see that video, not that I want to, but I HATE animal abuse and if I'm eating meat I have to know what I'm supporting. By the way, are there any places where they're treated and killed humanely? Like the meat from Mcdonalds and all those places come from cows that were cruelly slaughtered, right?

I saw the video on CNN's website recently. It was a pig farm in Iowa. They supply Hormel meet.

Right now I am living on pasta, fish a few times a week, I tied Morningstar chix nuggets and didn't really like them. I thought about free range, maybe some day but I will but honestly I just lost the taste for it after the video. I have to agree that fish probably are not tortured, at least I hope not! Short of going out and killing your own food in the wild how can you really be sure.

I just lost the taste for it after the video.

I stay away from watching that type of stuff. Ignorant of me? Maybe. But I think I'm happier that way. This is one situation in which being blissfully ignorant, as wrong as it may be, actually works out for me.

I was a veggie for a few years when I was in my twenties. My body did not like it and even following a vegetarian diet that included many of the food listed here, I became severely malnourished and went down to 108 pounds. I'm 5'8" so that was not good. My doctor told me to have meat as legumes weren't doing it for me protein wise. I even tried the Morning Star Farms stuff (yuck), but nope, my body wanted MEAT! Now, I eat some meat, not a lot, and I am fine. Ideologically I am a vegetarian, but pragmatically, I don't want to ruin my health. I mean, animals eat animals because their bodies require it and the victims suffer greatly. So maybe some of us need to remember this.

I stay away from watching that type of stuff. Ignorant of me? Maybe. But I think I'm happier that way. This is one situation in which being blissfully ignorant, as wrong as it may be, actually works out for me.

Yea....I'm with ya.

Plus you have to ask who is putting this stuff out, and are you getting the whole picture.

Archived