Missing my Dad

Odysseus

My dad passed away this last spring, and I miss him.

He gave me so much as a child. The desire to build things...I'm pretty handy at home renovating, small metal and woodworking projects.

Appreciation for the arts...I eventually majored in Art in college, and still remember his eclectic music (rock, jazz, classical).

He had an eye for detail in his relationship with me and my sister. We'd visit him once a month when we lived in Milwaukee, but he's always have everything planned out. He was a very good cook.

Loved the outdoors. I learned an appreciation for camping, hiking...solitude.

An yet, he was very sad. Never got past my Mom leaving him. An alcoholic. Probably battled depression his whole life.

It was so tough in the end. Three years of little strokes...cutting him down every few months.

I love and miss him.

I am so sorry, it must be hard to lose a parent. HUG

It's a particular kind of issue when your best memories of them are from your childhood. I think...my sister and I got the best of him when we were kids. Then, tragically, he just never was able be happy, satisfied with his life for many reasons. We saw him regularly, but we can't fix people in our lives.

The mixed feelings of disappointment at his alcoholism, other issues at the end muddied the waters. I was angry with him many times during his last three years. Sigh.

5 Beginner Woodwork Project Ideas
5 Beginner Woodwork Project Ideas

Archived